Please read ... It's important

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Chat' started by Bbybump16, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Bbybump16

Bbybump16 Well-Known Member

2. mummywanabe

mummywanabe Well-Known Member

Am already signed up to donate cord blood unfortunately due to lack of funding it depends on the day i give birth if they can take blood which is a pity to think I may not be able to donate depending on what day baby decides to come! !! And much less painful for both parties than a bone marrow transplant

3. Bek234

Bek234 Well-Known Member

Signed! :D
    My local hospital don't do this... Hopefully they will start x

Tapatalking. X

4. babyslog

babyslog Well-Known Member

How can i find out if my hodp does it girlys? X

5. CARNAT22

CARNAT22 Well-Known Member

I think these are the only hospitals that do it

http://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/cordblood/howtodonate/wherecanidonate/

I was at UCH but unfortunately the MW's I spoke to really put me off. One said that the 'company' that dealt with the donations recently lost their contract and she didn't know enough about the company that had taken over to recommend that I do it.

I also got the impression that the MW's find it a hassle (something else they had to do?)

Not sure how useful mine would have been in the end as I had to deliver placenta immediately - I wanted delayed cord clamping - as they were worried James hadn't been getting enough Oxygen and needed to check the placenta ASAP. I don't know how this would have impinged on donating cord blood.

xxxxx

#5 CARNAT22, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  6. babyslog

babyslog Well-Known Member

Ahh no mines not on that list.

I wanted dekayed clamping aswell. Obv depends on situation at the time tho xx

7. Bek234

Bek234 Well-Known Member

I've got delayed clamping on my birth plan too :) I don't know why everyone doesn't have this! Xx

Tapatalking. X

8. Bek234

Bek234 Well-Known Member

If possible (obviously lol) xx

Tapatalking. X

9. H16

H16 Well-Known Member

Signed :) x

10. Clairabelle

Clairabelle Well-Known Member

I goT a leaflet about this from my local hospital and was going to sign up but I also wanted to do the delayed cord clamping and according to the leaflet if you do that you won't be able to donate the cord blood as well :-( x

11. CARNAT22

CARNAT22 Well-Known Member

Wow, I didn't know that but yes you are right Clairabelle.

The delayed clamping will allow the blood in the cord to continue to pass to baby and therefore there will be nothing left to be collected!

As selfish as it sounds I think we'd all rather our own baby receive the health benefits of the delayed clamping as opposed to opt for immediate clamping.

In my situation I'd have happily agreed for the blood to be used because I couldn't have the delayed clamping [not sure if it could have been used??] but it's not feasible unless there is always someone on hand to collect the cord blood.

If there is some way they could have the cord blood donation as a secondary option (for those that do plan or need immediate clamping) then I'd support that.

xxxxxx

#11 CARNAT22, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  12. Clairabelle

The leaflet also said that even if you do sign up for the cord blood donation, it depends if anyone is available on the day to collect it and also even if there is your blood may not necessarily be used so yes as much as I would love to do it and think I'm helping someone else, I agree with you Carnat and would rather go with the delayed cord clamping and help my baby first and foremost xx

13. IslaSorna

IslaSorna Member

14. JJ Mum

JJ Mum Well-Known Member

Signed this , thanks for posting

Ive been on the anthony nolan register for years, but would love to do this, seems such a waste, where is the national lottery to help fund a start up at more hosps or more storage.

I dont think theyd want mine as id had a transfusion anyway as i cant give blood now, but fab idea

15. MrsCK

MrsCK Well-Known Member

signed x

16. BunnyN

BunnyN Well-Known Member

I had delayed cord clamping and there was no blood left in the cord. The MW wanted a drop of blood to do a test and only just got enough for that.

17. Clairabelle

BunnyN, if you have delayed cord clamping does that mean you have to deliver the placenta naturally and you don't have the injection to deliver it. If so, how long did it take for your placenta to deliver ? xx

18. BunnyN

BunnyN Well-Known Member

You cant have the injection before the cord is cut but you can still have it after if you are bleeding too much or you just want to speed it up. I wanted to deliiver the placenta naturally anyway. Tbh not sure exactly how long it took because was too busy having cuddles but it was pretty quick, maybe 15 mins after the birth, it was right after the cord was cut. I said "oh, Im going to have a contraction is it okay if I push" and it was out in two pushes.

19. BunnyN

BunnyN Well-Known Member

#19 BunnyN, Jun 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  20. iWitch

iWitch Well-Known Member

Signed. I can't believe the small amount of NHS hospitals that offer this :(