please help

i am going to seem like a stupid idiot now but i keep reading about pelvic floor exercises (no idea wot they are) and exercises i should do during pregnancy but my midwife has not sed anything about this to me (a bit usless lol) so i was wondering if anyone had any advice
sarah and bubba

Hi, have you got the green and purple nhs pregnancy book coz its in there page 16. hope it helps :)

Basically any time you can you are supposed to tighten the muscles you use to stop your pee coming out (sorry for the graphic image LOL)

The more you do them the less trouble you will have later, I really should do mine more... some women do them eg. every time the adverts come on the TV.
If you don't do them, later on in life you will have a problem holding pee in when you sneeze etc.
However, it's never too late to start so do some right now!

I know which muscles to use but I can't do it...

Kim said:
I know which muscles to use but I can't do it...

It's hard at first, and if they are already weak. Mine are weak from my first pregnancy so it's an effort.
You don't have to squeeze and hold, just squeeze and relax over and over and it'll become easier over time.

It's really worth doing, as I have had a few sneeze moments where I almost leaked :oops: and I thought that would never happen until I was at least 50 and I'm 28!

Kim - this is how I was taught. The muscles you use to 'push' your wee out are your pelvic floor muscles. When you hold your wee you are contracting these muscles to hold it in. The next time you go for a wee - stop and start your 'stream' - that is basiclly how you do it. As your muscles get stonger you will be able to do it even if you need a wee without peeing yourself. :lol: You will also be able to lift the muscles which feel higher up inside you after you have done it for some time. I try and remember to do it about 20 times a day - although more often ends up 20 a week :wink:

HTH!! xx

I have tried to do pelvic floor but I don't know if its because the baby is low but it feels really uncomfortable when I do them. Might be because I am also constipated.

This weekend I am starting swimming and am going to go every sunday for as long as I can till the baby comes. Its supposed to be good for all the muscles in your body and also when you get really big it must be lovely to feel weightless in water and release some pressure.

All I need to do now is find a maternity costume that doesn't cost a fortune!

:) Lou

Additions catalogue (formerly argos additions) do nice stuff.

When can u start aquanatel???? - think I asked this somewehre else but never read a reply :oops:

Cheers. Can I get that from any argos store though or is it catalogue only?

As for, what did you call it?, aquanatal..I'm not sure when it starts. I have antenatal on friday so I'll ask then. Its awkward for me because I had a bad experience at my local hospital so I'm going to a hospital out of area (Epsom) so I pretty much have to arrange all my own antenatal and classes and things.

I'll let you know what I find out on friday :)

Lou

aquanatel is antenatel swimming and exercise classes specially for PG women - is this what u r doing???

It was formerly Argos - not anymore - It's now Additions Direct in it's own name. I think you can get the catalogue from some Boots stores but their website is www.additionsdirect.co.uk

HTH xx

Thanks again. On sunday I'm just going swimming with my sis and bf but I am going to ask my midwife about aquanatel too.

:)

I thought I would add for encouragement,

that doing your pelvic floor exercizes is said to improve sex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back