Please help advice needed

Babygiz

Reaction score
Hi all

Midnight on Monday I gave birth to my first son, delivery wasnt the greatest but he arrived safe and sound which is the main thing. Before he was born I decided that I wanted to give breastfeeding a go to try and give him the best start.

Tuesday and wed he was fine with no problems feeding however it came to yesterday with the hotter temperatures and he started getting jaundice and didn't seem to be getting enough fluids. I purchased the aptimil starter set and gave him a top up so that at least I knew he had received some liquid.

However through the night my son has literally screamed the house down with hunger, he has been on the breast for 2 x 10 minutes sessions but after each of these he was still hungry and wouldn't latch back on. I've ended up giving him a 10 ml top up out a 90 ml bottle with aptimal and therefore have wasted a lot of milk as the guidance is it shouldn't be reused after two hours.

How do you keep your baby full in the days between being born and the milk coming in?? Fo you provide an aditional top up if so how ?

Do you have any methods you could share that will help me have at least two hours sleep and not become bankrupt with 10 ml top ups.

Thanks on Advance

Hun u have to just keep feeding. Its pretty constant in the beginning. Your milk will come through by about day 4 I think. I wouldn't top up personally it's more important he suckles to encourage your milk supply. Its tough I know. The first 6 hours after b was born she was attached the whole time or she'd cry. Xxx

I'm not an expert, but would say offer your baby your breast as often as possible- they will bring your milk in with their suckling. I would avoid topping up if you can- baby will seem constantly hungry, but that is how the supply and demand system of breastfeeding works. What baby needs, your body will supply. I believe it is very unusual to not produce enough milk, so I would keep going with latching on as much as possible.

Good luck! :)

Night 3 seems to be the worst for a high percentage of children, as its usually about the time colostrum changes to milk

Unfortunately topping up won't help as your body won't get the signals that it needs more milk, you really do need to just keep putting LO to the breast.

It seems constant at this stage but it will get better. It won't always be two hourly. X

The first week or so I was feeding every 90 minutes. Even at night. Looking back I'm surprised I got through it but our bodies are amazing. As the girls have said keep offering breast to baby when ever they want it - this is the best way of building up your supply. If you give top ups it might affect your milk supply, which can then cause a vicious circle. The first few weeks are the hardest but it does get easier.

Have you had LO weighed yet? I wouldn't top up provided LO hasn't lost to high a percentage of birth weight.

A friend had issues with her milk supply and a lazy baby suckling, she was advised to express to know how much LO was getting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back