playing on my mind - opinions?

littlesmoosh

Reaction score
last weekend we visited OH's mum and stepdad. dex fell asleep in OHs mums car on the way there. and when we got there OH's mum said to just leave him in the car because it would be difficult to get him out without waking him as its only got 2 doors so would need to wiggle the car seat out. well i just wasnt comfortable leaving him to sleep in the car. for two reasons, 1 - it was about 22 degrees outside and i was scared he would over heat, even though she insisted it would be fine with the window open. and 2. what if someone took him? she wanted us to go eat dinner round the back of the house. so i wouldnt hear or see him. so i said no. i wanted to bring the carseat with us. so her and OH told me several times that i was being paranoid and over protective. OH alwaaaaaaaays agrees with his mum. honestly she could say 'micky mouse was actually a horse' and OH would agree with her. drives me insane.
well anyway, i insisted that he got lifted out the car (think she was scared the carseat would scrape the paint or something!). dex stayed asleep, and all was fine.

but its just so annoying. i really dont think im overprotective with dex, i think im the right amount of protective/caring/responsible. i would never have forgiven myself if something had happened to him. his safety is paramount to me. and the fact tht OHs mum and OH (although i know if she hadnt suggested it he never would have) made me feel stupid for worrying so much has really pissed me off. you would think she would understand, what with being a mum also and all!

what do you guys think?? x

I'm stunned she would even think it never mind suggest it! Never in a million years would I leave Harry in a car on his own. Like you said what he was to overheat, but more importantly, ANYTHING could happen to him if he was left on his own without supervision. Good on you for sticking to your guns! xxx

I'm with you 100%! Even on a cool day a baby shouldn't be left in the car. With windows open & where you can't see him? With all the freaks out there nowadays that's like a "help yourself" invitation.
You were spot on to insist Dex get taken out & OH should sprout some balls & stick up for you.
So what if you overprotective (I don't think you were in this instance), you're his mummy, you're allowed to be.

I really don't think you we're being overprotective at all! Who leaves a baby in a hot car completely unsupervised while they go off out of sight and have dinner!? I think that's crazy! Anything could happen to him!
I think you did the right thing, I'd kick up a right stink if anyone told me to do that!

glad you guys see it the way i do! honestly i feel like me and my MIL are in a power struggle battle with one another. i think shes used to having everything in her control and then along comes me lol. im very opinionated and brash and i would never and will never compromise myself for her or anyone else. she can be so absurd sometimes! dont get me wrong, she does have good qualities. but arrrrrrgh.

Good on you for standing your ground! I have left my son in the car outside our kitchen window before while i quickly prepared dinner and the very rare time ive had to run into a shop for 2 minutes but in this heat, i would never leave him. He was only in the car for 5 minutes wednesday as i drove back from my mums and in that time he had become all sweaty. I dont worry so much about him being kidnapped but more about him getting heat stroke or just scared and distressed at waking up and me not being there. There was a campaign video that i saw on youtube about the danger of leaving a child in a car and its quite upsetting to watch but very potent! Maybe get your OH and MIL to have a look

http://www.ksat.com/news/video-depi...-car/-/478452/21201054/-/7ietvfz/-/index.html

yeah ive read loads of stories about children dying because of overheating in cars. its just awful, i would never ever take a risk with him.

You definitely did the right thing! Ethan always falls asleep in the car and is a misery guts if he gets woken up so I usually make OH sit in the car and wait until he wakes up lol xx

Good grief I'd never do that even on a freezing cold day! No way would I leave the most precious thing in the world in a car on their own, absolutely anything could happen xx

Ridiculous. You are of course in the right. Get them on the phone to the local police force/social services and get them to ask their opinions on the subject. Your baby your rules, especially when their suggestions are just dim and unwise!
Xxx

You are totally right! NEVER leave your child alone in a vehicle! There's so many risks - over heating, someone pinching baby, someone pinching the car with baby in it (it has happened!), if the car gets hit by another car or if something like the handbreak fails. My OH left our LO in the car once when he ran in into his mums once and I gave him the bollocking of his life! Wrong wrong wrong!

I agree, she's a bit ridiculous for even suggesting it in the first place no on in their right mind would do that. Can you imagine if something had happened to him?! Doesn't bear thinking about.

You are definitely right! I can't believe someone would even think that leaving a baby in a car is ok?! Your oh should also have been on your side!

I'm shocked she would even think it....i'd also be totally weary about leaving baby with her after that suggestion! You were totally right...i'd be so angry!!

OMG!! How dare she suggest such a thing and then have the nerve to call you overprotective!! I would have done exactly the same thing if my MIL had dared to suggest I leave him in the car. No chance!

Well done you for sticking to your guns. Your OH is just like my hubby. It's a nightmare!!

:shock: not in a million years would I leave my child out of sight and reach, alone anywhere let alone a boiling hot car! I dare say a police officer would have had something to say too if they walked past an empty car with a sleeping child or even a distressed child at being left alone.
And of course there's the risk of someone kidnapping them. Well done for standing your ground with her, what a foolish thing for her to suggest! Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

The fact that the car was out of sight is absolutely ridiculous!! Don't feel stupid in the slightest!! I have no idea how somebody could suggest that and I think I would have been fuming at my OH if he went along with it!

I do leave Ella asleep in the car if she has only just fallen asleep and needs to have a nap.. BUT... It is on the drive with the gates closed and I leave all the windows down whilst its hot and I stand on the front garden next to the car until she wakes... The thought of her waking alone in a car is horrible! I would never ever dream of leaving her where I couldn't see her!

You def did the right thing xx

Mummy to Ella 18/11/11
Baby Boy due 17th Dec 2013

Completely agree there's no way I'd have left him either. A few times max has fallen asleep in the car and OH has said shall we leave him there and I point blank refuse, either stay in the car or he gets brought in, a few times oh has lifted car seat and all to make sure he stays asleep :) xxx

thanks for having my back guys! it deffo does make me wary of leaving dex with her. i just dont understand the woman most of the time. spoke to OH last night after posting this and he appologized and has promised to climb out of his mums butt! lol. xx

Omg, you totally did the right thing. If you'd left him in the car you might have found social services taking him off you and you getting a criminal record for child neglect so tell MIL to put that in her pipe! I'm glad your OH has seen sense and apologised xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back