plastic backed bibs and newborns?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Chat' started by winnie89, Feb 18, 2012.

1. winnie89

winnie89 Well-Known Member

does anyone know whether or not to use them SIL gave a load of newborn ones but i always thought you had to use fabric ones?

2. lyndsey_28

lyndsey_28 Well-Known Member

You can use what u want hun, but personaly i dont like the plastic backed ones when they are just born prefer them later on through weaning and dribbling when teething :) xx

3. winnie89

Thanks I always thought that they'd irritate the poor lil mite's neck suppose they'd be better for saving his clothes but don't wanna irritate him

4. MrsR

MrsR Well-Known Member

We didn't use plastic backed ones until he was 6 months old and weaning and tbh even then it was easier to just strip him down! Lol x I know a few mums who love bandana bibs.

5. Zoeox

Zoeox Well-Known Member

We have a couple of plastic backed ones which we have been brought but are using fabric ones and these for emergencies :) x

6. JJ Mum

JJ Mum Well-Known Member

I would wait till later, get the little velcro or popper ones, or I found esp when breastfeeding the long cloths not muslins, but Toysrus do them, like long over the shoulder things made of terry type fabric, good for burping to pretect your clothes too, and no poppers or velco to undo , when they have gone to sleep while feeding, you can just whisk it of the front of baby where you rested it under chin

7. winnie89

i got a load of terry ones out of primark they were like £3 for 7 i think, i just didnt want to be rude to SIL and say i'm not using them when she went out and bought them! lol

8. Pudds86

Pudds86 Well-Known Member

you dont HAVE to use anything... althought I used soft bibs with milk, and plastic backed when he was eating solids xx

9. tinkerbell86

tinkerbell86 Well-Known Member

I was the same as a tiny baby I used muslin and then towelling bibs, bandana were perfect for teething and when he liked to hold the bottle himself and plastic backed were the best for weaning!!! It's all down to personal preference though!!

10. Binzy

Binzy Well-Known Member

My baby has serious vomitting issues so only the plastic ones will do for me. I don't put them on him at night though, we have a mountain of bibs I'd say keep them all, you never know!