Planned C-Section

Donna88

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This might not actually be an issue for me, but at my 20 week scan they said my placenta was a little close to my cervix. The fact that my son ended up needing forceps was mentioned, not sure if they think maybe he had the same issue... but anyway, that's not the point of this post.

I have always been pretty terrified of the idea of having a C-Section, so me and my husband would rather I had a natural birth - he is more concerned about the recovery for me after as he knows it takes a lot longer and he is worried about me suffering, I'm not fussed as much on that as I know he is extremely supportive and that we will get through it.

I have a bit of a fear of hospital and especially surgery - the thought of a C-Section is completely terrifying to me. My mum has said about whether I would ask to be put to sleep, however I know I would not want that, one because I also have a fear of being put under and not waking up, but mainly and more logically because unless it was an emergency and there was no other option, I would hate to put myself in that position where other people were holding and meeting my baby before me.

Again, not the point of this post. (sorry I feel like I'm rambling a lot but I'm trying to get across why I feel like I need to get my head around the fact that I may need to have a C-Section before it's confirmed)

So I need to have another scan at 32 weeks to confirm where about's my placenta is and how close it is to babies route out. If it's too close, it will be a planned C-Section. Obviously if they suggest this I will go for it as a planned C-Section will be better than trying for a natural labour and either having to have an emergency one or having other complications that might put my baby at risk.

So I suppose what I'm asking is how did you prepare yourself mentally for having a section and also if they are suggesting a planned C-Section, is it always around 37 weeks they do the section (unless there is a reason to do it before) or will they sometimes let you go over 37 weeks? As does going over 37 weeks not increase the risk of labour starting naturally?

Also on a side note, does having a C-Section cause problems for people who are wanting to breast feed?

Thank you in advance for your time and reading my ridiculously long post.

I am following as am in the exact same position! Mine was discovered at 28 weeks.

Daughter was also forceps and I'd like to know if sections interfere with feeding as I am a firm breastfeeder.....

Rescanning me at 34 weeks or so.

Last edited:
Interesting that we both have forceps deliveries before - I wonder if this is just a coincidence, if forceps can cause this in future pregnancies or if maybe our placenta's were a little bit too close last time as well and it just wasn't picked up on.

Hopefully we'll get some answers.

Good luck with your next scan and I hope whatever the outcome you have a happy and healthy baby, with no problems feeding.

I have had more scans this time due to a high BMI. It wasn't seen at 20 weeks but was picked up at 28 weeks.... it may be that it happened last time too but I wasn't scanned after 20 weeks so would have never known.

As I have been under anaesthetic a couple of times in the last 10 years (most recently about 2 years ago to have gallbladder out thanks to pregnancy triggered gallstones with my daughter), I know that it doesn't fuss me in the slightest. As far as I am aware with a c-section you will only have to have a spinal block to numb the feeling below your diaphram (which I had to be sewn up after my daughter.) I hated the spinal block more to be honest as I had a dry throat but couldn't cough without my diaphram, lol!!

The risks of having a low lying placenta is that if you have a natural labour, as the cervix dilates, the placenta begins to detach and you bleed really heavily quite quickly. This puts both you and baby at risk. It’s therefore highly unlikely that this was a problem last time if you had a successful forceps delivery.

The majority of the time though the placenta has moved when you go for your next scan.

A caesarean can make breastfeeding more challenging because you’re more sore, and you have cannulas in your hand etc. However if you are determined and happy to persist it’s definitely achievable

I'm in the same position - My placenta was 1.6cm from the cervix at the 20 week scan. I'm 25 weeks now, waiting for the 32 week scan as well. I'm tying to see the positives of having a C-section.. you'll know exactly what day and time you're giving birth so can be more organised, the actual procedure is very quick and you'll be totally numb, you won't be as tired from being up for hours labouring, no tearing.. Yes, recovery will probably be worse but you're not guaranteed an easier recovery from a natural birth.

We'll probably both get the natural birth we want. The odds of your placenta NOT moving up are very very slim. 5% of women have a low-lying placenta and of us, only 5% end up needing the surgery.

You can get natal hypnotherapy tracks specifically for sections :hug: x

Thanks everyone

That's brilliant princess - I'll look into them if they say I need one. Do you think using it from 32 weeks will work or should I start before Just in case

Thanks everyone

Do you think I should start looking at that before I have my scan or if I'm told at 32 weeks that I'm having a c-section would that be enough time for it to work?

Whoops didn't realise my first reply had posted as did it quickly on my lunch break haha

32 weeks would be fine I reckon :) I started mine from 30 but he was born at 36 x

Obviously as a first timer I don't have any personal experience. I did go to an antenatal breastfeeding session though and one of the ladies there knew she was having a section. They suggested some different feeding positions for her so similar groups might be worth looking into if you do find out you're having one and you want some advice.

Why do you think it'll be done at 37 weeks? I'm having an elective c-section for my 3rd in Jan, after two emergency c-sections. Here (Oxfordshire) they don't do elective c-sections before 39 weeks unless medically essential, to give baby's lungs a chance to fully develop. With my first baby I went into labour on my due date and she was born at 40+2. I went into labour with my second baby and she was born at 39+4, so I am slightly concerned I'll go into labour before my c-section date, but my consultant said that it would still be done at 39 weeks, that if that happens then I'm just to call up and explain, and they'll just get me in and do the c-section as soon as they're able to.

Last edited:
^^I didn't think it would be done at 37 weeks. I was asking it that was the case as I know that 37 weeks is counted as full term. I was induced with my first and they did it at 37; I had assumed that maybe that was the case with c-sections too - I did explain in my first post why I thought that might be the case as well, as I asked it letting you go over that risks going into labour naturally.

I have since found some information from my hospital and found that they do it at around 39 weeks.

I haven't had any experience with c-sections planned or otherwise which was why I had so many questions in my post.

Thankyou for your response, good luck with your section and your 3rd little one. I hope everything goes smoothly and you don't go into labour before the date (might be worth making sure you have a ridiculously relaxing Christmas and New year's.)

^^I didn't think it would be done at 37 weeks. I was asking it that was the case as I know that 37 weeks is counted as full term. I was induced with my first and they did it at 37; I had assumed that maybe that was the case with c-sections too - I did explain in my first post why I thought that might be the case as well, as I asked it letting you go over that risks going into labour naturally.

I have since found some information from my hospital and found that they do it at around 39 weeks.

I haven't had any experience with c-sections planned or otherwise which was why I had so many questions in my post.

Thankyou for your response, good luck with your section and your 3rd little one. I hope everything goes smoothly and you don't go into labour before the date (might be worth making sure you have a ridiculously relaxing Christmas and New year's.)

I wasn't being difficult, I just wasn't clear if it had been suggested to you that it would be done at 37 weeks so was just trying to clarify :)

Sorry, I didn't think you were. Sorry if I came across like I thought you were, it's been a long day and I'm tired :)

Have a google around at c-section birth plans (incase it does end up that way) as it'll help you think about how you can still have have some say on what happens during delivery. It might also give you some ideas of questions to ask when you next see your consultant. For example, we can have music on in theatre so I've started making a playlist of songs I'd like. During my last c-sec, they lifted the baby up and showed me as soon as she was out, then once she'd had a quick check over she was put under my top for skin to skin while they put me back together - she stayed there until we decided to get her dressed in recovery. I'd like this again so it'll be in my birth plan.

Oh wow - that sounds silly but I never even thought of still having a birth plan. That's good that they do though. I think my mind has been put at rest a lot reading the information from my hospital about them, I know that it applies to me and it's not just something I've found on the internet.

I just know I will probably go into panic the morning of if it comes to it. But I am prepared to do whatever they suggest is best for my little girl.

Your birth plan sounds lovely btw.

Hi, I just wanted to say that I had an emergency c-section with my daughter who is now 18 months, and although it wasn't planned - it was actually a very easy experience and I was fortunate enough to heal up quickly afterwards with no real discomfort. It obviously isn't ideal in that it is longer healing time and not everyone's experiences are the same, but please try not to worry. Although you hear of some horror stories - not everyone has that and a planned c-section from my friend has told me is a lot more chilled and relaxed than mine was :) Hope this helps xx

Thankyou :)

I've had my baby now and didn't need a c-section in the end (luckily as I had her naturally and so quickly that we didn't get to the hospital and delivered her between me and my husband)

I'm glad to hear your experience was good though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back