Placenta lying low...

I'm not 100 per cent sure if this is the same situation but my placenta is at the front -anterior- and I was told by my mw at 16 week appointment that if it was low lying at the 20 week scan then they would offer me another scan at 36 weeks to make sure it had moved up! Apparently they usually move up on their own- mine had!- but if not they like to check near the birth- I think its in case you need an emergency c section etc then a low lying placenta can be where they usually make the incision? I might be wrong though! X

Mine was low last time and had an extra scan to check that it had moved up before labour (it had). I was under the impression that its only a problem if it covers the cervix as if it does then you need a C-section. Am no expert though so I could be wrong!

Thanks ladies. Im no fan of info from google. I prefer personal opinions. But i had to check. Because i checked my notes after the scan yesterday and the woman had noted my placenta is lying low. I wish she had told me so i could get info from her. I didnt know so i had to look it up. So i have a scan at 36wks to reaccess. I read that it can cause bleeding towards end of pregnancy. at the end of the day this is the reason why o dont have a birthing plan in place as anything csn happen. What happens will happen. Just glad baby is ok :) xxx

I was told at my 20 week scan that mine is lying low. The only issue is if it doesn't move up on its own I may need a section. This is because the placenta being so low could make either difficult for baby to get through birthing canal. I've an extra scan booked in for week 34 to check. Midwife said most of the time the placenta will move up on its own.

You could always phone your midwife to ask for clarification x
Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

I hope it does move up as its the risk of bleeding im worried about.i have an appointment with her next wednesday. This woman who scanned me didnt even mention this. Silly moo! Xxx

I had a low lying placenta at my 20 week scan. I have another scan on Thursday to make sure it has moved up. The main issue is that if it is too low, and particularly if it is covering the cervix at all, then baby is going to have trouble getting out! My mw told me that 90% of the time they move up on their own as the uterus grows but if not a planned c section may be needed.

Try not to google as there are so many awful horror stories but actually it rarely causes problems. Your scan report should also say whether the placenta is covering the cervix or not. It will say something like 'clear of os' or 'partially/completely covering os'. If its clear of the os then the chance of bleeding is low. I panicked a bit because the Internet seems to suggest you have to be really careful like no sex, no lifting etc but when I asked my mw she wasn't concerned at all and basically said to carry on as normal xxx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back