Placenta Encapsulation

kitty2016

Reaction score
Has anyone done it? I'm planning to and was very set on the idea; feeling empowered that I'm able to do make this decision.
I know it's not for everyone, but I have lots of reasons for wanting to. One being that we are the only species on the planet that does not routinely consume the placenta! And for no reason other than it not being 'socially acceptable'.

Anyway, the reason I ask Is I was at one of my antenatal classes last night and the midwife running the session brought it up as a joke. She ridiculed the idea and claimed that "anyone who does it must be mad" and that there were "no proven benefits" etc etc.

I have a doula that is preparing my placenta and she is extremely knowledgeable, informative and I trust her completely. It has just disheartened me that a professional has reacted this way; she soon had the rest of the group in fits of laughter about how ridiculous it was.

I left the session feeling very anxious and somewhat ridiculed - even though I didn't voice that I would be consuming my placenta. My husband was very supportive and thought it was great idea - until last night. He is now also questioning it which has upset me further.

I have discussed with the doula this morning and she has again been very supportive. She was also cross that a professional would act this way with it ultimately being our own choice.

I guess I just wanted to know if anyone has been through something like this? Were the midwives at the hospital 'put off' when you told them? How did they react?

Thanks x

I was at a hospital ante natal class and it was only mentioned briefly - she asked if anybody was planning to do it amongst a longer section on placenta delivery, and with only 4 couples there, we all said no. So she didn't touch on it further! I've heard of the practice, mainly that it can help pnd, but then some mothers who had done it reported that it had the opposite effect, bringing on the blues, and they felt better when not taking the capsules. That's what changed my mind about it! I suppose the only way to know if it's right for you personally is to try it and see! :)
I hadn't come across it being ridiculed though, but it hasn't been talked about much!

Hi Kitty

I haven't done it yet but I plan to. As is my sister and a friend of ours. So you're not alone :) Having read the research, it just makes sense to me.
In general, I've found that during my pregnancy, if you have niggling doubts about something or you feel your instinct is trying to tell you something, you really have to do your own research and make your own mind up. Along the way I've had to challenge policies that didn't make sense to me and sometimes just keep my mouth shut about certain things I don't agree with so as not to offend.
There really is a lot of noise and opinions that come with pregnancy. Do what you feel is best for you, your baby and your family.

I have a friend who's a doula & also does placenta encapsulation.

Personally I'd be complaining about that midwife to the SOM. It's not right that she spoke like that.

There's a lot of evidence to suggest it helps with lots of things: breastfeeding (milk supply) and can reduce likelihood of PND too.

It was mentioned in one of my classes and I said the above but the midwife was a bit funny about it saying there's no scientific evidence of benefit... which was frustrating... but as a BF peer supporter I've also had MWs say similar about oats (oats are good for increasing & maintaining milk supply but because there have been no scientific studies into it some MWs etc are very dismissive about it... but honestly, who would fund a large scale study into something like that?! Doesn't mean it's not true.)

Anyway, I really do believe that it has it's benefits and is worth doing. I'm not doing it with mine but purely because I want to lotus birth (where the cord is not cut) and to encapsulate or consume the placenta it has to be fresh so within an hour or few hours of birth it's supposed to be rinsed & refrigerated/kept chilled and then prepared.

And FWIW it could have been anything that MW was ridiculing. I'd have been livid if a MW ridiculed lotus birth for example. Because likewise there is no scientific evidence that keeping the placenta attached once the cord has stopped pulsating has any benefit... but people who've done it are adamant their baby was calmer and happier for it.

Thank you so much for the reassurance ladies.

It's nice to know that i'm not just being uptight by being annoyed that this happened. I have had great support from the doula that's preparing my placenta and I still really do believe that the benefits are worth it.

Sesame C - You're right, I will do what is right for me and stick to my guns. I just felt extremely attacked yesterday, especially because she is the same midwife I have my birthing plan appointment with next week! After speaking with my husband about it, we've just decided that I won't mention it at the appointment and just make sure the maternity unit are aware when the time is right.

Phoenix 85 - The Midwife also talked about lotus birth! Personally it's not something that I would want but is definitely something I looked into. She was particularly offensive about this area too. I even said to my husband afterwards that I would have left the room in tears if I was planning on having a lotus birth. You wouldn't believe it!

The midwife is usually lovely and I have gotten along with her very well up until this point. Even last night she was extremely friendly, informative, supportive in most ways. I guess this has just made me re-think my evaluation form that I filled in and perhaps should mention it to someone to ensure no one else goes away feeling that bad.

Again, thank you for the support ladies. x

It's not something I would do nor is a lotus birth but it's completely up to you. I don't like the sound of it personally and not sure I'd trust the person who is doing it especially if it's just in her house for example. However I do agree mw should not have made a joke about and can see why it would make you rethink things. At the end of the day it is your choice and if you believe it will benefit you then why not? Maybe have a word with the mw and say how it made you feel. Then maybe next time she will not do that.
X

Last edited:
I'd keep it on your birth plan and make a point of discussing it with her and let her know that in future, she might be upsetting people at her talk! But then, that's me lol

I will be doing it this time around as I believe all the anecdotal evidence I have heard about the benefits, that's good enough for me! My lovely husband is also going to prepare me some raw (smoothie) immediately after our baby is born at home (all being well!)

It just feels absolutely right to me and I certainly wouldn't be listening to a mainstream midwife who probably knows absolutely nothing about slightly more alternative practises... I would trust the advice of people that do this day in day out.

I hope you feel reassured to trust your gut & your doula! It's YOUR birth experience - don't let someone you don't know or trust ruin it for you.

I really wanted to buy it was just to expensive however after suffering mild pnd I think I will next time. Shame on your midwife commenting like that

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back