Pineapple

Layla

Reaction score
What is it in a pineapple that can start labour off?

I have never heard of eating fresh pineapple untill i came here, is it a new thing or has it always been said that it can help?

I heard that but in the latest birth magazine it says it doesn't work and it's a myth.

I tried it with Amy and it just gave me the trots!! which could be what starts you off i don't know.

Why is hot curry supposed to start you off, is it the rise in body temperature or something?

I think it has something to do with the enzymes in them, apparently though you need to eat quite a lot for it to have an effect!!

not sure on the curries either lol

I have just been reading up on raspberry leaf tea, and it says that it doesnt start labour, just makes your labour easier??

Sex is the only thing that i belive in for getting labour to start but to be honest, i dont think my body is up for that.

driving fast over speed bumps worked for my friend, she swears by it

Does sex really work?

Inever know what is true and what isn't, induction was the only thing with Amy that worked!

I'm not sure about me anymore, i am just going to see what the night brings.
I read also in my mag that touch can stimulate the oxcitocin hormone that stimulates contractions, getting your partner to massage your back and feet apparently is supposed to be great. Andy has been doing that the last few nights just cos i have back ache, not for any other reason.

It's worth a try :D

sex worked both times for me, i had my two a week early from having sex, at least i think it was that and not just a fluke lol

i just found this on the net...

• Love-making Sexual intercourse is thought to work in two ways. It may trigger the release of a hormone called oxytocin — the 'contraction' hormone — and this may increase the frequency of Braxton-Hicks, or practice, contractions. Semen also contains substances called prostaglandins. These can help to ripen, or soften, the neck of the womb (cervix) ready for it to dilate when labour contractions start.

If you think your waters may have broken, don't make love as this may increase the risk of infection, but do seek advice from your midwife or your local maternity unit.

• Nipple stimulation This will release the hormone oxytocin and may help start labour. It's only likely to be successful if your cervix is 'ripe' and ready to dilate, otherwise it seems to help with the ripening process. There is no agreement on how much nipple stimulation you need, or how often, to stimulate contractions.

• Walking This is also a common suggestion. The explanation appears to be that the pressure of your baby's head pressing down on the cervix from the inside stimulates the release of oxytocin, hopefully bringing on labour. If your baby has not 'dropped' or is still high in the pelvis, walking will also encourage your baby into a better position so that labour is more likely to start on its own.

• Complementary therapies Some women find complementary therapies, such as acupuncture or reflexology, helpful for getting things moving. Always take advice from a qualified practitioner who is aware of your medical history and has experience of working with pregnant women.

You should ignore suggestions that you take laxatives, such as castor oil or enemas, which stimulate bowel action. These can lead to discomfort, sometimes pain and possibly complications, such as infections or dehydration.

ooooh-How interesting.

Might try it tonight then if i can be bothered! :roll:

good luck!! :)

can i ask a personal question..... we are at the same stage of pregnancy, have your nipples been hurting lately?

I havent had any trouble with mine at all untill today, they are really hurting, like they are ice cold and stinging, but its not cold in here, wondered if it might be another sign that labour is close?

My nipples havent changed although they seem to leak at random times! especially in the night!! I had some strong BH contractions last night that also hurt my back never had them that bad before they are normally just unconfortable. Hoping its a sign little one might appear a bit early !!

Layla- mine are really sore at the moment, stinging more than anything and they have gone even more sensitive.

I really hope something kicks off tonight i have been in such agony all day that it would be a major disappointment if it doesn't. :(

same here, it would be lovely to have the baby before xmas.

best of luck girls!

xxxx

yeah but knowing my luck I'll end up in labour on xmas day! I want my xmas lunch so I have told little one he or she can do what they like after I have had my turkey!

Amy's mum said:
Layla, are you having discomfort in anyway?

lots but im not sure if its normal pregnancy pains or not.

getting alot of presure "down there" feel like i need to go to the loo.

to walk is a joke now, my hips and legs get pains and i feel like my flower has been kicked.

getting peroidy type aches low down in my tummy but nothing seems to come of them

ooooh we could do one of those who's due now posts, there is that many of us with niggles we could all go in labour at the same time!! Lol :lol:

Mine is aching in my back and legs more at the moment, not much going on in my stomach just achy.

I've got a fresh pineapple downstairs that I may attack tomorrow. Tried a whole one a couple nights ago but no joy - it was very tasty though!

Hello

I have been having period type pains as well andlower back pain but nothings happening either maybe its jsut a sign that the babys gonna come soon, but not quite yet????? Ah i don't know its so hard to tell unless your actually going into labour or youve been told your, having your baby in the next few days.
I think they are tryin to get us excited over nothing lol.
Katrina

Hey girls, thought I'd join in on this one. I'm now 5 days overdue and going a little mental. Am trying everything, even had a go at sex last night but it just hurt so much we had to stop after at 5 secs. Anyway I've been convinced almost everyday for the past 2 weeks that I'm about to go into labour. Have odd low pains every day (which turn out to be just wind!) and had the pinky show for 3 days last week. Still nothing. My nipples have started getting quite sore recently so maybe that's a sign. My midwife says he's all ready to go, fulling engaged etc. I have my 41 weeks appt on Thurs so am hoping they may give me a sweep to get things going. I can't stand all this uncertainty!!!

I know, it's the uncerrtainty i hate as well.

It must be a busy day at the hospitals on Thursday you are the 4th that has said they have an appointment that day including me!! Lol

I have just been for a long walk with Amy, baby was pushing down all the way round, i have stomach ache now but i am definately not thinking of it today, it was such a let down yesterday. :roll:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back