Photography

lisey

Reaction score
Hi all,

Is anyone into photography? Taken a course etc?

I need a new focus (away from ttc) and I love photography, have always been into creative things and want to extend on it. I want to think about doing it as a side job or even instead of my job. I was just wondering where to start? I have looked at some courses which are very very expensive and I am not sure which are recognised qualifications as I have only ever done courses in childcare.

Any help and advice appreciated x

Sounds like a really good idea honey, but sorry no advice for you as I am rubbish at photos!!!
Hopefully someone will be able to help, def def keep looking into it xxxx

Thanks hun, I need a new focus and its something I love doing so will be fun to get into :) x

I looked into photography courses a few years ago. The best ones I found were official qualifications run by local colleges (there were full-time, part-time and evening courses available, but I don't remember the exact qualifications) I also looked into weekend boot camp options as I wanted someone to physically show me what to do with my camera.

I was less bothered about the prestige of the qualification and more interested in whether they're teaching me what I want to know - some courses focus more on post-photography editing (i.e. Photoshop skills) than they do on the actual photography and I was keen to make sure I had the balance weighted towards the taking photos part!

I think those courses could be a great way to set you up for potential sideline-work, but they could also be at the pricier end of the scale compared to online stuff. For me and with something as practical as photography, I wanted plenty of hands-on guidance from an experienced pro - more likely from a college / weekend course than online tutorials.

In the end, I decided that as I was happy being an amateur photographer, it was better to invest in my career than my hobby, so ended up studying something else. I still think if I ever have any spare cash - and time - I'll look into something like this again. I do love photography.

Also, just to add that someone who works closely with photographers (including hiring them and recommending good ones) the best piece of advice I can give you if you're serious about the side job / new career venture is to spend as much as you can possibly afford on getting an AMAZING bespoke website designed by professionals. The competition is fierce and I wouldn't think twice about closing a photographer's website if I thought it looked in the slightest bit amateurish.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks for your reply, is really helpful :) I agree about the website, needs to be top-notch, I am the same, if I see a shabby website, I don't bother. I am lucky in that my OH is in that profession so he can help me out with that side of things x

Oooh... that's very lucky! Defo take advantage of that :)

This is something I'd really like to do. I'm going to work at learning as much a I can through youtube and websites first and then hopefully one day invest in a better camera and do a course.

I'm doing at degree in photography at the moment, which is costing me a fortune! When i was younger i started a project called 365, where you take a photo every day for a year. Although this sounds tedious i learned loads through doing it as it forced you to think of new subjects and techniques in which to photograph. Alongside that utilise youtube and other similar websites, gather your skills base. I also suggest looking at some photographers you like the looks of, just type something simple into google like portrait or landscape, anything you like the sounds of. Find out about different photographers, what they do, why they do it, how they do it, really try and find someone you connect with and are inspired by. Then when you feel confident enough offer to photograph some people you know, nothing major just some portraits, anything to get your name out there. Then hopefully if you're good enough it will snowball and people will know your name. Feel free to check out some of my work if you like Facebook - katherine paul photography
Good Luck! xx

Thanks for your reply, that sounds like a good plan and I will definitely come look on your fb page :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back