phasing out dream feeds

kat1988

Reaction score
basically ruby has her last bottle at 6pm and sleeps 7.30ish - 7 atm with 1 dreamfeed, if I don't dream feed her she doesn't wake for it untill about half 5 now so I think it's time to start phasing it out but I'm not sure how!

she's only 13 weeks but she eats and sleeps amazingly for her age so am not worried about her going so long without food, any advice on how to go about getting rid of that last dream feed?

Why in such a rush. I dream fed Sol till he was 10 months! X

That's pretty amazing that she sleeps that long at her age. I'd say you're pretty lucky. I've never expected mine to sleep through until they're much older and atleast weaned x

not in any rush really I just thought if she's not wanting it till about a hour/hour and a half before her next feed mayb it's time to get rid? or at least start thinking about it? (she goes 4-5 hours between feeds during the day)

Could you maybe give her her last feed at 7ish? My lo has her last bottle at 7 and sleeps 7pm-8am x

yeh I think I'll try giving her last bottle a little later tonight and see what happens,

and yes I know she's an amazing sleeper and has been since just a couple of weeks old, trust me I'm very grateful, and I don't want to change this!

I had a dream feed until I had 3 established good solid meals do around 6.5 m. I would keep the dream feed as 13 weeks is still tiny, you have loads of growth spurts ahead of you and you risk her to start waking at 2 for a feed at some point.

Anyway that's how we did it, I kept offering her some milk at 10.30 until she practically stopped taking it and she would cry annoyed if I tried to dream feed her. So practically she decided when she could do without a dream feed.

I suppose if you want to do it early you should start offering less and less at that dream feed and increase her morning/daily bottles.
Again though I wouldn't drop it just yet, most baby's dont sleep completely through with no milk feeds at all until much later.
7-7 is quite a long time for a tiny baby with a tiny tummy :)

with my eldest we stopped at 9 months. we gradually over a couple of weeks dropped oz's until she was just pissed off about her waking for a tiny amount.

I never went down the route of dream feeding, I figured he would wake if he wanted it and I let him find his own routine. I would probably be tempted to stop giving get it and see what happens. It's a risk though when you're used to a good nights sleep lol! X

thanks all, here's the plan... I gave ruby half a bottle at 6 (120mls) then bath and cuddles as normal then other half of bottle at 7 (another 120mls) she went to sleep as soon as she'd burped, normally takes 20mins at least, am not going to dream feed her tonight and just see what time she wakes, will just see what happens and let u know tomorrow

I know I'm incredibly lucky with her sleeping and if it doesn't work it's not a big deal, I genuinely think she's just an easy baby...sorry to everyone else!

thanks all, here's the plan... I gave ruby half a bottle at 6 (120mls) then bath and cuddles as normal then other half of bottle at 7 (another 120mls) she went to sleep as soon as she'd burped, normally takes 20mins at least, am not going to dream feed her tonight and just see what time she wakes, will just see what happens and let u know tomorrow

I know I'm incredibly lucky with her sleeping and if it doesn't work it's not a big deal, I genuinely think she's just an easy baby...sorry to everyone else!

Good idea, the only way to find out whether she truly wants it or not is to leave her to shout for it herself, that's the way I did it! If they're offered it like clockwork chances are they will take it (my greedy chops would anyway!) x

well she didnt wake untill half 6 this morning (about 20mins off normal) so I'm guessing she doesn't need it! and she's so happy this morning as well, so I think we'll stick to this!

Yey great news! My LO slept from 7-7 at 12 weeks x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back