Pessary Experiences?

naomi88

Reaction score
Hi ladies

If I haven't gone into labour naturally by the 12th September, I am going to be going in for a pessary induction. Just wondering what people's experiences were... how long did it take? Was it painful having it in? Can you have a bath once you've had it inserted? Did you need any further interventions?

Thanks in advance!
Xxx

I had a pessary induction, it was a little uncomfortable being put in a bit like a sweep but afterwards I didn't feel it but be careful drying yourself after the loo as it can bring it out (happened to another girl who was being induced the same day as me).I can't answer about the bath unfortunately. Unfortunately the pessary only gave me a few contractions that got me from 1-2cms so I had my waters broke and drip up but nothing worked so I had emcs as only ever got to 3cm and this was 36hours after the start of the induction process.

Hope everything goes well for you sorry mine wasn't a positive story x

Thanks - and all feedback welcome positive and negative! I had an emcs last time and wanting to avoid it being too traumatic this time because my blood pressure ended up rocketing and staying high for a while after so my consultant has said that she will give the pessary 24 hours to work, and if nothing then will break my waters and if nothing another four hours after that I will have a section. So hoping to avoid it being too much of an emergency! Can't ever really tell how it's all going to pan out I guess though.

Presuming maybe no to the bath then if it can come out on the toilet! Xxx

Hi Naomi, I had a pessary with my first and found it being put in fine (i'm a bit of a tough cookie but I think by anyone's standards it wasn't much worse than an internal exam..) Not sure about baths as I didn't have that luxury :( I was in a horrid, rammed induction day ward in a bed! The only thing I found was when I started contracting it was agony.. There was a constant burning and pain down there.. As contractions were irregular they wouldn't take it out but I was screaming so they finally had a look and I was 5cm gone within an hour! The relief when it came out was immense.. So if you feel something is happening and the pessary doesn't feel right, fight for them to examine you! I honestly felt like they didn't believe me and I was in unnecessary (extra!) pain because of it.. Good luck though, so close! xxx

Ooh and as a bit of back story I was 2 weeks overdue, I was clearly ready to go I just needed a bit of a push! I think I started getting contractions around 2 hours after them putting it in but I know it's not unusual for them to have no real effect on some women.. Did the trick for me though luckily, your experience sounds less than ideal Dolly :( that was pretty much how I was prepared for my induction to go though as i've heard similar stories of being in limbo for days xx

Hi Kate!

Thanks for the info and for the tip about examination. Eesh the pain level doesn't sound too fun though!! Once I finish work on the 31st I'm going to start trying to get things moving! Xxx

I had induction with 24 hour pessary at 37+4 so wasn't ready to come out. 24hr pessary did..... Nothing �� maybe mild period pains.

I then had the 6hr pessary and that worked instantly! I had a sweep at same time. 3 hours later she was born. Active labour was noted as 37mins

The lady in the next bed was over by a week and an hour after the 24hr pessary her waters went, much to my annoyance haha.

I'm being induced again this time at 39 weeks so I expect things will go same way maybe quicker as I'm closer to due date.

My first was less traumatic as in had a nice progression, waters went, mild contractions to bad ones over 3 hours then at hospital 4cm to pushing in 3 hours. In comparison to induction which for me happened all at once not so gradual but it doesn't concern me, as I'd rather be induced than left til 42 weeks

Hi,

I was induced with my second as I was 14 days overdue! :O
The pessary, for me was awful. It was very uncomfortable being inserted and I had a bad reaction to it. Within about 15minutes I was getting very hot and breaking out in sweats it eased off then it happened again and I fainted whilst lying on the bed, my poor OH had to use the emergency call button.
I had it removed and was left until morning for doctors rounds where they broke my waters as I was 2cm and contractions then came 2 hours later and 2 hours after that baby was out.

The pessary isn't like a tampon shape its more a rectangular piece of cardboard from what i remember!

Don't worry about induction it is different for everyone. Overall, a good experience for me x

Thanks MrsMCC and Mrswoody. Good to hear some examples of how it could go! Your experience with it doesn't sound too fun mrsw but at least they took it out again! Xx

I had a pessary and to honest it really hurt felt like sand paper being pushed up there I imagined it to be like a tampon. It dis start contractions but not as regular as they like. Anyway it was unsuccessful and I ended up in an emergency section. Hope yours goes ok though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back