Perineums

ranger*goy

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

This might sound like a weird question but I've found very little specific information on the internet and in books.

Does the length of the perineum have any bearing on how severly you will tear during the birth? Mine seems very short compared to a figure quoted and I'm concerned its going to tear right through.

Thanks for your help!

Well there's no guarantee that you will or won't tear. The best thing to prevent it is to only push when you feel ready and as the midwife guides you.

I don't think the length has much to do with it as I uderstand it's more to do with being dilated enough for the size of the baby's head. If the midwife thinks you aren't big enough then they will make an incision as this is more controlled and will heal better.

I think tearing is also more common in induced labours as you tend to prgress much quicker.

ranger*goy - have you tried looking on the BabyCentre website? I've tried posting a link for you but for some reason this site won't let me do that! If you go to BabyCentre and do a search for "perineal massage" it will bring up an article which includes info on how to avoid any tears/cuts.

Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back