Peoples reaction to DD2 name

Holi

Reaction score
Hi everyone

My second daughter was born 2.5 weeks ago and she is just perfect. Love her to death and fitting in so well into our family.

My problem is her name. When I had my first daughter we chose Rosie and at the time it wasn't overly popular but since I know quiet a few. Didn't bother me too much but I always said I'd try for something a little more unpopular next time

Soon as I fell pregnant I loved the name Ginny and when she arrived we just knew that was the name for her!

When telling people her name we've had some really bad reactions 'is that even a real name?' 'You've called a girl Jimmy?!' 'Where did you get that from?' 'Why did you choose that?' 'You can tell me how to pronounce that later'

Don't get me wrong we've had some lovely comments but the negative ones have really upset me. I didn't even think it was that unusual?

I don't really know what I'm writing this just want to get it off my chest :-(

It's upset me so much that I even thought about maybe changing it (Don't worry I'm not going to!)

People are soooo rude/insensitive

I think your last sentence sums it up hun, don't get upset by people's comments. She's your baby and you gave her the name you thought most fitting!

Ginny is unusual but I have heard a lot worse so I don't know understand peoples reactions. Our son is Lucas, which 8 years ago was very unusual but there's a lot around now! I always said my next one will have a really unusual name much to my MIL's horror :lol:

Just call people on their rude comments from now on and reply with something sarcy :lol: xx

Aw sorry to hear this I had a similar reaction with one of my children from my own mum it was so upsetting with all those post birth hormones flying around.

For what it's worth I saw her name on another thread and thought ooh that's a lovely name it's nothing like Jimmy!

People are strange and always have something to say if you are not small when pregnant you are a whale they just can't help saying awful things!

You enjoy your precious baby and this special time, don't let anyone's silly tactless remarks upset you xx

How bizarre... I know two Ginnys (one with a J) and haven't ever thought it's an odd name at all. I think it's a lovely name.

Try and ignore the negative people

I know a ginny too. It's not that unusual.

I had some funny comments on my daughters name. People just don't get anything away from the norm these days.

x

My cousin in called Ginny. Short for Virginia but we've never called her that, always Ginny!! I've never thought of it as weird, yes it's unusual and she is the only one I've heard of but I love it!!!! People are so insensitive and should keep their opinions to themselves!!! Xx

Is the name of a popular Harry Potter character - can't believe you have had such a bad reaction! People are so rude, stick to your guns. Is a lovely and unusual girls name! X

I know a Ginny with J too. It's a lovely name really sweet and feminine.

Why do people say they dislike names? Why dislike any name. There are names I like more than others but I don't dislike any.
People will have an opinion on ANY name you give.

Xxx

How on earth are people getting Ginny wrong?! After Harry Potter I fail to see what on earth people can be struggling with. If they dont like it, they dont have to call their kids it but to comment on how hey feel about it is unnecessary. I have a friend who has given her children names which could be considered ridiculous, not to my taste and I do think they are too far fetched but I would never tell her that! Folks should keep quiet if they have nothing nice to say is my opinion on pretty much everything!

How rude! I can't believe some people! I think it's a lovely name and as above, how could anyone not know it after Harry Potter?! X

Thanks everyone you've made me feel tones better! Just going to have to get a bit of a backbone and stand up for our choice! Just really hope dd2 doesn't grow up hating her name! Or having to deal with stupid comments! X

My son is called Jesse I've loved the name since I was a kid and still do.

I've had so many negative comments "but that's a girls name" " oh sorry but I don't like that at all" "you and your family like weird names don't you" if anything it just made me like the name even more!

I don't understand the weird comment as its actually quiet traditional and biblical!

Xxx

My daughter is called Mabel and we get a lot of missed reactions about her name. My mum hates it and when we told her what we'd named her she said "what shall I call her?" I love ginny (reminds me of Harry Potter, huge potter fan!)

I've had people day to my face they don't like my name because it's too difficult. Morons abound! It's hyphenated so it's no more complex than Anne Marie or Julie Ann or Marie Ann and people never get their name wrong which really bugs me. I however love the fact it's unique and special to me do I bet Ginny will too!

I think Ginny is a lovely name for a little girl :) also I'm a Harry Potter fan so I'm happy you chose it ;) our son is called Harrison and people deliberately call him Harry to annoy me we have chosen 3 girls names if we do have a girl which are Clara, Claudia and Emily my mum prefers Emily and said she'd of called another daughter that and honestly I dislike the name now I've thought on it so have changed it to Wendy it's old fashioned but suits us and our family name it's no one else's choice what you name your child she has a beautiful name :) and it suits her which is all that matters. Xxx

We have a Ginny in the family and I absolutely love that name!! It's not bloody hard to pronounce or understand at all! Stupid people xxx

My son is called Jesse I've loved the name since I was a kid and still do.

I've had so many negative comments "but that's a girls name" " oh sorry but I don't like that at all" "you and your family like weird names don't you" if anything it just made me like the name even more!

I don't understand the weird comment as its actually quiet traditional and biblical!

Xxx

Have none of these people heard of Jesse James?!?!

Thanks again everyone you've made me see sense!

I'm a massive HP fan too so I'm always shocked when people don't know who Ginny Weasley is! X

Holi Ginny is a lovely name, people are so ignorant sometimes. I wouldn't dream of saying those things to another mum about her babies name! Hope you feel better after reading the comments, small minded people are definitely in the minority xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back