People thinking you're fat rather than pregnant..

Laura1992

Reaction score
Soo we had loads of relis over from various parts of the world this week. Just learnt that my great auntie was commenting to my mum about how much weight I've gained. Grr. Rude old bat! She doesn't know that I'm pregnant (with twins, at that), but it's still bloody rude!

Anyone else want a rant?

Just hold your head high as you will need a good right hook in a few months when everyone asks how long have you got? You sure it's not twins? You look like you are about to drop. Rather you than me comments etc ... People get a lot ruder the bigger you get :(
She will soon be apologising when she finds out how blessed you are to be having twins x

Luckily I never had anything like that lol! How awful. I was all bump and didn't really gain any weight

Ooh it's good to know I'm not the only one not gaining weight, I'm 5lb lighter than before I was pregnant and it's also all bump ... Don't look pregnant from the back x

At 15 weeks with twins it sounds like you are doing well for it not to be obvious you are pregnant. I have actually lost weight and don't look pregnant from the back but at 20 weeks with only one I look very pregnant from the front/side. I keep getting asked how much longer I have to go :). I didn't show so early with my 1st. There is that awkward starge before the bump is obvious that you just look thick about the middle and stop fitting well in your own clothes but maternity clothes don't work yet either. I don't actually mind all the comments about being big now thatcit shows I am pregnant. I really am huge for 20 weeks and am the 1st one to say it.

I didn't think I'd done too badly on the weight gain, I've gained a bit but not loads. I don't wear tight clothes though, so bump isn't obvious and I suppose that might make me look bigger. I am sure there will be plenty of weight gain on the horizon though!

Not necessarily, I'm now 33+4, due to position of both babies, I barely eat as there is no space left (hence the weight loss) I have barely eaten since about 27 weeks x

Hi ladies. My mother in law commented the other saying how 'big' I have got! I not far off 6 months pregnant...how big/small do people want you to look! I don't think I look any bigger than I did in my first pregnancy! It's almost as rude as when people find out you are pregnant and then ask you if it was planned!! That to me is quite a rude and personal question! Xx

Aww my mother in law creeps loads towards me, I don't know why either. It might be because my ex sister in law was awful to her. But I get compliment after compliment. However you are growing and carrying a child. You can be as big as you want to be. Wear your bump with pride and ignore the rude people :) x

Obviously some will gain and some won't, but I'm moaning that she meant fat, not pregnant looking. I'm a size 12 and 5 foot 6! I think that's perfectly healthy.

Attachments

• IMG_5044.jpg
    IMG_5044.jpg
    533 KB · Views: 43
You don't even look fat Hun, you can clearly see that is a bump forming from the shape, these wins make you grow fast though so make sure you moisturise plenty :)

Take no notice of your aunt, old people are just rude, you could always make a comment on saggy boobs see if she gets offended :)

I was a little bigger than you at that point but I'm 4 inches shorter than you so less space ... Old people think they have the right to say what they want and it won't upset people. X

Oh babe, I know it's awful and I wish people would mind their own.. It's never acceptable to comment on a person's weight so I don't know why people feel the need when a woman gets pregnant.. A family member we recently told said "oh, haha, I thought you were just getting fat again!" Wanted to slap her.. I suffered with anorexia as a teenager and find any comment about my size makes me incredibly uncomfortable. As someone else says, she'll be eating her words as soon as she knows your lovely secret xx ps. You look amazing in your picture :) beautiful little bump

Oh babe, I know it's awful and I wish people would mind their own.. It's never acceptable to comment on a person's weight so I don't know why people feel the need when a woman gets pregnant.. A family member we recently told said "oh, haha, I thought you were just getting fat again!" Wanted to slap her.. I suffered with anorexia as a teenager and find any comment about my size makes me incredibly uncomfortable. As someone else says, she'll be eating her words as soon as she knows your lovely secret xx ps. You look amazing in your picture :) beautiful little bump

Some people make you wish you never told them don't they. My new neighbour (since end of March) has nicknamed me fatty, luckily I'm not offended by it and they are actually nice neighbours, I'm about the same age as his daughter so I think he seems it's probably OK to say things that he would say to his daughter. I must say though I do find family can be the worst it is as if they have no filter. x

Obviously some will gain and some won't, but I'm moaning that she meant fat, not pregnant looking. I'm a size 12 and 5 foot 6! I think that's perfectly healthy.

Maybe she was wondering if you are pregnant but didn't want to ask directly so was fishing by saying you have put on weight?

Maybe she was wondering if you are pregnant but didn't want to ask directly so was fishing by saying you have put on weight?

Maybe, but we aren't close and she has not seen me in about 5 years so basically she was just saying that she thinks I am big. I get quite tetchy because I have a lot of Asian family on one side (her included) and they are not shy about fat shaming, and at a size 12, I'm gargantuan by their standards!

Gosh I hope a size 12 is considered healthy.. It's always been a happy midpoint for me - I have been a 4 to a 16 and I feel comfortable at a 10-12.. Haha funny you say that Laura, the particularly insensitive family member I mentioned was from my parter's Filipino side! Maybe they're more inclined to say what they think in that part of the world.. It's also generational I think, Mrs B is your neighbour on the older side? Fair play for not letting that get to you - not sure I could cope with fatty as a nickname! xx

Funny enough I had a lot of Asian patients at work that were quite blunt about my bump. He is in the older side, I'm hoping the nickname changes after the babies are here and I'm back to a slimmer version of myself :) x

It's definitely more acceptable to be blunt about things like appearance in a lot of parts of Asia. I think I'm qualified to say that as half my family are Asian and I've spent 6 years living and traveling around various parts of Asia. At a size 12, I struggled to buy clothes that fit me in many places, so I definitely got the fat comments but also compliments when deserved haha.

Aww, it is fascinating what we find acceptable in different cultures isn't it, i think at a size 12 you are most definitely not fat :). But from one twin mummy to another, I know it won't feel like it makes much difference but make sure you moisturise plenty as my skin is really sensitive, sore and splitting x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back