Peanut Butter

Engard

Reaction score
I love love love peanut butter and read that it's safe to eat in pregnancy as long as you do not have allergic tendencies, does this just refer to the mother or father too?
I'm not allergic to anything but my husband is allergic to cat hair. Could he pass his "allergic tendencies" onto the baby? Should I therefore avoid peanut butter?

I asked about this as my husband is allergic to nuts, I was told I could have a small amount but I should'nt go mad just incase and also because I have a high bmi I was told to avoid peanut butter because of the high fat content.
I don't think your husband having an allergie to cats would stop you from eating peanuts x

i remember worrying about this in my first pregnancy but my midwife told me it was fine to eat and the advice not to eat it was a little outdated. Im not sure on the advice now but my midwife didnt mention anything when i saw her at my booking in.
I'm also allergic to cat hair and have eczema but both my daughters have no allergies and i ate so much peanut butter during the pregnancies as i craved it so much.

It makes no evolutionary sense for babies to be allergic to something their mother ate in pregnancy. I think it's more coincidental than causal.

With my first two I craved peanut butter and crunchy nut cornflakes lol. Neither child has a nut allergy. Although my second child does have allergies (just not to nuts, pet fur and dust appear to be the main ones, and hummus!) I have no allergies but did have eczema as a child, their dad is allergic to cats and gets hayfever and both my kids get hayfever too.

Last edited:
I think it's only if he had an allergy to nuts. My DH is allergic to Brazil nuts & peanuts & a paediatric consultant who I work with said its best for me to avoid nuts as its possible that allergy could pass down so I've avoided all just in case. X

I ate it all through my pregnancy - I had Gestational diabetes and was advised it was a good snack when spread on crackerbreads. I have eczema and my hubby has hayfever and our lo has neither.

Peanut butter would be better for most people than sweet fruits. It has very little sugar and good fats. Sweet fruit by name has a huge sugar content, so bad for people who struggle to regulate sugar, pcos ladies, diabetics etc.. As with pretty much everything, in moderation it is all fine.

I eat peanut butter at least once a day. Last week a slice of toast with peanut butter and honey was one of the few things that would calm my stomach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back