PCOS test

Sparklegirl

Reaction score
At last I have finally got a doctor to take me seriously. I had a blood test today to test for PCOS, I have no idea why this has not been done before so in 2 weeks time I should have the results. If it is not that, then apparently it is likely to be abnormal uterine bleeding

She isnt convinced that bleeding after sex fits in with it being PCOS which I am hoping means the results will be negative. There is the option to put me on Metformin if it is PCOS but I really dont want it to be, I just fear how much more difficult it is likely to make getting my BFP.

I am so pleased I only want to have one baby so I only have to go through TTC once as long as it is a healthy pregnancy that is. It is beyond me why it is so hard for some of us while others just fall into it accidentally

Has anyone else been told they have abnormal uterine bleeding? I had not heard of it before, from what I was told yesterday its basically no medical reason for period problems

PCOS needs to have more than 1 blood test to be confirmed, including ultrasounds too.
About the bleeding, it sounds more like an infection or something than PCOS.

PCOS needs to have more than 1 blood test to be confirmed, including ultrasounds too.
About the bleeding, it sounds more like an infection or something than PCOS.

I have had a variety of blood tests before, I have had ultra sounds and a TV scan all of which have apparently been ok which is why I have been so frustrated after going backwards and forwards to the doctors and the hospital with no luck.

It very much feels that the consultant I saw just looked at me as a fat bird and was unwilling to do or tell me anything other than lose weight. Of course I do understand the importance of that and I am doing my best with it but he treated me as if that was the sole problem which it cant be. I have been suffering with the period side of it since I was 13 years old and I was rake thin then and it continued for many years while I was skinny so whatever I have is a problem not caused by (although probably exacerbated by) weight.

They have done a full STD screening- not that he told me what he was doing at the time- which was as would expect, all clear. What other sort of infection could be the cause and how can it be detected?

When I was bleeding after dtd it was a bacteria infection. Nothing antibiotics couldn't fix! It might be worth asking them about it?

I've had abnormal uterine bleeding but not after dtd. Mine was before AF but could be for up to to 2 weeks and also around ov. Sometimes it would last a whole month!

They originally said was coming from my cervix. They checked for cervical cancer then discharged me. At the fertility clinic, they did a scan and told me I had polycystic looking ovaries but not the syndrome. I've never had a full hormone profile done which I'm not happy about, just bits here and there. I got to the end of my tether with the spotting and arranged an appointment with a consultant who diagnosed full on PCOS and prescribed metformin. Here I am a year later, the spotting has stopped but my cycles have gone back to being short and I'm not pregnant!

It could be an infection as suggested above, but I think you should get checked for endometriosis too (another thing they haven't checked me for...) xx

I used to have bleeding after sex, it was cervical erosion, it's cells from the wall of the vagina that grow on the cervix, you can have laser or just leave it, mine disappeared on its own. x

I've had abnormal uterine bleeding but not after dtd. Mine was before AF but could be for up to to 2 weeks and also around ov. Sometimes it would last a whole month!

They originally said was coming from my cervix. They checked for cervical cancer then discharged me. At the fertility clinic, they did a scan and told me I had polycystic looking ovaries but not the syndrome. I've never had a full hormone profile done which I'm not happy about, just bits here and there. I got to the end of my tether with the spotting and arranged an appointment with a consultant who diagnosed full on PCOS and prescribed metformin. Here I am a year later, the spotting has stopped but my cycles have gone back to being short and I'm not pregnant!

It could be an infection as suggested above, but I think you should get checked for endometriosis too (another thing they haven't checked me for...) xx

They have never checked me for cancer- my mum had uterine cancer and when I asked on Weds about getting a smear test I was shocked with that I was told- as there is one year left before it is due again for me, the lab will actually throw away the sample taken because its outside of the required dates... I am reeling with that sentiment.

I have had a few blood tests done but I am never told what they are for so I dont know if I have ever had that done before.

I've said a few times to them about endo and the TV scan & ultrasound have both apparently come back as ok and negative but I have no actual idea what it is.

Honestly feels like a massive uphill battle with this for both the GP and the hospital. I dont have a great deal of faith that they will ever get a proper diagnosis for me xx

I know exactly how you feel.

It all started with me when I went to the doctor because I was bleeding for up to two weeks before my period and sometimes I'd bleed a month straight. He said it might be breakthrough bleeding or just another period (pffttt). I went back a few months later and they said pretty much the same but I pushed - he said "what is it you're scared of?" I said "well I know it can be a symptom of cancer". They did a smear even though I'd only had one the previous year. The hospital wouldn't analyse it because mine was too recent. But the doctor had called me in for the results and it's on their system as 'abnormal' for that reason. Soo, they referred me to a gynaecologist anyway who checked my cervix and saw something so she sent me onto a colposcopist (by that time whatever the gynaecologist had seen had gone so I was ok).

My friend suggested to me to ask for a second opinion through my GP. She did that and was referred to Bupa (on the NHS) who did all sorts of examinations including a hysteroscopy and a laparoscopy. Right now I don't want to cause any conflict with my fertility consultant though so I think I might wait until after as DH wants to stop trying then. Xx

I know exactly how you feel.

It all started with me when I went to the doctor because I was bleeding for up to two weeks before my period and sometimes I'd bleed a month straight. He said it might be breakthrough bleeding or just another period (pffttt). I went back a few months later and they said pretty much the same but I pushed - he said "what is it you're scared of?" I said "well I know it can be a symptom of cancer". They did a smear even though I'd only had one the previous year. The hospital wouldn't analyse it because mine was too recent. But the doctor had called me in for the results and it's on their system as 'abnormal' for that reason. Soo, they referred me to a gynaecologist anyway who checked my cervix and saw something so she sent me onto a colposcopist (by that time whatever the gynaecologist had seen had gone so I was ok).

My friend suggested to me to ask for a second opinion through my GP. She did that and was referred to Bupa (on the NHS) who did all sorts of examinations including a hysteroscopy and a laparoscopy. Right now I don't want to cause any conflict with my fertility consultant though so I think I might wait until after as DH wants to stop trying then. Xx

I had been hoping that I would get a colposcopy or a hysteroscopy or laperoscopy but nope to all of it. I work in a doctors surgery and people I work with have had similar symptoms to me and had all these exploratory procedures done but when it comes to me, nothing.

My consultant at the hospital is both gynae and fertility but he has let me down on both accounts. When I asked the GP for a referal for a second opinion but that didnt materialize. I am quite annoyed with the whole lot if it xx

Oh nooo :-( you really have been let down! I wish there was an easier way of getting a full body MOT xx

Sparklegirl... How long have you been trying?
It's such a hard thing to go through. It took us two years, just over to have a healthy (fx) pregnancy. I don't have PCOS, but I thought I did because my cycles were all over the place. Seriously having 50/60 day cycles, plus a miscarriage which really mucked them up. No one should not take you seriously if you're overweight. You have a right to be checked out as much as anyone else.
I just want to say, and I don't want to offend or upset, but I decided to start Slimming World on October 1st, 2015. I was not allowed Chlomid until I lost half a stone and, to be honest, I thought that my weight was a huge part of the issue.
I'll be honest: I think I was exactly right. I started on 1st October and my cycles became regular for the two I had. My husband was abroad at all the wrong times until December, when we caught it when I should have been ovulating. Started feeling weird over Christmas. Did a test on 28th December and BFP. By this point I had lost three stones and felt amazing.
Now, it can be different for everyone, but I think that my situation was too much of a coincidence not to be taken seriously. I felt so much better, emotionally and physically and I believe that my body finally felt ready to grow our baby.
My advice to anyone, curvier/skinnier/average, EVERYONE, is that if you're struggling, no. 1 job: eat healthily.
I do know people who are extremely overweight who have become pregnant easily. It's not the same for all, but if you're struggling, more than anything, at least losing some weight makes you feel like you're taking control of the situation. I wish I had started to lose weight earlier on in our ttc journey. Mentally, I would have been better off.
I may come across as insensitive, but I really don't mean to do so. I understand your situation. I've been there. 2 years was a long time at my age and it's a heartbreaking journey.
However, take a look at some of the programs to help you lose weight. SW is amazing! You can eat all day and still lose weight if you choose! It's so worth a try to get that BFP, I can tell you.
Good luck. I hope things go well. I understand if you completely ignore my post/advice, but I cannot tell you how pleased I am that I finally took my husband's advice on board and took control of our situation.
There is always hope. Always, so never give up. One day, I believe you will get your baby and all this will be worth it. Xxx
P..S. I have awfully bad anxiety too, which losing weight helped a little with too. Not a great deal(!) (see my posts in tri. 3!) but a little. Xxx

I agree weight is important. I've actually stopped going to the gym and am sticking to yoga and pilates at home because when I did go I was stupidly thin! I know people thinner than me who've got pregnant straight away but as you say, it's not the same for everyone. I'm now within the 'healthy' BMI range (just - it's 19). This is one reason why it was difficult to get a diagnosis of pcos as I'm most definitely not overweight! My cycles don't seem to change much with weight though :-/

I was looking through the old IVF posts and came across something I'd put about vitamin D. I'm on a supplement as my epilepsy meds make me deficient but I've only known this a few years. I Googled it and they suggest women ttc take 5000iu of vitamin D as most are deficient, but I'm only on 500! I go to see my neurologist soon so may ask them to check my levels and ask if it could cause my issues (I read it can...). They'll probably shrug it off but you never know! Xx

It's such a hard thing to go through. It took us two years, just over to have a healthy (fx) pregnancy. I don't have PCOS, but I thought I did because my cycles were all over the place. Seriously having 50/60 day cycles, plus a miscarriage which really mucked them up. No one should not take you seriously if you're overweight. You have a right to be checked out as much as anyone else.
I just want to say, and I don't want to offend or upset, but I decided to start Slimming World on October 1st, 2015. I was not allowed Chlomid until I lost half a stone and, to be honest, I thought that my weight was a huge part of the issue.
I'll be honest: I think I was exactly right. I started on 1st October and my cycles became regular for the two I had. My husband was abroad at all the wrong times until December, when we caught it when I should have been ovulating. Started feeling weird over Christmas. Did a test on 28th December and BFP. By this point I had lost three stones and felt amazing.
Now, it can be different for everyone, but I think that my situation was too much of a coincidence not to be taken seriously. I felt so much better, emotionally and physically and I believe that my body finally felt ready to grow our baby.
My advice to anyone, curvier/skinnier/average, EVERYONE, is that if you're struggling, no. 1 job: eat healthily.
I do know people who are extremely overweight who have become pregnant easily. It's not the same for all, but if you're struggling, more than anything, at least losing some weight makes you feel like you're taking control of the situation. I wish I had started to lose weight earlier on in our ttc journey. Mentally, I would have been better off.
I may come across as insensitive, but I really don't mean to do so. I understand your situation. I've been there. 2 years was a long time at my age and it's a heartbreaking journey.
However, take a look at some of the programs to help you lose weight. SW is amazing! You can eat all day and still lose weight if you choose! It's so worth a try to get that BFP, I can tell you.
Good luck. I hope things go well. I understand if you completely ignore my post/advice, but I cannot tell you how pleased I am that I finally took my husband's advice on board and took control of our situation.
There is always hope. Always, so never give up. One day, I believe you will get your baby and all this will be worth it. Xxx
P..S. I have awfully bad anxiety too, which losing weight helped a little with too. Not a great deal(!) (see my posts in tri. 3!) but a little. Xxx

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I dont think you came across as insensitive at all, I have been doing aqua fit twice a week for a few months- no difference that I can see so far in my weight but I take veggies with gravy to work for my dinner to make sure I am getting the vitamins too. I am at risk of being like my mum who had pre-eclampsia which was why I was so prem so I am working hard on weight reduction

He just seemed to look at me as if I was oblivious to the fact that I am overweight (must think mirrors do not exist in my house!) For him to start me on clomid I need to have a BMI of 30 which would mean me losing 7.5 stone so I think that might be a bit extreme to manage within a few months but I am trying myb est- what better goal is there than a baby

Not certain it is PCOS but nobody seems to know owt about owt when it comes to me needing gynae help at this docs/hospital. I have friends who are more overweight than I am and had a baby but I am acutely aware how important my weight is to both the conception and the pregnancy so I want to be in the best health possible.

Congratulations on your BFP- you got that 2 days before my birthday, what a joyous time to find out! Christmas that is, I wasnt being a narcissist lol. I wish you well with the anxiety- I have anxiety and OCD which is an absolute delight!

I hope things look up soon xxx

I agree weight is important. I've actually stopped going to the gym and am sticking to yoga and pilates at home because when I did go I was stupidly thin! I know people thinner than me who've got pregnant straight away but as you say, it's not the same for everyone. I'm now within the 'healthy' BMI range (just - it's 19). This is one reason why it was difficult to get a diagnosis of pcos as I'm most definitely not overweight! My cycles don't seem to change much with weight though :-/

I was looking through the old IVF posts and came across something I'd put about vitamin D. I'm on a supplement as my epilepsy meds make me deficient but I've only known this a few years. I Googled it and they suggest women ttc take 5000iu of vitamin D as most are deficient, but I'm only on 500! I go to see my neurologist soon so may ask them to check my levels and ask if it could cause my issues (I read it can...). They'll probably shrug it off but you never know! Xx

Jeeez 19, I would say that I used to be that but sadly mine is an awful lot higher now. I was thinking of doing yoga or something similar at home- I have arthritis pretty much everywhere so want something gentle on me. Oooh thats interesting, I used to get my Vit D from Seven Seas trying for a baby until I asked about going onto 5mg Folic Acid due to my high BMI so now I only that just folic acid xx

I'd definitely try something like myo-inositol. PCOS makes it hard to lose weight so something like that could help! It's easy to take, you just mix it with water and it tastes fine too. It actually does the same as metformin. Maybe worth a try? Xx

(Obviously I'm an exception to the PCOS weight rule like I am with every other bloody PCOS rule! I find it difficult to put ON weight!)

I'd definitely try something like myo-inositol. PCOS makes it hard to lose weight so something like that could help! It's easy to take, you just mix it with water and it tastes fine too. It actually does the same as metformin. Maybe worth a try? Xx

What is it, over the counter stuff? Doc suggested orlistat but I went to the chemist and they are massive with very 'nasty' side effects which I'd rather not have to go through xx

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I dont think you came across as insensitive at all, I have been doing aqua fit twice a week for a few months- no difference that I can see so far in my weight but I take veggies with gravy to work for my dinner to make sure I am getting the vitamins too. I am at risk of being like my mum who had pre-eclampsia which was why I was so prem so I am working hard on weight reduction

He just seemed to look at me as if I was oblivious to the fact that I am overweight (must think mirrors do not exist in my house!) For him to start me on clomid I need to have a BMI of 30 which would mean me losing 7.5 stone so I think that might be a bit extreme to manage within a few months but I am trying myb est- what better goal is there than a baby

Not certain it is PCOS but nobody seems to know owt about owt when it comes to me needing gynae help at this docs/hospital. I have friends who are more overweight than I am and had a baby but I am acutely aware how important my weight is to both the conception and the pregnancy so I want to be in the best health possible.

Congratulations on your BFP- you got that 2 days before my birthday, what a joyous time to find out! Christmas that is, I wasnt being a narcissist lol. I wish you well with the anxiety- I have anxiety and OCD which is an absolute delight!

I hope things look up soon xxx

Thank you.
I completely understand your frustration. Consultants can be rude and arrogant.
You can do it! As you say, a baby is worth anything! Let that be your motivation. It is the best thing I ever did and I say that as I sit being rampantly kicked by my baby, unable to get comfortable, with thrush and piles, 4 lots of antibiotics for pregnancy induced chest infections and having had to have full on tests for suspected pulmonary embolism! These kicks are all worth it, I promise.
I lost 3 stones in two months on Slimming World and you can continue Slimming World in pregnancy. 3 stones wasn't hard either as there is so much you can eat on SW then exercise comes more easily. I know is not necessarily healthy to lose so much in a short time, but you're obviously so wanting a baby, it might be something to think about.
I wasn't even allowed to see a consultant until after the two years were up. We ended up not having to see one, but their main advice was lose the weight and keep trying and we are sure it will happen, despite your awful cycles. Asked for a reason that my cycles were so bad and they said, weight. Possibly true as cycles satires getting awful after I put on quite a lot of weight. This could be an issue too in that they might just be thinking that you haven't been trying for long enough (long enough for them anyway!) Have you asked and fought for reasons for them not being helpful?
I think that ttc took over my life and my mental health until I made a decision to stop making excuses (which I am not saying you are doing) and take control. My husband completely agrees.
Anyway, you have only been trying for 6 months or so, so you still have a chance of conceiving. Did you know the averages are 9months to 2 years? Absolutely soul destroying thinking of 2 years(!) and I am the same age as you... But it's true, unfortunately.
I really hope that you manage to get things sorted. So hard, but try not to let it take over your life. Be positive wherever possible. It can happen. You can take control. Again, not meaning to be annoying, but I am the perfect example of this and again, it's the best thing I ever did. Go for it... X

What is it, over the counter stuff? Doc suggested orlistat but I went to the chemist and they are massive with very 'nasty' side effects which I'd rather not have to go through xx

You'll need to buy it from Amazon most probably (a health food store may have it but unlikely). I've had no side effects from it as it's gentle on your stomach. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back