PCOS bloods / day 21 / cold feeling?

madsticks

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

GP is sending me for blood tests to do my day 21 progesterone and other things to check me out for PCOS.

The last time I was at the hospital in June 2014 they told me I had ovarian cysts. No one was too fussed about this though and they said because I wasn't overweight they don't consider it to be PCOS.

I recently went back as a year and a half since my last miscarriage my periods are still a mess, and increasingly worse with regards to pain.

What other boxes on the green form did they tick for you ? I have PSA and LH / FSH ticked, but not testosterone - which I thought would have been?

Also, out of interest, along with the increased pain of my cycles, I've been having what I can only describe as a 'cold burning' tingly numb sensation, predominantly in my left ovary, but at other times all over. It can happen at any point in my cycle and has been happening for my last 3 cycles. If it happens when I'm on then it's either a very intense cold tingly feeling or excruciating pain. The cycle before last I believe I had a chemical pregnancy and the feeling was with me the whole cycle until the blinding pain of af turned up.

I suppose I'm asking, has the doctor ticked all of the correct boxes / what has anyone else been checked for that I'm missing?

And has anyone ever had the same cold feeling? What did it turn out to be? Does anyone know what it is?

I was investigated for PCOS and endo 9 years ago and the scans a laparoscopy showed nothing. At that point I had all the same symptoms except the cold feeling. But since then I've had two miscarriages and confirmed cysts a year and a half ago.

I'm so worried something is very wrong with me.

Sorry if this is the wrong board. Thank you.

Well wishes to everyone X

Hi madsticks,

PCO can come in many different forms with many different symptoms. It is perfectly possible to have pco and not be overweight (often referred to as lean pco). You can also have pco without having pcos.

I have fairly typical pcos, loads of cysts all over both ovaries and some of the typical symptoms. I don't however have some of the other things that are common with it. For example I don't have high levels of LH and I tend to have good skin and very few spots.

Cysts can come and go in a fairly short space of time (a matter of weeks).

I've not experienced any pain of the type you describe but that doesn't mean it isn't pco related! Or it could be something totally different.

I had a huge list of things ticked on my initial blood form, so many I can't remember. All the ones you mention were on there though plus others. Even after that they decided I needed some more taking for other tests so I had to go back a couple more times until they were satisfied. I think they like to take some blood, analyse it and then see if they need to test for anything else, and so on, so don't be too concerned at the moment.

I've also had two mcs and both times my periods were very messed up afterwards (in fact neither time they returned and I had to get a bleed induced). The first time it took over 6 months before my cycles became normal again. This last time I've started clomid so that is giving me proper cycles.

It is impossible to do but do try not to wind yourself up thinking there is something wrong as stressing can cause your hormones to go a bit nuts. Let them investigate and hopefully you will get some answers soon and can put your mind to rest :)

Thank you for your reply snowbee,

It is very hard not to worry! I am driving myself mad and you're right I do need to try to just let the process happen and hope there will be answers.

I think my GP was happy to send me straight for investigations this time as I showed him my cycle lengths on period tracker and he agreed they are all over the show - anywhere between 24 and 45 days. That plus my spots are like a teenager and horribly the extra hair has got me a good'n.

I hope they will send me for more blood tests, I'd looked up the typical tests and noticed that I didn't have many ticked on my form.

I'm really hoping whatever it is will be manageable. OH and I aren't eligible for IVF as he has two children from his previous marriage, which I think adds to the worry :/

X X X

Snowbee is right and I'm proof of it. I am 7 1/2 stone, have no excess body hair and have PCOS. My periods were regular but every 24 days and I had spotting leading up to it for years (it lasted up to 2 weeks!). My periods were heavy and painful too, and still are if I don't ovulate. I was shrugged off by doctors for years until the fertility clinic found cysts on ovaries and my hormones were also consistent with PCOS. Xx

Thank you, yes I was rather disappointed when they said that because I'm not overweight it wasn't PCOS and was just cysts, I suppose only because I've had so many years of issues with periods and my lady gonads I would have thought they'd have done some more checks, especially considering the miscarriages.

X X X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back