Partners Very Low Sperm Count

gemmainthesun

Reaction score
Hi, just wondred if anyone dealing with the same thing wanted to discuss it, provide support, share stories..offer hope!

We have been TTC for 2 years, Im 26, OH is 35. We found out in Nov he has low sperm count... 4.5mil per ml and 25 mil overall. We live in spain so not sure on all the bits cos of translation but doctor said Sperm is good just very low. We have been refered for IVF but not heard back yet on when it will be. :roll:

Feel really crappy today after seeing too many friends, family give birth to beautiful babies... 1 every day for 3 days consecutive!!
Im not unhappy for them, Im just abit, well jealous I suppose, it upsets me cos I know for us it wont be simple and ive always wanted children since I can remember. I was a nursery Nurse before I moved here, love kids.

Its hard because when I feel down I dont want to let on too much for him, because I know it affects him, I know he feels insecure about it and likes he's a failure..everything with me came back fine.

Anyone got any success stories with low sperm, or got any advice? Just need someone to talk to who understands... much love xxx

hi, welcome!!

Have you had any tests done to ensure that the problem may only be with your partner?

if you are ok, and it is your partner, get him on a pre-conception vitamin, ie "pregnacare pre-conception" or "santogen father to be" to ensure he is getting the correct nutrition. make sure he is doing the basics, no cycling, no laptop on lap (because of the heat), no heated seats in car etc.

regarding the numbers if teh doc said teh sperm is fine but the quantity is bad, dont worry it only takes one to make a baby!! i'm not sure of the protocol in Spain but is IVF the first thing to try - how about IUI?

Yeah in Spain they test us both together, I had bloods done, scans, smear etc.. all fine. I kind of knew I was ok to be honest always had regualr periods, OPK always came back positive around day 10-12 and im young.
He's on Wellman since getting the SA and maca and vitamin C, he's also in the process of quitting smoking and drinking, has cut down alot and said hes quitting fully this mon...and I guess I need to quit with him, although the stress of all this makes me need a cig! But I know we need to.
The doctor just said we need IVF, we are currently waiting on a phonecall to go see a new gyno who should be able to tell us when we are having the IVF, but with everything in Spain they dont rush...manjana manjana!! haha

good thats he's making some lifestlye changes, it will do his wee swimmers the world of good!

ivf seems extreme to me but im no expert on make factor infertility. would an iui be suitable for you, its way less invasive and the sperm can be selected just like in IVF? I would just think this would be better for you as you can time it to your ovualtion and woudlnt require you doing all the stimulations requried for IVF?

Hiya :)

You're very similar to me. I'm 27, hubby 37 and male factor. No success story so far after two IVFs but typically male factor is the easy fix especially when the women is young :)

Post up your sperm results so I can have a nosey ;)

You can PM me anytime if you need to chat.

IUI isn't very good if you can get IVF xx

Ok I will most these results but obv they were in spanish so ive used translate to know what it means here goes

volume 6.0 (superior 1.4) Think this means it should be anything above
PH 9.0
Viscosidad (engligh this says vitality?) Normal
Concentration 4,33
Total sperm 25,9
Movilidad total (think this is moving) 18 %... should be more than 39% apparently??
Then it cofuses me because it says
moviles progresivos 14
Moviles no progresesivos 18
Inmoviles 81?? Im presuming this is imobile???
Then the Kruger thing which should be above 3% is 7%
Obviously because of the spanish its hard to understand but basically we got told very low count but the quality was fine?? Its very hard to get all the information when you use a translator but he just kept saying the way forward was FVI which is IVf its just spain say things in a different order??

If anyone could shed some more light that would be great

My partners brother is going for IUI next month because he has a good sperm count but its slow apparently and yes it does seem easier but they only have 20% chance each time they get 3 goes. I havent mensioned IUI yet but if its 1 or the other id rather have IVF with the better success rate, im presuming they will do ICSI because of his bad sperm but need to discuss this further... we had all out tests at one hospital and now we have been refered to the hospital where they actually carry out the IVF so just waiting for a call to go up there to meet the new gyno xxx

Hi gemma,

I'm not sure about my OH's sperm, we're waiting on a kit to do his first sample, but just wanted to say welcome and good luck with it all!

xxxx

We're in the same boat too - both 28, I'm fine but PorkPie has a low sperm count. Ours is 0.2million/ml at last count, but we've been told that's no problem for ICSI.

Lou's much further on than us - we're waiting for our first round still, but there's a couple of us on here in the same situation

Yeah we r waiting for IVf, I got told it would be less than a year to having it when I asked in November, but who knows, its a waiting game. ScothEgg how does your husband feel about his low sperm? I always think it must be so hard for our Guys, My partner has admitted it makes him feel like less of a man. I feel more positive today, I think actually speaking to you lot is helping, makes me feel like im less alone in all this xx

he struggles, but we've found out it's probably genetic and that his dad had similar problems (although not to this extreme) which has made it somewhat easier to handle.

It hurts him so much to know what I'll have to go through because of 'his' issue although I don't see it that way.

He's very rational which helps, but I hate seeing him hurting

Yeah sounds like my fella, He always seems to be really positive but just think hes pretending most of the time to try and keep me positive.. some days im really positive... tommorow we are back on our tablets, we have maca, wellman and woman, vitamin C and L carnite (i think thats jow u spell it) Well I dont have that just the other stuff, but the last few weeks we have been pre occupied, with me going home to england for a weekhaving a work weekend away etc and things have slipped, but determined to do it all from tommorow, also we are attemptin to quit smokin again, he always does really well when we try and stop but i always give in and then after a few days he gives in too, so i have to be strong!!

Hi again Gem :)

His volume is good, very good - my hubby's is 2-3ml and yours has 6.

His pH is very high. It should be 7-8. Apparently it can indicate a blockage that could be treated with surgery and then you could ttc naturally so maybe get that looked at?

His concentration is low, not too low but still pretty bad.

His motility isn't very good either. He has 14% that are moving forwards, then 4% moving but not forward and then the remaining 81% are not moving at all.

His morphology is good though, and that is very important :)

I think you're right about the ICSI xx

Yeah I kind of thought that the motility was bad, the doctor just kept saying that it was all ok just low, and my partner really seems to cling to that so Im not even gonna mention it, what good would it do! Hes obviously looked at the results so i think he must have an idea but theres no point me pointing out that its even worse:( Thanks for the advice on the PH, maybe there is a blockage? I wish we was in England cos it would be easier to go and discuss these things but I dont want to have to go and get more tests and appointmnts if its gonna delay the IVF.
And Im gonna ask a question now, and honest answers please dont sugar coat it for me. Do you think we can increase the sperm volume and motility by him takin vitamins, supplemts etc?? I mean increase it enough for conception? Or do you think its too bad for that? x

Honestly, i think it's worth a shot.

We did the whole extreme sperm improvement lifestyle and it didn't improve his sperm at all so a bit of a waste of time BUT we have crappy morphology and you don't.

The general theory seems to be that concentration and motility is much more a result of lifestlye and therefore should be able to be improved upon.

You have to be strict, or else what is the point, and it has to be for at least 3 months before you start to see improvement - so it's hard.

No smoking or drinking. No caffiene (none at all). Cool pants. No hot baths. No mobile phones in pants pockets.

And lots and lots of vitamins - my hubby is on Zita West plus the booster which are supposed to be pretty much the best out there xx

What is morphology? Sorry bit dumb with this haha!
Yeah we are gettin prepared tommorow and then we will do it, he always has phone in pocket aswell so will have to gt him a man bag! and quit drinking, our day off is a thu together and we always go out for a meal so I think we can have a little treat then of a few cocktails but apart from that noen, then we will get him another SA in May time. Anyone on here seen improvements with sperm?
And thanks for the Zita west tip, will get some!! xx

morphology's the form - whether they look normal (ie whether they can swim and penetrate the egg)

PorkPie had an improvement in morphology and motility with cutting out caffeine/alcohol, loose pants, phone in back pocket and supplements. Nothing amazing but a change is a change when it's so low...

Yeah exactly, its better than nothing isnt it! Ok well thanks for the advice we will put all the changes into place and see if it helps atall, muck love xxx

Hey! My husband and I also had such problem. He also had received some medication but it led us to nothing. Thus, our fertility expert advised undergoing IVF treatment. Unfortunately, at that time we ran out of our budget and we couldn’t afford to start IVF treatment. Moreover, we were also aware that it might need more than one round. I started to google info about IVF in hope to finds a reasonable price. And we felt fortunate when we found biotexcom. As a result of IVF, I have a 1-year-old boy. I do know a woman who decided to adopt a child because they didn’t want to continue their treatment. Lastly, I want to say it is possible to become parents in any case.
i wish you every luck in the world. keep your partner close, and try to keep your mind occupied on other stuff. this will help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back