parneting advice (playpen)

Dee1985

Reaction score
Hi have any of you thought about getting one?

http://www.mothercare.com/invt/ll5047

some one in my local paper is selling the above one from mother care for £30 good price i havbe got plenty of room in my dinning room but what bothers me is it says up to 18months?? cant think why not older??

i thought it would be a good idea for when the new baby comes so Dior aint all over the place while im trying to feed.

or do you think Dior will feel pushed out? or should i teach her that when baby has bottle Dior plays with her toys in the pen??

or will she see it as being pushed out and punishment?? should i then sit in same room as dior so she can see me while i feed new baby or put Dior in her pen then go into another room? so its not like im teasing her? Dior is very independant and often plays in the dinning room with her toys if im watching tv in living room oviously the door is open and she crawls back and forth???

help give me some advise on how to peicefully feed new baby as its not fair to keep stoppping ahnd starting if Dior is wreaking the house???

Hi, I have no experience in this so am probably not going to be much help but how about getting it before baby arrives and making it lots of fun for Dior so she associates it with play. Then when little one arrives Dior won't feel like she is being pushed away as she will be used to playing in there? I would be in the same room so she can see you and the baby. Not sure about the age thing though. Hope I have been of some use x

yes u have i just want to know other peoples opinion, im going to phone in a min about the playpen :) hope it aint gone.

Hi,

I will be getting one of these too. Some people think they are cruel and for lazy people but I think they are practical and safe. For example if you need the loo or to get the door and can't leave them for a second incase they crawl to something you can pop them in there safely to play.

And like you said if you plan to have another you can't really keep interupting feeding etc if you have to run after a toddler so it's best for both babies.

I don't know about the jealousy but if you are giving plenty of love and time to both you should be fine.

I am going to get one soon off eBay as they are cheaper than the mothercare jobbies I think :)

I've got one for when Rubie is older for safety reasons

Thats a tricky one. I have a playpen which I did put Jessica in if I was going for a shower or if I was ironing. She really objected to it though and I eventually stopped using it and iron at night and she comes into the bathroom with me.

But I think if you use it while feeding new baby you run the risk as you said of her seeing it as a punishment. I read somewhere that you could try getting a bag of special new toys that would occupy her while you were feeding and that she would only get while feeding so that in theory she would be pleased you were feeding so she could get her special toys.

This is something I will be putting into practice soon enough so I hope this works.

I think they are a good idea when it comes to safety. If you need to pop to the loo or answer the door it's a good idea to put them somewhere safe. As long as they are only in there for a little while I think they're OK. It's a shame I bet some poor kids are stuck in them for ages but a little bit is fine.

i bought one very similar to this when i had Emily and she absolutley loved it and was also good for putting her toys in out of way, also great to take to grandma's. Except 7 years ago was double the price it is now!! :cry:
http://www.mothercare.com/invt/lw1554&bklist=

is still in such condition i have just got it out of loft for Jack, am gonna see if he will sleep ok in it, then he can go to grandmas for night!

Spooky, I have just seen one advertised in our local rag and if it's good I am going to buy it tomorrow for £30 - bargin :)

I have a travel cot I'm going to use for Isaac if he wants to nap in the day or I need to go and do something in the house.

He can use it too if he sleeps over at nannys house.

Its better for them to be safe if you are busy I reckon. But obviously if Isaac hates it then I will not put him in it. I wonder if I will fit in there with him for a kip ? ;)

Lou :)

wow thanks for all your replys, i went to look at one last night the lady advitised it in my paper she wants £30 its in great condition and has the matress base too..

im picking it up of her tomorrow :)

just want to decide on how to use it now???

should i stat putting Dior in it now? i think i might get Dior a bag of new specail toys and let Dior play in there with them for about 30mins in the day with new toys, then she might no the playpen as treat time??

that sounds i great idea i'm going to use hannahs outside in the summer and when we go to watch kieron at cricket i'm going to take it with us

dionne said:
just want to decide on how to use it now???

should i stat putting Dior in it now? i think i might get Dior a bag of new specail toys and let Dior play in there with them for about 30mins in the day with new toys, then she might no the playpen as treat time??

That's a good idea!
I would also take her out as soon as she wants to get, out at least at first, so she doesn't see it as somewhere where she's trapped. If you need to do any ironing and stuff I'd put her in it then :)

I think they're great! I'll be getting one for Ava once I'm working because my mom will be watching her and it'll be a good place for naptime or a safe place for her to play for a few minutes.

My grandmother does home daycare and had a playpen in a separate room for my 10month old cousin so he had a quiet, but safe place to nap.

Brought ours home last night and put it together, my hubby teased me.

He said 'Ah you bought Dominic a cage'

We did laugh :lol:

http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st= ... lcat=bgpy#

This is the playpen we have for Kai, he sleeps in the bassinet on the top now probably until he is 3 months and then we will move him in the cot. We also change him in here as well. So we are getting a lot of use out of it already. One of our best buys! Was going to buy a Moses basket, so glad we didn't as he would have grown out of it quickly. And we got it with a 40% discount as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back