Paracetamol and immunisations

OopsyDaisy

Reaction score
I've just come back from my LO's 8 week immunisations. The nurse said that I should give a dose of paracetamol straight away and then another dose when she goes to bed. She said I should have given a dose of paracetamol before we went to the surgery so she advised us to do that the next time for her 12 week immunisations. Is it standard practice to give paracetamol like this? I thought that paracetamol should be given only if a fever develops?

I was told to give him calpol when we got home from them because he may be feeling under the weather, and ok to give him extra on that night too. In the end I did because he seemed a bit poorly but if he had seemed ok I wouldn't have bothered.

Never heard of giving babies paracetamol.
You can give them Calpol for post-imms symptons, but you don't have to, and you don't have to give them any doses before just in case, its all a personal choice. With Isaac I waited until after his imms to see how he went, he was fine with his first, a bit upset with his 2nd and quite ill after his 3rd, so used Nurofen for him then, do what you feel is right for your LO :hug:

I should have been more clear, I know it contains paracetamol, just at a safe infant level, I thought you meant 'give paracetamol' as in a paracetamol tablet, am I making any sense here? :lol: I do hope your LO's well anyway and that the imms are a distant memory :hug:

I think everyone is told to get Calpol for the jabs but I never gave any to Arianna as she was fine after all of hers but I did have it in the house just to be on the safe side!

Redshoes said:
I should have been more clear, I know it contains paracetamol, just at a safe infant level, I thought you meant 'give paracetamol' as in a paracetamol tablet, am I making any sense here? :lol: I do hope your LO's well anyway and that the imms are a distant memory :hug:

We were given generic paracetamol suspension (same strength as infant Calpol) of which I gave one dose to LO when we got back from the surgery. After that, she seemed fine, and no fever developed, so I didn't think it was necessary to give a further dose. Luckily, LO didn't seem to develop any adverse reactions to the jabs, so that's a relief. She did sleep a lot more the following day, which I don't know if that was due to the jabs, but was perky during the times that she was awake, so I didn't worry.

I only gave it to Jake if he seemed like he needed it. I know I didn't give him Calpol on one lot of his jabs because he was fine and didn't need it.

I think they all say to give calpol just to reassure mum's that's it's ok if their baby is feeling poorly after because it is normal for them to be grumpy afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back