Pap Smears while pregnant

Kc296612

Reaction score
So, I had my first big prenatal today (for this child, anyway, #3). I am 12weeks5days.

We went through ALL of it, breast exam, pap test, lab results, she couldn't find baby's HB with staticky doppler- so did a quick ultrasound. Everything was good.

Post pap she said, "it's normal to have some bleeding." And I shook it off because, hey, I've had a pap with my other two and there was spotting afterward-totally normal.

Immediately after the pap though I went to pee and it was immediately red spotting, it's been 7 hours since the appt and I still have red spotting. It's not pink/brown- just red tinged CM. Enough that I am wearing a panty liner (though not enough to fill it up). I guess the fact that its red and still going is kind of making me anxious. I'm going to see what turns out tomorrow (hopefully pink, brown, or entirely gone) before I rush to call. Anyone have a similar situation?

I was under the impression you don’t get smears whilst pregnant? Mine was due in October and was told to get it when baby was born...I was in my 3rd tri tho.

You could always ring your local epu and ask for advice? I’m sure everything is fine and it’s just the result of something being down there. Xxx

I was due a colposcopy, called them and advised I am pregnant. They told me to book a Pap smear once I have given birth... I always thought they monitored closely things like that during pregnancy ?.....

I think in America they still do smears during pregnancy, in the uk we don’t, its done after birth unless absolutely necessary. That being said she told you to expect bleeding so as long as it’s light and stops pretty quickly I wouldn’t be too concerned x

Yes, they still do them if you are due for one. With my first she did it at 6 weeks. His overall birth was a little scary, so I moved to a new practice with a level 3 NICU unit. This doctor delivered my daughter and did a pap on me at 11 weeks. This time around she did it at 12.5 weeks.

Originally I was scheduled to have my yearly months ago but I had my positive HPT the week before. They rescheduled my pap and said, 'they'd wait until the second/or close to/ the second trimester.'

She said it's because many women associated paps with misscarriage when the tests were done early-- so a lot of places are doing them later, if at all.

On the other hand, I do have a dentist that refuses to do dental fillings because, in some cases, numbing medications may be needed and infection can happen and he'd rather wait until after my (daughter we found out!) Is born. That's something a lot of people around me seem shocked about.

Regardless, my spotting stopped the next morning. I had a brief moment of panic. I'm at a point in my life where things are good, almost TOO good- which makes me uneasy that something bad is going to happen. Thank you all for the reassurances!

Yes, they still do them if you are due for one. With my first she did it at 6 weeks. His overall birth was a little scary, so I moved to a new practice with a level 3 NICU unit. This doctor delivered my daughter and did a pap on me at 11 weeks. This time around she did it at 12.5 weeks.

Originally I was scheduled to have my yearly months ago but I had my positive HPT the week before. They rescheduled my pap and said, 'they'd wait until the second/or close to/ the second trimester.'

She said it's because many women associated paps with misscarriage when the tests were done early-- so a lot of places are doing them later, if at all.

On the other hand, I do have a dentist that refuses to do dental fillings because, in some cases, numbing medications may be needed and infection can happen and he'd rather wait until after my (daughter we found out!) Is born. That's something a lot of people around me seem shocked about.

Regardless, my spotting stopped the next morning. I had a brief moment of panic. I'm at a point in my life where things are good, almost TOO good- which makes me uneasy that something bad is going to happen. Thank you all for the reassurances!

This is from NHS website
I due a colposcopy on Friday, they decided they didn’t want to do it and I needed to have a Smear Test after I have given birth.

This is from NHS website
I due a colposcopy on Friday, they decided they didn’t want to do it and I needed to have a Smear Test after I have given birth.
This is from NHS website
Can I have a cervical screening test during pregnancy?
You will not usually need to have cervical screening if you're pregnant, or could be pregnant, until at least 12 weeks after you've given birth. This is because pregnancy can make it harder to get clear results.

If you're planning a pregnancy
It's a good idea to ask your GP if you're up to date with your cervical screening. This is so any tests or treatment can be arranged around your pregnancy.

If you're already pregnant and due for a cervical screening test
Tell your GP or clinic you're pregnant when you're invited for cervical screening. You will usually be advised to reschedule the test for a date around 12 weeks after your baby is born.

But, if you've previously had an abnormal result from a cervical screening test, you may need to be screened while you're pregnant. Your GP or midwife may ask you to have a cervical screening test at your first antenatal appointment. This test will not affect your pregnancy.

Getting abnormal results while you're pregnant
An abnormal result does not mean you have cancer. Cervical screening is a test to help prevent cancer.

There are different kinds of abnormal result depending on if your sample was tested for:

• abnormal cell changes in your cervix – left untreated, this could turn into cancer
  • HPV – some types of HPV can lead to cell changes in your cervix and cancer
Depending on the results, you may need:

• no treatment
  • another cervical screening test 1 year after your abnormal test
  • a colposcopy
Having a colposcopy during pregnancy
A colposcopy is a simple procedure to look at your cervix. It's safe to have during pregnancy.

It's similar to having cervical screening but it's carried out in hospital.

If a colposcopy shows changes to the cells on your cervix, you may need another colposcopy around 3 to 6 months after you give birth, to check on the abnormal cells.

Sometimes you'll need treatment to remove the abnormal cells if they have not returned to normal after giving birth.

You can talk to your GP or midwife about any concerns you have.

It's important to go to all of your follow-up appointments after you've had your baby.

Can I have a cervical screening test during pregnancy?
You will not usually need to have cervical screening if you're pregnant, or could be pregnant, until at least 12 weeks after you've given birth. This is because pregnancy can make it harder to get clear results.

If you're planning a pregnancy
It's a good idea to ask your GP if you're up to date with your cervical screening. This is so any tests or treatment can be arranged around your pregnancy.

If you're already pregnant and due for a cervical screening test
Tell your GP or clinic you're pregnant when you're invited for cervical screening. You will usually be advised to reschedule the test for a date around 12 weeks after your baby is born.

But, if you've previously had an abnormal result from a cervical screening test, you may need to be screened while you're pregnant. Your GP or midwife may ask you to have a cervical screening test at your first antenatal appointment. This test will not affect your pregnancy.

Getting abnormal results while you're pregnant
An abnormal result does not mean you have cancer. Cervical screening is a test to help prevent cancer.

There are different kinds of abnormal result depending on if your sample was tested for:

• abnormal cell changes in your cervix – left untreated, this could turn into cancer
  • HPV – some types of HPV can lead to cell changes in your cervix and cancer
Depending on the results, you may need:

• no treatment
  • another cervical screening test 1 year after your abnormal test
  • a colposcopy
Having a colposcopy during pregnancy
A colposcopy is a simple procedure to look at your cervix. It's safe to have during pregnancy.

It's similar to having cervical screening but it's carried out in hospital.

If a colposcopy shows changes to the cells on your cervix, you may need another colposcopy around 3 to 6 months after you give birth, to check on the abnormal cells.

Sometimes you'll need treatment to remove the abnormal cells if they have not returned to normal after giving birth.

You can talk to your GP or midwife about any concerns you have.

It's important to go to all of your follow-up appointments after you've had your baby.

I don’t think the poster is in the uk so won’t be following nhs guidelines x

So strange they keep on doing pap smears while pregnant due to increased miscarriages. The chance of finding abnormal cells is quite high during pregnancy but they usually dissapear after birth.
I would cancel the appointment if I found out I was pregnant.
But like you said @Leila, they do tend to overdo all the medical tests because it's not funded.
A friend of mine went through a whirlwind of medical procedures, worries, blood works, even more worries, medication, vitamins, miscarriage threats and gave birth to a healthy baby girl. She couldn't enjoy her pregnamcy at all since they made her worry all the time.x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back