Painting during pregnancy- worried

haigywaigy

Reaction score
I am 7 weeks pregnant and have spent the last 2 days painting the kitchen- gloves on and well ventilated. Read afterwards that really shouldnt have exposed myself to likes of paint and solvents such as Turps. Cant do anything about it noe but worried. Trying to do everything right! Needing reassurance.

Hiya,

When I was pregnant with my first they painted the offices at work, and I was completely outraged and sooo worried. I went to my midwife in the end as the poainting seemed to be going on for ever.

She did reassure me that nowadays most paints are harmless and there is no need to worry.

However, if you are still worried check with your midwife, or our lovely new resident forum midwife Keiran in the introduce yourself section.

Much love

Hiya

Ok...Don't stress about having done the painting. It's true that we don't recommend people do any painting whilst they are pregnant, but the fact is we don't know how harmful the solvents are that are used in paint nowadays. Paint no longer has lead in it - not since the 1970s, so it is also a no no to strip paint whilst you are pregnant.

Painting exposes you to oils, resins, solvents, driers, extenders, vinyl, latex, and acrylic. The pigments in paint can include metals such as lead, zinc, and aluminum. Because painting involves so many chemicals, and because it's so difficult to measure how much of the various substances the body actually absorbs, it is difficult to know the exact risks to pregnant women. (If you've already been exposed to these chemicals, but haven't felt ill, don't worry. The chances your baby will be affected are practically none).

Stress about how much harm you have done the baby will in turn cause more problems than the painting itself. If you want to reassure yourself further then look at the tin - Low VOC paint (most is nowadays) is way safer to use (but the tint usually has chemicals in it). And latex paint is the best.

Just stay clear of paint from now on and you and your baby should be just fine.

Take Care

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back