pain relief - which ones best? side affects?

catherine23

Reaction score
lol im no where near here yet but really want to learn all about it.

I know all pain reliefs have different side affects. And just wondered what is available in a NHS hospital. I would love to go natural but is probably unlikely.

What have you opted for and why? I've read some make you all numb from waist down and some make you completely drowsy so you dont even realise theres a baby out of you! lol scary so jsut a little info plaease ladies!

cat x
:?

Hi Cat,

I've decided on water birth, i also want to be as active as possible as i've heard that this helps speed up labour, the thought of an epidural completely freaks me out, pethadine can cross the placenta and affect baby, so if i need pain relief it will have to be gas and air, if i need a c section they will have to put me under general anasetic, maybe things will change when the time comes who knows hey :)

Each hospital is different in what they offer so to know what's available to you ask your midwife, she'll probably have some information she can give you.

My hospital only offer Entonox (Gas and Air), Meptid and DiaMorphine and use of a TENS machine.

Many offer Epidurals, Pethidine and other options.

I too am hoping to have a water birth but again my hospital only have one pool so it's a case of first come first serve. If it's free when I go in I'll have it, if not I won't.

Because of this I don't have any specific plans for birth and pain relief other than I'll only take what I need as I need it.

Pain relief in labour is covered in the Antenatal classes so ask about them too.

I had an epidural for my last birth.
It was fantastic as I had been 5 mins apart for about 20 hours and me and hubby were both just exhasted.
I had the epidural and managed to get some rest and hubby even managed a nap.
I didn't really PLAN on having one, I think if you get too set in stone about what you want, later on you may feel upset by changing your mind.

I would keep an open mind and do a bit of research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back