Ouch!

Blueclass

Reaction score
So iv been feeding DD for 7 months that now and has a bottle of certain a day normally. The other day I was feeding her and she bite me so my nipple bled. It still really hurts and dread feeding on the side. Does anyone know any ways to help it heal? I'm also starting to wonder is it time I stopped. It took a look good time to bf as I had alot of issues so I feel like I sont want to stop at the same time.
She has no rout as she is up all night and I never sleep, she slept 3.5hrs in 24 thays how bad it is. I'm wondering whether formula full time would help. She has the one bottle which does noting.

How did you know ow when it was time for you to stop?

Hi blueclass

Sorry to hear youre in pain, them sharp little teeth really do sting. I breastfed my little girl until she was 1. She'd given the odd nibble when new teeth came through but nothing too extreme. About 3 weeks before she turned one she bit me really hard and I bled badly. Tbh for a few days she'd been on the boob constantly and in hindsight I think my supply was dropping and she was trying super hard to get some milk. Anyway after that big bite I went cold turkey during the day and gave her cows milk. It was tough and she wouldn't take the bottle for about 7hours (she did have water and food thou) and then I fed her again myself in the evening. I'd just decided I wanted to stop. I think you know when you're ready to stop. To help your nipple heal can you sit and let the air get to it on an evening? And use lasinoh during the day

Ouch, sounds very painful! I breastfed my first until she was over 2. I would've continued but my second spent a week in hospital and that just broke the habit of a bedtime feed.

She did bite me a few times, but I don't think she ever drew blood (although I can empathise as it took my nipples 3 months to fully heal from the damage she did in her first week before her tongue tie was snipped!). . Lansinoh is great for healing.

It's recommended you say ouch and take them off when they bite, so they realise it hurts and that you can't feed them if they hurt you. Seemed to work for us

Last edited:
Yes I did that and iv been putting my milk on the nipple and letting it dry. Still hurts to feed her on it though. I am so torn about stopping as I go to work in march and she will be 9m and needs some routine. She currently doesn't really have one as she never sleeps x

It's a very personal decision. Remember that formula might not change anything sleep wise, so only stop if you really want to - I tried to stop while pregnant and felt totally wrong so started again the next day!

My little boy is 9.5 months and I switched him to formula at 9 months for two reasons: he bit me and I got pregnant again and my milk supply disappeared because of it. I was also suffering from being up all night feeding so thought this would solve my problems - weirdly it hasn't. He won't take more than 5oz of milk at a time as that's about the feed size he was getting from me so therefore he wakes for feeds constantly. I switched him to hungry baby milk thinking that would help but it made barely any difference. So now he has a bottle at 7.30pm, 10.30pm, 12.30am, 3.30am and 6am but has no other feeds in the day. I suppose I'm better off in terms of the fact he almost always wakes exactly at these times but I feel worse off because making up a bottle/ making sure a prepared bottle is right temperature/ giving the bottle takes a lot more wakefulness than just shoving him on my boob and going back to sleep after without really gaining full consciousness. I feel my sleep is more broken.

Having said that, it is a totally personal decision as to when to stop and I feel like you just get a feeling when it's enough x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back