OT- those that are married/getting married

GF91

Reaction score
Totally off topic and I'm sorry if this isn't in the right place but I just need to talk to like minded women. I'm getting married in December & everything is sorted/booked apart from my wedding dress. I'm going to look at dresses tomorrow with my mum but I'm full of anxiety. I'm not really a dress kind of girl anyway but I have real self esteem issues. I have no idea on what shape or colour or any idea what I want. My stepdaughter made me go and try some dresses on the other day, she helped me pick out a range of dresses but I didn't like any of them and I ended up leaving the shop in tears. She liked all the mermaid styles on me, but I felt that they highlighted the parts of my body that I don't like. When I buy new clothes I only do it when my OH is with me, so he can give me an honest opinion (like my mother will) so doing this without him is strange. I'm worried that im not going to find a dress that I like or feel beautiful in, I'm vast running out of time I feel. The women in the shop told me it was minimum of 6 months for delivery and 8 weeks for alterations which literally takes me to a few weeks before the wedding. Did anyone else feel like this trying dresses on? How did you know what you wanted? Do you really get that "this is my dress" moment?

I've been married before and wasn't really looking forward to finding the dress as I don't often wear dresses. I did find the dress and I knew as soon as I put it on that it was right for me! I would say have an open mind, don't put loads of pressure on yourself and just have fun trying things on that you wouldn't normally. If you don't like mermaid style tell the assistant, let them know which areas you feel self conscious about and they can advise. You really do need to try different styles on though as they don't always look how you imagine they will. Once you know which styles you prefer you can take it from there. Enjoy it xx

Congratulations!

I hate clothes shopping and am not a dress person. When I got married my dress budget was tiny (compared to average wedding dress- it was still most expensive item of clothing I ever bought!) and I had to dress shop with my MIL as mine was out of the country. I hated it and felt totally out of place in the dress shops. I ended up buying a dress in the sale, off peg and I loved it straight away. My SIL actually found it so definitely take people with you who know your taste.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. You will find a dress you like you just need to keep calm and open minded. I thought I knew what style dress I wanted but it looked awful when I tried it on and the lady suggested a different dress which I hated on the hanger. Ended up being 'the one' and I knew as soon as I tried it on. The ladies are really good at knowing what will suit your shape but don't go for anything you're not happy in x

Congratulations on your wedding!

Personally, I think maybe you should go alone or with a trusted friend who will be honest but not push their favourites on you. Dress shopping should be fun, some shops are better at encouraging this than others, but try and keep that in mind.
Think about the parts of your body that you do like and ask the shop for dresses that highlight these and hide the bits you're not so keen on. Ballgowns and a-line dresses with a sash can make waists look tiny but cover hips, straps can break up wide shoulders etc..
Best of luck, really hope that you find something that you love

Thanks all for your messages.
I spoke to my mum yesterday and told her my concerns. We've agreed to just focus on shapes today and once that's decided we'll then focus on finding "the" dress. Luckily OH being very supportive. He's offered to come with but I'd rather keep it a surprise. Fingers crossed today will be positive ☺️ Xxx

Have fun- forgot to add that it's really important you like the shop and the ladies. The 1st shop we went to, I looked quite fat in one of the dresses and the lady said, "Well obviously you'll want to loose weight before the big day". What a bitch! x

Good luck with the shopping!! I think you will know when you find it, I tried on over 40 and still had that feeling!!

Let us know how you get on! X

Fairy princess- wow, what a real bitch!! Can't believe she said that!!

Well today was a success I guess! But I'm now torn between 2 dresses- which are sooooo completely different I can't make a comparison! One is chiffon, fitted at the top, full lace back very floaty, very glamorous but yet very simple, which I felt gorgeous in & the other was a mermaid style, very fitted, organza with a kind of lace appliqué over the top, again simple (I'm not a bling bling kinda girl) beautiful dress that I felt very thin and sexy in? The second felt more like a wedding dress whereas the first although felt like a wedding dress, didn't really look like a wedding dress? SOOOO confused! I definitely haven't found "the" dress but atleast ive found a style I like xxx

Can't believe you've found 2 that you like when you didn't even think you'd find one! Maybe go back and try them both again and you might be more drawn to one than the other x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back