OT but wondered if anyone had any experience/ascice

lozzle

Reaction score
Hello,

Before finding out I was pregnant I was at university receiving a bursary my last payment was 17th may and I left on 31st may. I have today received a letter from SAAS (the student loan people) saying I owe them £1249. I don't disagree with my last day of attendance but I don't understand where they get that figure from when my monthly bursary was £978. Also I am worried as since leaving the university I have gone back on to income support until baby is a bit older and I can go to work and I am very worried about how I will be able to pay this back I always thought you would need to be working/making a certain amount of money before they could reclaim?

If anyone knows anything about this it would be a help. Thank you

I don't have answers but ring citizen advice bureau they will be able to help explain x

Hi Lozzle,

I also owe a student loan. I was unemployed last year and each year they sent me an income assessment form whereby if you don't earn above a certain threshold each month you do not need to start making repayments. Get in touch with them and ask to be sent such a form for you to fill out. I think the letters telling you how much you owe are standard before the situation of the individual has been properly assessed so don't worry too much.

As for the difference in amount you now owe, I would have said this may be interest, But it seems too high so double check with them and ask them to explain it to you to be sure.

Hope this helps to reassure you a little!

xxx

Unfortunately if you've been overpaid you will need to pay it back. Student loans you don't have to pay back until you are earning over a certain amount. Having said that if you've been overpaid and received money you aren't entitled to, whether its a loan or bursary, you do have to pay it back. The same thing happened to me when I left uni. I phoned the student loan company and they arranged a payment plan for me so I could pay it back monthly rather than in a lump sum, they were happy with about £25 per month.

Not sure where they got that figure from, it does seem high, you're best off giving them a ring so they can explain it to you.

Xxx

Thank for all the replies I will get in touch with them

I would ask them for a breakdown before agreeing to pay anything xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27