Opk help - how accurate are they?

Donna88

Reaction score
I don't think I'll stop second guessing it until I think I'm next due on and get a negative pregnancy test. But I was wondering if anyone could help.

Im waiting for my cycles to return after coming off contraception. Two weeks ago, I had two nights of fresh bleeding with the two days in between brown blood. I worked out if that was the start of my cycles or a period... I would be due to ovulate around about the beginning of this week.
On Friday I got a small amount of ewcm; Saturday and Sunday I had lots of watery cm. Today; I have still had the watery cm but it's been drying up compared to the weekend. I've also had backache, cramps and my boobs are getting sore.... from what I remember from before I was on the contraception; these signs all point towards ovulation and at the right time based on my bleeds too.

However, I have been doing Opk's and I'm not only getting negatives but I haven't even been getting a faint line... just the test line has been showing up.

The sensible part of me is telling me that this means I'm not ovulating and that all the cm and other signs are just my body doing what it needs to do to get back on track... but I can't shake the other part of me that just thinks everything is happening at just the right tome; how can I have all these signs and not ovulate?

So my question is, is there a chance I either have a bad batch of Opk's or be doing them wrong? Or does no line at all tell me for definite that I'm not ovulating yet?

What time of day are you testing? What tests are you using?

I'm just using Internet cheapies.

I heard that fmu is no good for them, so I've been using them at around 4 or 5 o'clock. I've been trying to go to the toilet around half 1 and not drink anything between then and my opk toilet trip; but my urine tends to still look quite diluted. I hate the feeling of being dehydrated so struggle with drinking any less than I already do.

Other people on here have told me they don't have issues with Opk's and diluted urine though :( which makes me think chances are my body just isn't ready yet.... but I don't want to believe that; my backs killing me now and again it used to before when it was ovulation time.

I never needed to not drink. For me the best time to test to see a positive was always around 8/9pm but I used to test 3 times a day to make sure I caught the surge 2pm, 5pm, 8pm give or take an hour.
Remember that the fertile cm comes before ovulation and usually ov happens a day or two after fertile cm disappears x so still time for a positive x

Last edited:
I think it's the lack of line at all that's getting me down, most people talk about getting a line that gets darker. Thankyou that's good to know though, I'm still getting CM now so maybe I am jumping the gun and might ovulate later in my cycle.

Thanks replying :) I appreciate it

Maybe try a different brand just be to sure?

You could have a bad batch.

So you think it could be a bad batch and not me being too positive?

I might see how I get on, order some more online for next cycle and see if AF (or dare I say it bfp) arrives in a couple of weeks. Or if I don't chill a bit more on it I might treat myself to a cb at least then I'd have a much better idea, even if it said I wasn't ovulating at least I'd know that was the case x

I'm not sure...but I would definitely try some branded opks just to see. Some people love the Internet cheapies and others have had bad experiences.

Remember though (as helpful posters have told me here) the opk won't actually tell you if you have ovulated - just that there was a surge.

Yeah that's true, I'm at the point where anything would be nice though lol... anything other than what my body keeps telling me as I'm not convinced I can trust that either

Have u got any female friends or family members that could try them out for you? Just ask a couple of people try them and send you pics of te results. You would then see if they were working as everyone would be at different points of their cycle.

I'm not sure about one step ovulation tests. I've used them this month. But I've just binned one step preg tests. My friend used some of mine to see if she was pregnant as she got a positive 4 days early on another brand. And one step showed nothing until after her AF was due. Meant to be 10ml test. I've used them in the past and they were great. So I think it was a bad batch. If this can happen to the preg tests I would say it was possible for the ovulation to be faulty.

I get a fair line on every test regardless of the cycle day. But this is normal for some people and not for others. It was my first moth using them and I could see the lines getter darker. Then positive. Then faint again. I've never had a negative one. But like I said its normal for me!
I test 3 times a day. Maybe try that! Xx

I'll have a think about someone I could ask; but I think theyre all on contraception lol. I don't want to tell too many people we're trying either as I don't want people second guessing whether we're pregnant or not.

I really feel like it's happening though, my cm dried up last night and I've been dry today with tender boobs, lower back pain and cramps.

Try your other half. Men have LH too. I'm not sure if it's constant through their cycle or only peak times. But ask him to do one and see lol I'm sure you are. One step aren't the most reliable xx

Well we DTD on sat and sun; I'll see if we can fit it in tonight too, just in case.

That isn't a bad plan; I'll get him to do a few over the next week or so and that should give us some idea if they're working or not.

Thanks for the advice and help :) I'll keep you updated

So I'm not ovulating and neither is my husband.

When I went to the toilet there was a tiny bit of sticky mucus in my pants, wondering if that's the start of the creamy stuff. I'm still gunna have to wait and see what happens in two weeks; but it seems odd to me that I had ovulation symptoms last month, a bleed two weeks later followed two weeks after that by more ovulation symptoms.

Maybe I am ovulating; maybe not.... but if not surely my body is trying to do something

I don't know what to think;

So back to the start I thought I was due to ovulate yesterday. Saturday and Sunday I had really watery cm (we BD'd both days) Monday it starred to dry up, yesterday I was dry, but had sore boobs, cramps and back ache. Today I have loads of creamy cm.... I'm fairly new to this but doesnt all that point towards me ovulating yesterday? (Which was when I thought I would) but all my Opk's have been completely blank :/

I think I'm going to assume I did; but also be prepared to possibly not have a period or a bfp in two weeks time. Only time will tell.

I don't know what to think;

So back to the start I thought I was due to ovulate yesterday. Saturday and Sunday I had really watery cm (we BD'd both days) Monday it starred to dry up, yesterday I was dry, but had sore boobs, cramps and back ache. Today I have loads of creamy cm.... I'm fairly new to this but doesnt all that point towards me ovulating yesterday? (Which was when I thought I would) but all my Opk's have been completely blank :/

I think I'm going to assume I did; but also be prepared to possibly not have a period or a bfp in two weeks time. Only time will tell.

You sound like you've ovulated. Can you not go into town and buy some more? If you ovulated yesterday you should still get a line today. That way your not stressing for the rest of this cycle. Mine start faint, get darker, positive, and then gradually go faint again. Il post a picture leading up to ovulation. If you look at the bottom test that's what mine are like the whole cycle. You may get something on a different brand. Obviously you may have missed the LH surge but at least you will know if your tests are faulty or not. Good luck xx

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 2
I'll see if I get time to pick some more up tonight. I didnt realise I'd still get a line today if I ovulated yesterday. Thankyou

I got positives for a day and a half. Then they gradually went fainter. I'm not sure if that's the same for everyone. But it's worth a shot! Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back