Opinions on blanket over prams

Discussion in 'Baby & Toddler' started by Hunnie, May 27, 2013.

1. Hunnie

Hunnie Well-Known Member

Now to start off with when I say blanket I mean like a cellular one with the holes, not a great big thick opaque onelol!

This is a follow on from toddler behaviour thread i posted the other day and I'm interested in your opinions on blankets being put over prams.

Long story short, the method I've found that works to calm LO down when she is having a tantrum is to put her in her cot for around 5 minutes with some quiet time. She doesn't try to go to sleep but just quietly sucks on her dummy and comes out of the cot a completely different child and we get on with the day and have a good time until the next tantrum starts.

I'm thinking of using the blanket when we are out and about in public. She pretty much walks everywhere but my idea is that when the tantrum really kicks off, she goes back in the pram with her dummy, I recline the seat, pull the hood down and put a blanket over the rest of the hood (as it doesn't come down very far) and then carry on till she has calmed down and she can either stay in if she chooses or walk again.

My problem is though, I did this a few months ago when she got overstimulated and the amount of dirty looks I received really put me off doing it again so my question is, would you or wouldn't you and if not any other advice for managing these behaviours when we are out and about would be greatly received!

Xx

2. CARNAT22

CARNAT22 Well-Known Member

Hun, I am sorry that you've been made to feel bad by other people.

You do what you need to do to calm your child down.

I don't think a blanket over a pram looks odd. You should see the crap dangling from my pram :lol:

xxxxxxx

3. Angela2612

Angela2612 Well-Known Member

Our pushchair has a extender for when the suns out so covers most of it so I don't see any problem in using a blanket if it helps calm LO ect you do what you need to do I don't see any harm in it

4. Lolly85x

Lolly85x Well-Known Member

I've seen a few blankets over prams? Especially in reclined prams? I thought maybe it was to keep the light out when lo was having a nap!!

Do whatever you need to do, and what works for you!xx

5. kedi376

kedi376 Well-Known Member

I think you'll get a lot more people looking at you strangely if your LO is in full tantrum mode :brat: Do whatever you feel is best for you and your LO, if the blanket idea works then go for it. I've seen lots of ladies with blankets over the prams.

6. charliebear

charliebear Well-Known Member

Do whatever is best for you.

I used anything I had to hand to cover my sons pram, for a tantrum or sleep! x

7. MrsT2011

MrsT2011 Well-Known Member

I've put a blanket over when its been really sunny or B is trying to sleep so I don't think it will look odd x

8. Lynds77

Lynds77 Well-Known Member

why dont you get a sleep/sun shade? then people will just think she is sleeping!

we got the outlook shade a babe. Its has 3 layers, a flap so you can see right in, then a mesh so its not totally dark then the sleep shade which is dark but baby can still just see out.

its awesome. But if i saw a blanket over a pram I would just assume the babe was sleeping. x

9. Ammdaz

Ammdaz Well-Known Member

When my DS was younger I sometimes used to put a blanket over his pram/pushchair when he was napping or to keep the sun out if it was too bright, making sure I left plenty of air holes. I do remember one time some woman coming up to me and saying, 'oh gosh, can be breathe in there?!' Uh no love I'm really going to allow my son to suffocate?!! Lol anyway as the others have said if it works I don't think there's a problem with it at all, much better than having a screaming child. If I see a blanket over a pram I just assume the child is napping xxx

10. ChloeNat

ChloeNat Well-Known Member

I usually put a blanket over the pram when the sun is too bright. Not strange at all xx

11. TORino

TORino Well-Known Member

You could use a snoozeshade? I don't think it's odd, high 5 for finding something that works x

12. rheannymac

rheannymac Well-Known Member

Definitely agree with the other girls, if its gonna work for you then stuff the looks and what other people say!
    You're always gonna get judging eyes when it comes to what we choose to do with our Los so just do whatever works for you, and be proud that you've found something that does work! Xxx

13. Hunnie

Hunnie Well-Known Member

Thank you for all your help!

Going to go with it and stuff what other people think as she's making me want to tear my hair out with how naughty she gets so any relief is better than none lol

14. Pudds86

Pudds86 Well-Known Member

I always used to put cams blanket over his pushchair not for tantrums but for sleep. However if he was having a tantrum now he'd just pull the blanket off anyway.

Wouldnt worry what other people think.

Tapatalking :-D Can't see tickers...

15. Hunnie

Hunnie Well-Known Member

That's why I'm thinking ill try the blanket and if not ill buy a sleep shade. X

16. NavyLouise

NavyLouise Well-Known Member

I've seen people with full on fleece blankets all the way over their prams quite a few times! I've thought Jesus that's dangerous, but I wouldn't be giving any dirty looks!

Can't see the problem in chucking a cellular blanket over the top, seems a good idea if it calms lo down! It would probably let in more air than most rain covers!
    I had my cardi hanging off the top of our pushchair yesterday to block a bit of sunlight while E slept! There was a big gap at the bottom so I can't see a problem :)

17. tinkerbell86

tinkerbell86 Well-Known Member

I do it when my lo is napping but I've bought a snooze shade and that is good it stops the wind and light getting into them and the one I have zips open so he can look out when he wants to!x