once baby has arrived, when do you go out?

dmkirk89

Reaction score
hi girls, was just wondering when your babbas are born how long is it before you start adventuring out? I know everyone will be different but i just wondered, i suppose it might be different if your establishing breastfeeding for the first time though, just wondered really when you start going food shopping etc visiting family and that xx

with first i waited about 1 week and with second i was the same however...this time i will be out within days..with 2 kids age 7 and 4 being in the house for a full day is not really an option - i would go insane! xx

in big crowds or lots of people a week to 10 days is probably sensible, to minimise exposure to too many germs. depends how you feel too! I have my bro's wedding which will be on 12th Sept, so fx we an make it. bit worried it will be very soon after if baby is late as everyone will be prodding and wanting to hold baby...can feel myself freaking out already! haha

xx

my SIL waiting 4 days and she only went to a local beer garden for an hour then went back home for home visit. he then went to B n Q first thing on a morning and that was it.

she has then waited until he was 13 days old before taking him out anywhere big

We will take baby out for a walk and to town to register the birth etc but I think visitors will have to come to us for the first few weeks.

My sister is getting married 5 weeks after my due date so that will be our first big outing!

When I'm ready to go out myself really. Think it was about 4 days first time. Hopefully this time I'll be up for a walk sooner if the birth goes to plan :)

----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

DD was born early wed morning, home Friday afternoon and in pub sat night.

Not quite how it sounds as it was my friends hotel that was closing down so we, plus my folks all popped round to say hello.

By I think the Monday we had to go into town (half hr drive) so I could get nursing bras.

Just depends - my LO was a very portable baby, so we went out quite a lot in the week DH was off on paternity leave.

James was 5 days old when we first ventured out, it was bloody freezing though!! Prob close to 0c :shock:

We only went to the local supermarket and popped into in-laws.

We started going out regularly when he was 2 weeks - so we'd pop out for an hour a day?? Visit people for a cuppa, pop to the local shopping centre etc..

First time I went proper 'out' for about several hours was to a friends LO's first Birthday and James was a month.

xxxxxx

thanks ladies, i guess when i feel comfortable and ready xx

I think just see how you feel hun. We went food shopping when Ana was 2 days old, and then took her out for dinner with us to harvester when she was 5 days old. Now I try and go out somewhere everyday, mainly just for me to get out of the house. x

I think just see how you feel hun. We went food shopping when Ana was 2 days old, and then took her out for dinner with us to harvester when she was 5 days old. Now I try and go out somewhere everyday, mainly just for me to get out of the house. x

i just thought it would be easier to venture out if i was formula feeding but im planning on breastfeeding? Did you breastfeed? Im sick of being in the house all the time, i cant wait to take babba out xx

i was stuck in hospital for 3 days, when we got out we went to asda and then to my mums on the way home from hosp with new baba, its up to you and how you feel hun, after that it was about a week til i went out again just cos i had no reason to, ppl were visiting and i was busy with baby. there was no need to go out lol, then i went to a breastfeeding group when baby was about 4/5 weeks old and book group at 8 weeks

I bf and we managed pub at 3 days, out for a walk around town, registering the birth and lunch with mil, visit to my work, and a shopping trip into town for bras all in the first week. And bf group at nine days old.

Every baby is different though. Just see how it goes. X

I have no prior experience so just gunna see how I feel I'd love to take little one out to show off as soon as I can tho

Everyone is different but if you're trying to establish bf it can be very hard to get out for any length of time because once your milk is in they feed constantly. I wasn't prepared for that and felt quite trapped if I'm honest. Hardly finished a feed but he was wanting fed again so it was very hard to even get a shower or something to eat never mind gadding about. That said I did get out with the pram (when he was sleeping) to stop the cooped up feeling. That's just me though. We're on formula now and it's much easier to get out and about now.

Probably best to get visitors to come to you (when you're ready) and don't feel bad if you have to say no to some ppl, it can be hard to entertain folk when your sitting with your baps out most of the day lol x

I often see people with babies who sound and look just a few days old coming into work (supermarket) to do their shopping. I always wondered how they can take the baby out so soon. But, how would I know? Lol.

Its hard to tell until you know how you feel I guess. And how comfortable you are taking baby out. I cant wait to take the pram out. OH and I have decided to walk around the area with the pram before going anywhere else. I dont want that feeling that everyone is looking at me lol x

Sent from my GT-I9300

i just thought it would be easier to venture out if i was formula feeding but im planning on breastfeeding? Did you breastfeed? Im sick of being in the house all the time, i cant wait to take babba out xx

You're probably right. Some women and babies take to breastfeeding like a dream so maybe going out for longer, earlier is easier.

I struggled with breastfeeding. It was very painful to the point I was screaming and in tears. So not something I could do in public!!!

My first public feed (besides breastfeeding groups) was at a NHS new parents baby group when she was 4 weeks old. The following week we all went to the pub after the meeting and that was my first real feed in public. I had actually taken a bottle of expressed milk (but as usual she refused) so I braved it next to a table of about ten blokes in their 20s. I could have died. But needs must!! if I had the same situation a few months later I wouldn't have had a second thought about the lads! You get used to it.

If planning on breastfeeding I recommend you start casing out all the changing rooms where ever you go, or eyeing up quiet corners that might look good. Most public places have somewhere to breastfeed, loads of department stores have rooms. My favourite was john lewis, it was very nice, comfy chairs, water, facilities for bottle feeders. Husband could still come in, but just not down the end into the breastfeeding room. Very well thought out.

----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

I'm afraid it's one of those things you can't really plan. It depends on how you are and how the baby is.

I had a straightforward home birth, but lost quite a bit of blood and injured my coccyx. I couldn't stand without being dizzy for 2 days and I couldn't sit upright, say in a car, for at least a week. We also had trouble with BF.

I went out on day 9 to a BF group as we badly needed help. I went to the supermarket on day 10. We started properly going out and about at around 2 weeks. The baby went out though, he was fine! He went for short walks in his pram from day 2, with DH or my mum.

Last edited:
I was in hospital for 2 days and came out at 3pm and went to mums for tea at 6pm. I was out with the pram the next morn and then have been out daily walking and visiting.

I aren't one for being stuck in and I have visited people on my terms when Lucie has been fed etc. one thing I didn't want was being stuck in all day waiting for visitors that then stayed for hours.

I know it's not for everyone but its suited us and I feel great, the baby wright is coming off and my legs are less pasty lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back