OMG - Advice on Staying Realistic.

Sunshine1983

Reaction score
So my partner and I agreed we were about ready for a baby and I stopped the pill approximately 2 months ago. We haven't been using other contraception as I figured our chances of conceiving straight away are slim; we both smoke (although I have cut down significantly and been going several days at a time without a cigarette), I had been very stressed up until about a month ago, I am age 33 so not such a spring chicken, and he works away in the week so we only have sex once or twice each weekend.

Anyway, I'm not exactly sure how long my cycle is as I have had a few funny periods since stopping the mini pill. My last cycle was 24 days and today would have been day 29 of current cycle. AF hasn't arrived yet so I did a poundland pregnancy test this morning and a very faint positive line came up. I just went and got another test from Sainsbury's and it is a definite positive.

I am so excited/pleased and really want a child but am trying to remind myself that the chances of a chemical pregnancy are high so early on. How do I keep my feet on the ground and stay realistic? I have wanted this for ages and am concerned that I'm getting excited over nothing or that I'm going to be really low it the pregnancy doesn't progress. If anyone has any experience with a chemical pregnancy or any advice, it's much appreciated.

And needless to say I won't be smoking ever again!

Cheers
Sunshine

Congratulations! I don't think there is anything you can do to stop thinking about it/getting excited. It is a hugely exciting time and you just have to hope for the best.

I've had 2 mcs and last month a chemical pregnancy, even after my losses I'm thrilled if terrified when I see that second line. Good luck!

Just be excited. You don't know what will happen so i would advise stop stressing over it, stress is bad in pregnancy. Few changes you could make are stay away from you OH when hes smoking, Take folic acid or a pregnancy vitamin.
Obviously just saying stop stressing isnt easy, i know its difficult, but if its going to last it will, If its going to happen it'll happen theres nothing you can do which will stop it.
Have a happy and healthy 9 months. x

Thanks both, I got the OH to call me at lunchtime and told him the good news. He is as thrilled as I am! We both agreed it's very early days so whilst we're excited, we are just going to see how things go.

Snowbee - sorry to hear about your mcs �� but that is positive that you are conceiving. I hope you get the result and healthy pregnancy you want soon.

Peanutbutter - OH only ever smokes outside but I will be sure to keep away from any second hand smoke as far as is possible. I've been taking folate supplements for a few months (since just before stopping the pill) so will keep those up. Have cut back on caffeine and will stick to decaf only now. I don't feel I'm stressing yet so am going to enjoy the current situation for as long as possible and hope all progresses well. I swear my period is going to arrive any moment though as really feels like it's on it's way (not cramping per say but a fullness and occasional slight ache from my womb area). My poor nipples have been very sore for about 10 days but I always get that prior to my period (maybe not quit this sore normally).

Not sure I actually believe the test result. Going to leave it until the OH is back from work on Friday and do another test so that he can see it 'in the flesh'. Want to go and dance around the living room!

Last edited:
I don't think there is much you can do to stop worrying.....just have faith that it will go well :)
I had an mc in between my last pregnancy (my son is 4yrs old) and this pregnancy. You can't help but feel worried because so many people suffer mc's......but then again so many people don't.
There is always something to worry about in pregnancy and you can drive yourself mad.
Enjoy this time where you and OH have this fab little secret that nobody else knows about x

After two losses and two healthy pregnancies (and pregnant again), here is my take on things. Enjoy being pregnant. As others have said nothing is totally going to stop you from worring (or being excited) but dont let worry stop you from enjoying pregnancy. After my 1st pregnancy ended as a CP I spent half of my next pregnancy half expecting things to go wrong. Thankfully DD was born healthy but l felt a bit robbed of really enjoying the pregnancy. After another healthy pregnancy with DS when I got pregnant again I was more relaxed. Sadly that ended in a MC at 10 weeks. Although it was heartbreaking I don't regret having enjoyed the pregnancy. Looking back I can enjoy the good memories how excited I was about the BFP. It feels like we made the most out of our time with out little bean even though it wasnt long enough. I am 16 weeks pregnant again and so far everything is going well with the baby. I can't say I never worry, I'm not sure there is a pregnant woman who can, but I have tried to see every day with this baby as a blessing and make the most out of it.

Last edited:
I had two losses before my now two year old, another loss and now I'm 25w pregnant. The best advice I could give would be to try and enjoy every day being pregnant. Do everything you can to give yourself the best chance and only tell people you'd need if it went wrong prior to your dating scan. Fingers crossed it all goes well for you xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back