Oliver's breath holding.. UPDATE - hospital referral

*Star*

Reaction score
he's just done it again, this is the third time today. he's never done it twice in one day, never mind 3 times. do you think i should take him to the dr?

Took Oliver to a soft play area today. He was playing happily etc, and I could see him starting to get tired. So I was getting things ready and to keep him in one place I was going to put him in the high chair. As I tried to put him in he obviously didn't want to go in, and he started to really cry and get frustrated. As soon as he started to do that I thought, here we go.

When he is tired, if something doesn't go his way etc he has a breath holding spell. He CANNOT control this. And this is what he did when he wouldn't go in the high chair.

So I had to sit down with him, he was going blue and he was in mid scream. was thrashing about in my arms, and i have to hold him down because otherwise he will scratch at his face, just really in a blind panic.

Of course, all the drama that goes with that meant we had a fair few people watching us. He did eventually take a breath, and he was out of it for about 30 seconds. Was just limp and floppy in my arms. He soon perked up again and I let him go play while i sorted amelia's things.

I could see people watching us, but i didnt say anything.

I just got everything ready and I can see Oliver at a bob the builder ride on machine. there was another boy there in front of him and oliver was pulling at his clothes to try and get him out of the way.
So i go over to him, pick him up and tell him off for pulling the boy.

Then he cries, and starts up with another breath holding spell. this time it was worse. i get him sat down in my arms again on a chair, and he is really struggling, fighting me, he went purple. it was horrible. his eyes were half open and all i could see was the deathly pale/white of his eyes. he lost concouisness and went limp, but he still didnt breath.

this was the longest bhs he's had. he did eventually take a breath, but he was out if it for a good minute if not 2.

when he comes round he's crying and fighting me, cause he just doesnt know where he is. he hates close contact with people when he comes round. so i put him on the floor and he starts to calm down and eventually is ok.

both of these happened within the space of 5 mins of each other.

i couldnt help but see people looking over at me. like i had some kind of evil child or something. he cannot help doing this, he isn't holding his breath or anything because he is a brat, he really cant help it.

i dont know what to do. i ended up leaving the play area almost in tears because of the looks i got. why cant people be more accomodating. he isnt spoilt. it may look like it in some ways, but he isnt breathholding for attention. why cant people mind their own business, unless they want to help?

That must be so scary :shock: :hug:
if i saw a little boy doing that i would go over to see if he was ok/offer to help! not stand there judging and thinking he was a brat.
hope your ok and hope you find a solution soon :hug:

thanks hun. as far as i know, its just a case of waiting until he outgrows it. people can be so cruel. they saw i had amelia with me and they just looked down their noses at me.

people can be so unfair.
i hope he out grows it and stops scaring his mummy soon!
Id be so frightened if Amelia did that, if she has a little sniffle im nearly on the phone to A&E lol so i cant begin to imagine how scary it must be for you :hug:

yes its hard. thing in i can usually predict when it's going to happen. if he is tired then i have to be so careful with how i treat him. i cant just tell him no and take him away because this is what happens. i have to try and distract him etc.

thankfully it doesnt happen that often, but were talking maybe 5-6 times a months

hey, well done you for coping with it so calmly, i hope he grows out of it soon.. :hug:

well 4 times today.

gonna make a dr's appointment tonorrow :)

People are horrible sometimes.

Were you at Rascals? OH and I were going to go today but we decided to try a new one that someone recommended to us. Wish we hadn't, it was crap.

I'd have offered to help you if I was there. In fact as a mum I find myself offering other mum's a hand all the time when I see that they are juggling stuff. Then I get pee'd off when I'm stuggling and no-one steps in to help :roll: :roll: OH says I'm a mug...he's probably right

I would def take him to the doc's...even if they say he'll grow out of it etc etc, at least it does give you some piece of mind. It must be really really stressful for you :hug: :hug: :hug:

thanks hun :hug: yes we went to rascals. it was pretty busy. quite a lot of older children around.

benjamin's half term is next week, but i think some schools must have half term this week. there were quite a lot of rougher kids running round :(

Yeah id take him to the doctors i watched a program about like 999 calls etc and there was a mother of two twin girls and one of them had started to hold their breath like oliver but always took a breath after a look time. One day they were all in the kitchen and the little girl started crying and then held her breath, she went blue and her mother couldnt get her to breath again, she grabbed her and rushed her to her neighbours who called an ambulance, it was a postman passing the house that heard crying and screaming etc and went in and was a first aider he did mouth to mouth to bring her back.

Sorry dont mean to scare you hun, id just see a doctor to see if they can give you advice on how to handle the situation.

It must be terribly frightening for you when it happens :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Let us know what the doctor says, thinking of you hun :hug: :hug:

I agree with the others hun, that sounds medical to me so I'd get him to the doctors :hug:

thanks everyone. it's good to talk about it

i made an appointment for him this morning. and because it isnt an emergency, they next available one they have is next thursday morning.

I'll be able to use that apointment to get him referred to the allergy clinic too over his potential peanut allergy

well this is getting ridiculous. he's had another this morning. thats 5 in the space of 24 hours.

im dreading stopping him from doing anything in case he does it again :(

*Star* said:
well this is getting ridiculous. he's had another this morning. thats 5 in the space of 24 hours.

im dreading stopping him from doing anything in case he does it again :(

ring the doctors back hun, it sounds urgent to me :(

Id ring them back too, just say your worried he'll keep holding his breath for longer.

I rang them back, I have to ring back at 12 to get an appointment for this afternoon. it's so horrible, i think i might keep my phone on standby, so that if he does it again before we go i can film it so show the dr

thanks lou - that's definitly reassuring.

interesting about the anemia side of it.

This sticks out

Very frequent spells such as several per a day should be assessed. This may be within the spectrum of what can happen during a spell but it should be further investigated.

So im glad i have that appointment booked for him

talking of that, its at half 1, so i need to get us ready for it.

will update when i get back

Good luck!! I hope they can offer you some reassurrance and help
:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back