Oliver Tomos - Induction of Labour 26/07/13

Bonfire Bride

Reaction score
Well ladies, I wrote this a while back and pressed the back button and lost it all...so here goes! Second time lucky.
After 3 unsuccessful sweeps (I didn't even get a sweep as cervix was closed and midwife could only enter a tip of her finger) I was booked in to be induced. I was absolutely gutted as I had had my heart set on a waterbirth in a birthing centre. I will say now however, that my experience at the hospital was amazing and the way my labour went, I would have been transferred there anyway.

Thursday 25th July
4:00pm - arrived at hospital and baby's heartrate was monitored to ensure he was stable. Midwife checked my cervix and advised I was still unfavourable and told me that it could take 2-3 days to induce labour. Not the news I wanted to hear. :wall2:

6:30pm - Propess inserted. I was told that this would be left in for 24 hours and if this didnt work they would then insert pessaries every 6 hours for the next 24 hours - if that didnt work - I would be hooked up to the drip. :shock:

11:30pm - First contraction - WOW! Midwife advised me to keep and eye on them as the propess can trigger similar pains to contractions. The contractions very steadily grew in strength and frequency - coming every 7-10minutes. I managed to breathe through them and rock my hips back and fore which helped reduce the pain. As this was an induction, hubby had to go home so was not with me at this point.

Thursday 26th July
1am - At this point I was starting to struggle and was worried I would wake up the other 3 ladies on the ward who were blissfully sleeping and snoring . Went to the toilet and my waters popped - a slight pop followed by a slight gush of pinky creamyish fluids - the colour of them is quite unusual. Told midwife and she asked to check the fluids - confirmed it was my waters. Also lost propess tampon at this point and was not replaced as it had started my body off well.

1am - 3am - time spent pacing the wards and in absolute agony with contractions - was given two paracetamol but requested something stronger as wanted to sleep if I was going to be giving birth in the future. Midwife advised she could get me Pethadine but would need to examine me first - Examination done and she confirmed I was 4cm dilated and needed to call hubby .

Delivery Suite

4am - had THE most amazing midwife in the delivery suite. I told her I would like to try gas and air but was not happy to try pethadine now as I didnt want it making the baby drowsy. She told me that Pethadine runs out after 5 hours and baby would not be here before then. As I had been strongly contracting since 11:30pm she gave me a shot of Pethadine to relax my body and get some rest - This did not happen as I think I was too worked up and full of adrenaline - I would not stop talking to my mam and husband. Pethadine was administered with an anti sickness med as it can cause ickyness.

Tried gas and air and I have to say it REALLY agreed with me. I started inhaling at the start of a contraction and it really took the edge off them. The next hours (from about 5am to 2pm in the afternoon) I experienced labour and have to say I loved it. The pain was manageable, Baby Oliver was settled and content and the midwifes were incredible. I was having a "textbook" labour and dilating 0.5cm every hour. Midwife advised me that if this was any slower, they would have to hook me up to a drip. :shock:

I vomited several times during labour but think that this was due to the continued use of gas and air and drinking so much water without eating anything at all. The funniest thing ever though was running to the loo for a wee and trying to get back to the gas and air in time for the next contraction. One of the best things I took to hospital were straws - as this allows you to keep hydrated no matter what position you are in.

3pm - I had an internal and was 9cm's but as I had now been in established labour for 15.5 hours on gas and air for the last 10 hours the hospital doctors asked for me to be hooked up to the drip, just to speed up the last cm dilation. It was at this point they noticed my blood pressure had surged and I had a temperature indicating an infection was developing. Midwife promised she would keep an eye on me.

3:30pm - Once I was hooked up to the drip, my labour went a little bit pear shaped. The contractions heightened again (didnt think it was possible) and the gas and air just couldnt stop them peaking. Pethadine was a no go as baby's delivery was imminent and I was determined not to have an epidural. After toe curling contractions and several nail marks in my husbands hands I was told I could start pushing but that baby was in a slightly awkward position and he would need to be turned slightly while coming down the birth canal. Babys heart rate was still going super strong.

5pm - I had been pushing for 1.5 hours now and baby was almost crowning - I think this was the first time I swore during the delivery I was absolutely exhausted and think it was quite traumatic for my mother who was trying to help by mopping my forehead with a damp flannel (really good idea). I had been on my back for almost all of the labour as baby had to be monitored throughout labour due to it being induced so this did not help Oliver to move down the birth canal. It was at this point (terrible timing) that I was falling asleep between each contraction - I can honestly say I have never felt so exhausted. After trying to push again I pleaded for help - I needed some sort of assistance.

5:30pm - Hubby was told to hit the emergency button and literally seconds later, the room was filled with 2 doctors and 7 midwifes. Fortunately, me and Oliver had done most of the hard work, so Ventouse was the only intervention needed. Legs in stirrups (how glamorous), a doctor told me I would need an episiotomy - this did not hurt half as much as the local anaesthetic they stabbed me with... They attached the suction cap to his head and told me to push with the next contraction. After 2 pushes, Oliver was born at 5:35pm weighing 8lb and reaching a very respectable 9 on his first APGAR score

I could not have skin to skin as the medical staff were busy stitching my episiotomy and taking my temp again as it was still elevated. More fluids were put into my drip and my mother dressed Oliver while hubby made the phone calls.
I had chosen active management to get over the third stage of labour to dleiver the placenta. It was delievered in seconds after the drug was administered. The placenta is a crazy looking thing and this is the only time in life when you will hear the words "Oh, you have a beautiful placenta " They asked whether I would be happy for it to be used in research, which I agreed to (I had no planned use for it - Yuck) Oliver was also given his Vitamin K jab.

Before the golden hour was up, Oliver was given to me and immediately latched onto my breast - he was an absolute natural and has been amazing at feeding ever since. No shower was offered as I had a bleed and was too exhaused to get up, so the midwives gave me a bedbath.

I would reflect on my labour as a very positive experience. I had a difficult time afterwards as they suspected I had contracted blood poisoning so put me into a high dependency ward and inserted a catheter. After being in labour for 18 hours I needed sleep but I was on hourly obs. My temp was sky high, BP was high - so they administered IV antibiotics and fluids and monitored my fluid output. This was difficult for me as I felt bedbound and couldnt easily pick Oliver up from his cot. The midwifes showed me how to feed him lying down and we still use this hold throughout the nighttime. By the afternoon the next day, my temp had dropped and I was feeling better.

Sorry it's such a long post, but before my induction I tried to look at as many personal experiences of induction - so if this helps one person, that's great.

Gas and Air was my best friend throughout the labour and delivery - helping me through very strong contractions brought on by drip, an episiotomy and a ventouse delivery. I will say however, that I dont think I would have been as exhausted if I had accepted some further pain relief so would advise to keep your options open. It is important to rest throughout a labour, so if that means having Pethadine or/and Epidural to allow you to get some sleep then so be it.

If you managed to get through this - Congrats.
I'll add two pics below of our gorgeous son - he is my absolute world. :lol::lol:

Natalie xxx

Here he is - 1 minute old :D My squished little man with my mam.

182957_10200989695856767_300366810_n.jpg

He is our world.

1001569_10151777861568769_141598309_n.jpg

Two of our favourite photos!
After our first breastfeed in public - huge milestone for both of us.

1005471_10151779269198769_878614621_n.jpg

Grumpy Bum

1097387_10201596349738137_1842352166_n.jpg

xxx If you have any questions, please ask xxx

Last edited:
What an amazing birth story!
Im sure it will make many women relax about the whole induction process!

Your little boy is beautifully perfect :)
well done and congrats... now enjoy him while he is so tiny, they grow too fast!!

lovely story and very detailed and long - which I love ;)

He's lovely - love the grumpy bum one! bless him.

Huge Congrats! I think it was WELL worth the wait! He is adorable - the grumpy bum face is just so kissable!!! :)

Thanks for the advice to keep all options open to. I think that really is the key!!! Enjoy your time with Oliver. XXX

Congratulations, sounds like quite a labour but glad overall you found it a possitive experience! Lovely pictures! X

Lovely birth story. You sounded just like me at the pushing stage - my OH was mopping my forehead with a wet cloth and I was exhausted and falling asleep between contractions too and telling them I wasn't going to push anymore and needed help to get her out lol. Little Oliver is gorgeous xx

Lovely birth story. You sounded just like me at the pushing stage - my OH was mopping my forehead with a wet cloth and I was exhausted and falling asleep between contractions too and telling them I wasn't going to push anymore and needed help to get her out lol. Little Oliver is gorgeous xx

Absolutely...my mother found this bit quite traumatic and midwife told me to expect this as it was the transition stage, but I really was shattered. It's a tough thing, but absolutely THE best experience of my life hearing his first cry...my heart literally ached when I heard him.

Thanks everyone for reading such a loooooooong post. I'll always keep this post safe, so I have something to look back on.

All the best to everyone expecting!! Induction is not the scary thing that everyone reads about. Two of my close friends have had babies in the past 2 weeks, after naturally going into labour and both of them have needed emergency C sections - so I dont think induction automatically means you are at higher risk of C section...it's an individual thing.

My birth plan went out the window...if this happens to you, just go with the flow...and pain meds are not a weakness.

Natalie xxx

I just cried when I got the part about all he midwives and doctors coming in. I always hate to hear that as I think it's time to start panicking and I wouldn't wish that upon anyone. Especially not after having to wait so long for your baby and going through contractions on your own when OH had to go home.

It sounds like you did really well.
Congratulations xx
Sent from my GT-I9300

Congrats! I love those pictures haha my LG pulls the same faces - so cute!! Xx

Just read your story, thanks for sending me the link! :) xxx

Comgratulations on Oliver, well done you - what a brilliant birth story - now where are his piccys!! Xx

You're welcome. It was quite a positive induction! JJ i had Oliver in 2013! His brother is due in October :)

I just sent the link to Colleen to try and ease some pre induction nerves xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back