ok stupid question, how to dress baby?

Heres Hoping

Reaction score
Sounds totally daft but while organising all my baby clothes i had a mini panic, im not confident on what to put on the wee mite & make sure they are cool or warm enough? Does it matter what type of bodysuit u put on under sleepsuits, long or short sleeve?? Also how many blankets do u normally put on them?

Can u tell im a first time mum lol x

I was like that with my first (still am now!). They generally say they should have an extra layer to you when it comes to clothing. When putting a sleepsuit on I would put a short sleeve vest, although in the winter you may want a long sleeve one. As my first was a Christmas baby he was layered up most of the time to begin with, having a summer baby I feel a little unsure about layers etc but it will all depend on the weather etc. if they are too cold they will let you know x

Hey I think it depends on how hot or cold it is for layering etc. In the heat you will want far less than when it's cold. I don't think there is a hard n fast rule just keep an eye on babys temperature and seeing how they feel or at least I think that's right. There are guidelines on temperature and blanket layers at night. X

You also have to work out what's right for your baby. Our LO has always been on the warm side so even in winter she would rarely wear a vest under her babygro or daywear. I used cardigans during the day instead that could be quickly removed if she got hot. Even this winter at nighttime we only used the heavier weight sleeping bag around 3 or 4 times.

Not a stupid question. I had a winter baby last time, so I feel clueless this time. I still don't know if I should be dressing the baby in short sleeved body suits when it's born, or long sleeved sleepsuits.

When my daughter was about 4 months old we had weather like this and she lived in a nappy with a fan blown on her. But I have no idea if you can do the same with a newborn!

----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

I have been thinking the same thing over the last few days especially with this heat!!! don't want them to be too cold or too warm!! The gro egg we have is freaking me out as well we have had the curtains closed and the windows open all day to try and keep our bedroom as cool as possible but its still saying its too hot!! Queue paranoid mother haha!! xx

Yourll know once baby here ok

All mine winter babies , they always had on a sleveless vest, a long arm and leg babygrow and a cardi or blanket inthe house. My mate who had a dec baby last year never use to put baby in a jumper when she went out just a blanket on top and get baby out for cuddle all over the place, it used to worry me sick! But apparently shes a hot baby, just check her temp regulary, be guided by if your cold, they need a tiny bit more heat that you would. There legs and arms will feel cold to touch so you can chk

If its like this heat in aug, your baby will be in just a vest or naked!!

Last edited:
Thanks ladies, i think im in a panic cos its so warm at moment. Upstairs is ridicuously warm, havent took the gro egg out, scared what it might say lol. hopefully il just know instinctly when baby is here but its hard to know, feel like such a novice x

Everyone feels like a novice, I'm sure. I still feel very much like a new mum even with a 16 month old - there's so much to take in!

Just make sure baby doesn't overheat in this kind of weather - we had an awful example of this over the weekend. I dressed my LO in a short-sleeved vest and thin sleeping bag, but she woke crying about 3 hours into the night, was bright red all over and very hot to the touch. Was so scary. I really thought I'd worked the whole clothing thing out... now she's in a thin pair of pyjamas at night without anything else on. If it gets any hotter, she'll be sleeping in her nappy! After all, she won't freeze in a room that's 24 degrees!

My pediatrician always told me that babies body temps are warmer then ours so dress them like yourself minus one layer. Don't over bundle.

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this! I've just got the Gro Egg out and it's 28.1 degrees in our bedroom!! There is a little guide book in there about what baby should wear for certain temperatures. I'm hoping instinct just kicks in when baby is here. I know they say it's better for baby to be slightly too cool than too hot and that's why this weather is freaking me out!!

You'll work it out when baby is here. I generally base it on how hot I am and how hot baby feels. Don't pay too much attention to all these things telling you the room is too hot, judge for yourself. Today my wee man is just in his nappy and vest. I did put a pair of shorts on him when we were out earlier, but that was more me trying to keep him decent!

Have lots of things you can layer easily and always take a blanket out with you. It's much easier to change a blanket on a sleeping baby in the pram than it is to take their coat on or off.

Last edited:
After delivering James I remember the MW showing OH how to dress baby!

Not only did we not have a clue what he should be wearing but we didn't know how to dress him :lol:

Within about 5 changes of clothes you get over that though!

Your bub is due in Aug so I would say it is totally dependent on the weather at the time? If it is like this I would stick to just a vest or something like this http://www.next.co.uk/g88598s3#144132g88

I'd say the same for night-time with a cellular blanket.

If it's a bit cooler then vest and baby-grow / sleepsuit and cellular blanket.

It was freezing from the day I bought James home until he was about 6 months old, so I never had any real worries about what to dress him in as the weather was always the same!!

xxxxxxxx

My gro-egg has been red for days topping 27.5 degrees. I dread to think what it would be in our room with our body heat adding to the mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back