OHSS and pregnancy

Discussion in 'First Trimester' started by Ragdoll, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Ragdoll

Ragdoll Well-Known Member

I have been told to have two weeks off, I have mild OHSS. I've been told to drink lots and eat 5 small meals a day. I'm glad it's only mild because I've had such bad stomach pain I can't imagine how I'd cope if it were worse !

Has anybody else had OHSS whilst pregnant? How long before it settled down? Any tips on managing the symptoms?

I have been told I can use paracetomol but I've refrained because I don't really want to take anything like that if I can avoid it.

Thanks in advance !

2. SiameseCatLady

SiameseCatLady Well-Known Member

No experience, but that must be scary...
    Just to say, I didn't want to use any meds during pregnancy and ended up HAVING to have 4, yes 4, lots of antibiotics from March until now and due in early September. I also took paracetamol a couple of times. You have to look after yourself because your baby is it going to be as well if you're not well and in pain.
    I have also had to use piles medication cream and suppositories and thrush cream. Baby seems to be absolutely fine! I would never have chosen this to be the situation and if it had been avoidable, I would have avoided it, but a little paracetamol is fine. Just maybe take one twice a day or something just to take the edge off.
    Honestly, it will be fine to take it. Xxx

3. Ragdoll

Thank you that's really helpful. You poor thing having all that going on ! Im having to use progesterone pessaries at the moment because my BFP was from IVF so I have to use them until they tell me not to ! It's all fun and games lol :)

4. SiameseCatLady

SiameseCatLady Well-Known Member

Yes. I would not use 'glamorous' or 'dignified' as adjectives to describe pregnancy accurately!
    Amazing that you have your BFP from IVF! Congratulations.
    They can never give you guarantees as not many pregnant women if any will be subjected to testing/trials. They just go by the evidence they have.
    Having said all of this, my NCT 'teacher' said paracetamol in labour is not dangerous, but might stall development of labour, just FYI in the future! Xx

5. Ragdoll

That made me chuckle - definitely not glamorous :D

If anything during labour I'm likely to request gas and air, I used it during my treatment and its marvellous stuff ! :)

6. tinselcat

tinselcat Well-Known Member

Hi Ragdoll

I suffered OHSS during early pregnancy. The worst of it lasted about a week. I could barely walk and was in an incredible amount of pain. From about 5 weeks it started getting better, once the bloating went down.

I was actually camping during some of this time (I refused to give up my much-looked-forward-to-holiday) where the cold nights always make me wake up needing to wee loads in the morning, and this I think helped with the bloating.

Hope you feel better soon xx

7. Ragdoll

Thanks Tinselcat- I was hoping it would start to settle down soon, it's always a worry when they tell you that pregnancy will make it worse ! Got to say I admire you for still going on holiday ! At least I've been given a couple of weeks for it to calm down :)