Officially a 'high risk' pregnancy.

SF2018

Reaction score
I had my first midwife appointment on Wednesday of this week and I am officially 'high risk', which I expected. This is due to my weight/BMI (which is 44, eeeek!) and the fact my last pregnancy resulted in an emergency caesarean.

I've been prescribed stronger Folic Acid to take until I am 13 weeks, and stronger Vitamin D (with Calcium?!) to take for the entirety of my pregnancy.

I don't so much mind being 'high risk' and consultant led, as I like the idea of additional scans! I'm a little more nervous about getting gestational diabetes this time around though, as I am just over 4 stone heavier than my first pre-pregnancy weight with my daughter.

Anyone else in a similar situation?

even though It's the other way round for me this time I do know how you feel!
I was so overweight with my first and it did worry me a little, I found I was getting out of breath so easily and I was always in pain
I fell with my second less than 12 weeks after she was born so not time to lose any I was a little more conscious with what I was eating then and managed to lose a little bit.. can the doctor provide you with a healthy eating plan? Sometimes they also give you discount/free gym memberships x

I'm "High risk" at the moment, due to BMI. Being bigger doesn't automatically mean you'll have GD or PE, I never have so far and hopeful I won't this time around too. Are you hoping to VBAC?

By no means does it mean you'll get either of those things.. the way the doctors look at it is that you're in a higher risk group so they will advise certain stuff/make you aware but it obviously doesn't make you feel great :(

Being on the receiving end of it was a little embarrassing for me because I felt like I was being looked down upon for carrying the extra weight and like I was being irresponsible for putting myself and my baby at a greater risk, in reality it isn't like that at all! There are SO many reasons why people carry a little more weight, they seem to tar everyone with the same brush :/

The best thing you can do is just to make some slightly more conscious food choices and gentle exercises like swimming or walking every little bit does help x

I am high risk not just due to BMI (40) but also due to previous pregnancy. I did get GD and Pre eclampsia and had my first at 36+6 by c section but there are many heavier women who have no problems at all and a natural birth and much smaller women who have lots of problems.

Unfortunately you may find that some health professionals are very negative about your extra weight however the consultants are usually great and will give you all the information about the risks. You will likely be advised to book a consultant appointment after your 20 week scan and that is your chance to ask any questions that you have.

It is also worth enquiring in your area if they have a healthy lifestyle service in your area or can give you vouchers to attend slimming world during your pregnancy as this is approved for use during pregnancy. Usually it is just about limiting the around of weight that you put on during pregnancy as weight loss is not promoted.

It is true that many bigger women go on to have healthy pregnancies without getting any of these issue, but you would be in a higher risk category.

Lots of people tiptoe around weight issues and it can seem offensive to tell someone that essentially they need to shed fat.

It is unhealthy to carry more weight than necessary and too much can be toxic...look at the backlash that cancer advert received! nuts..

Dieting and restricting calories (under daily recommended amount) isn't recommended during pregnancy but weight loss is absolutely especially when there is a high BMI as it puts you in a much higher risk group for certain conditions and needing interventions.
I'm fully aware I sound horrible and pretentious but I only want to help x

By limiting my weight gain during pregnancy I actually lost 12kg from my pre pregnancy weight when I had my first child. The issue with loosing weight during pregnancy tends to be about how people do that and that by restricting your diet (which is what a lot of people automatically will do with good intentions or without meaning to) it can lead to your body not getting a balanced amount of nutrition and therefore negative affects on baby. Therefore health professionals usually advocate managing weight (which should lead to a post pregnancy loss) rather than actually actively loosing weight during pregnancy.

Loosing weight but more so eating a healthy balanced diet is very important however it is sometimes easier said than done depending on that person's relationship with food and why they are overweight. In a ideal world we would not start a pregnancy while overweight but we all know that isn't always possible. Being high risk is not a bad thing in this kind of situation as without the increased monitoring there would be a lot more negative outcomes picked up too late

By limiting my weight gain during pregnancy I actually lost 12kg from my pre pregnancy weight when I had my first child. The issue with loosing weight during pregnancy tends to be about how people do that and that by restricting your diet (which is what a lot of people automatically will do with good intentions or without meaning to) it can lead to your body not getting a balanced amount of nutrition and therefore negative affects on baby. Therefore health professionals usually advocate managing weight (which should lead to a post pregnancy loss) rather than actually actively loosing weight during pregnancy.

Loosing weight but more so eating a healthy balanced diet is very important however it is sometimes easier said than done depending on that person's relationship with food and why they are overweight. In a ideal world we would not start a pregnancy while overweight but we all know that isn't always possible. Being high risk is not a bad thing in this kind of situation as without the increased monitoring there would be a lot more negative outcomes picked up too late

This is so true,

The correct way of losing fat isn't wide enough knowledge the 'eatwell plate' you see in the doctors is an absolute abomination but it's a compromise for a nation of people who just don't know how to eat.. or like you say people who are likely to look at the weight loss side of things rather than from a health perspective, sad really.

All this gives me mixed feelings.

I had my appointment with the midwife and I asked her about High Risk Pregnancy and she said not to worry because the only thing that isn't really the way it "should" be, is my BMI. Everything else (all the tests done on me) are fine.

However...they measured my BMI as 34 but they measured my height as 1,65m and I am NOT. I am actually 1.70m (5'7) so that automatically would change my BMI. How do I go about it? She reassured me that I am fine and I am not a high risk pregnangy but also hinted to see a dietitian...

I am really trying to watch my food intake but to be very honest: At the moment it seems impossible for me.

I had my appointment with the midwife and I asked her about High Risk Pregnancy and she said not to worry because the only thing that isn't really the way it "should" be, is my BMI. Everything else (all the tests done on me) are fine.

However...they measured my BMI as 34 but they measured my height as 1,65m and I am NOT. I am actually 1.70m (5'7) so that automatically would change my BMI. How do I go about it? She reassured me that I am fine and I am not a high risk pregnangy but also hinted to see a dietitian...

I am really trying to watch my food intake but to be very honest: At the moment it seems impossible for me.

Most trusts will not need you to be consultant led therefore classed as high risk until around the 38 mark if it is just on BMI alone. I would just mention the height discrepancy with your midwife next time you go though so that the BMI on your notes for the start of pregnancy is correct.

Most trusts will not need you to be consultant led therefore classed as high risk until around the 38 mark if it is just on BMI alone. I would just mention the height discrepancy with your midwife next time you go though so that the BMI on your notes for the start of pregnancy is correct.

Thank you!

I did point it out right away as I noticed it and she wasn't really having it.
Oh well...I tell her again next time.

I'd just work it out yourself and then change it on your notes?
I had a stubborn midwife at ADAU a few weeks ago, explained I wasn't seeing a midwife regularly but had one and was having a homebirth with her..She just wrote FREEBIRTH right across the front of my notes and refused to treat me properly :wall: if you feel it's wrong you must definitely speak up x

BMI doesn't count for a huge amount for a number of reasons....

I'd take all the help they offer because we get all the goodies when we're preggers! free dentist etc x

no dir experiences, just wanted with wish all the best

I have no idea, but little bit aware of this during my pregnancy. Risk factors for a high-risk pregnancy can include: Existing health conditions, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, or being HIV-positive. Wish you all the best.

I'm in a similar situation. This is my second pregnancy (DS is now a year old) and I haven't lost the baby weight from that pregnancy yet, so I am about 40-50lbs heavier than I was before I had him. My BMI is 30, and although that's bang on the cut off, I've been prescribed the additional folic acid and told I need the gestational diabetes glucose test too.

I'm also high risk because of placenta issues and PPH last time, but the BMI is another tick box on my high risk list. I'm consultant lead which is what I asked for too.

It's a bit overwhelming when you get a label like high risk, or when you have factors involved that can lead to complications. The only issues I had with DS during the pregnancy were sciatica and a few reduced movements towards the end which lead to induction at 41 weeks. Everything else went wrong after he was born!

I'm a bit bummed about not having lost any weight and being a much bigger size this time.

Don't panic! If you were induced and had a long, tiring labour that's probably why you had a PPH! Just because it's happened once, doesn't mean it'll definitely happen again.

I also had a PPH first time and needed a blood transfusion after an emergency c-sec, so second time round I was high risk, but actually I only saw the consultant once and that was to agree that I could try VBAC. I had an emergency c-sec again but totally different situation, so calm and no PPH.

This is my third pregnancy, I'm high risk again because I also haven't lost the baby weight and have a BMI of 30, I've had two previous c-sections and there are concerns about the arterial blood flow this time, but I'm not too worried. All it means really is they'll keep a closer eye on me.

Don't panic! If you were induced and had a long, tiring labour that's probably why you had a PPH! Just because it's happened once, doesn't mean it'll definitely happen again.

I also had a PPH first time and needed a blood transfusion after an emergency c-sec, so second time round I was high risk, but actually I only saw the consultant once and that was to agree that I could try VBAC. I had an emergency c-sec again but totally different situation, so calm and no PPH.

This is my third pregnancy, I'm high risk again because I also haven't lost the baby weight and have a BMI of 30, I've had two previous c-sections and there are concerns about the arterial blood flow this time, but I'm not too worried. All it means really is they'll keep a closer eye on me.

Thanks :) I had a PPH due to retained placenta (placenta accreta) which is why they're concerned about it having been missed not only during the pregnancy but for 2 weeks after birth (!!) and that it may happen again if the placenta has attached in the same place. Scary stuff. But I'm seeing the consultant on the 23rd for the first time so hopefully they'll offer a plan and some insight to what's likely to happen.

Glad your second c section wasn't as traumatic as your first - fingers crossed this one goes smoothly as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back