Obstetric cholestasis??

MrsEB

Reaction score
Anyone here who's he obstetric cholestasis in past pregnancies? I did my little boy and just wodnering what to expect the monitoring to be like this time incase I get it again? I'm seeing a consultant at 21 weeks anyway xx

I had it. But I haven't got it this time. They said 50/50 chance of getting it again. They didn't do any more monitoring only if I said I was itching they would do blood tests but all has been ok. Hope urs is too x

Aww that's great you didn't get again, amazing! Have you had a good pregnancy? I was thinking it's pretty much set I'd get again so I feel much more positive knowing you didn't get a second time xx

It's been completely different first time was horrendous I had hg felt really ill then developed oc at 35 weeks had her at 37 weeks with a long induction. I did have to have my gallbladder out when dd was 5 months as my liver never really recovered. This time I'm past due date and fed up but other than that it's been easy! I was really worried about getting it again but thankfully it's all been good. Really hope the same for you too xx

Sounds totally different! I'm 15 weeks so still a way to go till I see if I get it. I got it at about 30 weeks last time. Hope baby doesn't keep you waiting much longer! Xx

I had OC with my first two. Both times it came on (the itching) around 34 weeks, diagnosed by the blood test at around 35 weeks.

This time no itching and bloods at 37 weeks came back normal.

My first was born 12 yrs ago, When the OC was diagnosed I was kept in hospital for over a week, started UDCA tablets and had blood tests every second day. Went home but still had to have bloods taken every ither day, growth scans, scans to check blood flow through the umbilical cord, placenta function etc, and then induction at 37 weeks, but the induction worked right away and had my baby within 10hrs of being induced.

With my second, nearly 10yrs ago, they did bloods every 4 weeks from about week 20, til diagnosis at 35 weeks (I had actually started itching about a week earlier but those bloods were normal, they only went abnormal several days later) and then had bloods taken twice a week after that and on the UDCA and Vit K again until I was induced at 37 weeks. Also had all the monitoring like with my first.

This time I had a consultant appointment at 16 weeks and she just said come back if I had any itching, which I haven't.

My midwife decided to do OC bloods at 37 weeks just in case but they were normal.
This time I've had no scans or dopplers, but tonnes of blood tests due to low platelets lol.

I will say that I looked it up and found a few sites saying a low fat diet and Lecithin can help so that's what I have been trying to stick to over the last 4 weeks. I bought Lecithin off amazon (Veganicity brand) and was taking 1 or 2 a day til recently but I only have 3 left so skipped today, don't really want to buy more but this baby might not come any time soon lol.

Last edited:
Great to hear you've been ok so far this time to Phoenix. What's lecithin? Never heard of that. The low fat makes perfect sense though, less pressure on your gall bladder is always good. Was the first two oc pregnancies similar? Xx

My first two pregnancies were almost identical, right down to getting kidney stones at around 22 weeks both times lol.

This time has been a lot different, not sure whether that's because it's a different dad or just because it's 10yrs later and my diet is a lot different now to back then.

Lecithin occurs naturally in foods like soya beans, and eggs etc. But you can buy it as a supplement it's supposed to help break down fats, and be good for liver health.

I had this with my son, was induced at 37 weeks 5 days
This time round I have my first consultant appointment the beginning of August, no idea what that will involve lol. When I asked the midwife at my 16 week appointment she just said you will be kept an eye on, as there's a chance I'll get it this time too. I'm grateful that if I get it it'll be managed more smoothly

Gemma, your babies' birth dates are so similar to mine but 10yrs on! lol
My first as born 26/4/04 & second was 16/11/06 lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back