Obese... what to expect

FatMum2Be

Reaction score
Ok
So I’m approx 7 weeks pregnant (9 weeks since last period)
Had my first doctors appt today and first midwife appointment tomorrow
I have 2 stone I’ve past 3 months and I am intending to do slimming world and exercise .
Doctor clearly explained how high risk I am, said I would be under a consultant immediately.
I wouldn’t be being honest if I didn’t say I was petrified right now, what was I thinking?

I would just love to speak to people with very high BMI and their experiences (Good and bad):dust:

Hi

I'm also overweight and a bit worried. I'm 6 weeks tomorrow and I'm just like you with worrying. I think I'll probably be consultant led care too, but haven't been told this.

I'll just follow this as can't give you any experience at the moment, but would really like to know of any experiences.

When I was pregnant with my first I had a booking BMI of 43 and as a result I was under consultant led care. My MW didn't make much of a fuss about my weight although tbh it was only mentioned once at one of the consultant meetings. My pregnancy was very straight forward with no complications. I had to have the GTT when I was 28 weeks and I had additional scans to monitor baby's growth. baby weighed 7lb 9 and no complications in labour other than needing venthose delivery after having the epidural but that wasn't weight related...

In contrast my BMI when I had my daughter the following year was 33 and this was my best pregnancy and a text book labour delivered in two pushes with just gas and air

With my third I'm not sure what my BMI was but I was wearing size 10-12 clothes pregnancy was ok I was in hospital at the end for reduced movement and labour was by far my worst he had shoulder dyscotia (spelling) and in all honesty I have never been so scared in all my life. And this was when I was optimal weight.

This time round my BMI is 28 pregnancy so far has been a headache but that's more down to other issues than the baby herself I'm hoping for a labour like my daughters quick and easy..

I think added weight increases various risks but in my experience my best birth experience came when my BMI was higher than the NHS would like. And my worst when I was 'optimal weight'

Try not to panic.. slimming world and light exercise is great especially for helping your body prep for labour! Wishing you both all the best xxx

Last edited:
Thank so much for both of these messages.
My midwife was very nice she warned me of some of the increased risks but didn’t bang on about it. She strongly advised exercise and slimming world which I will do.

She has said I will be under consultant and there will be extra scans and tests but she said “ you look after you and I’ll look after baby” which was nice.

Would be great to keep in touch JenRose as we are about the same time on our journey.

Where about in the country are you? I wonder if healthcare is the same countrywide.

I'm overweight (admittedly not drastically but I come under the Obese category of BMI) and I was with my first too. I was so poorly with my first that I actually lost a stone and a half in the first 20 weeks. I haven't had that this time but will be under consultant care anyway as DS was delivered via EMCS.

I'm actually really happy being under consultant care as they keep just that extra eye on baby and making sure they get here safely. The only thing I worried about last time and I am worried about for tomorrow is them not being able to see enough at 20 weeks scan but she was able to get everything she needed with DS despite him wriggling so much she got frustrated a few times!!!

I am overweight so am high risk for that (amongst a million other reasons lol) but I had recently lost 9 stone in weight so had brought my BMI way down (but still high) Consultant isn't particularly worried about it, nor are midwives but I am told I will require continuous monitoring during labour because of this and more than likely via a scalp clip, but thankfully they have telemetry monitoring at my hospital so I can still move around. Also apparently I won't be able to have a waterbirth, but I personally think these are all very small concessions to make for my little princess :) xx

I had a bmi of 35 for first pregnancy and was consultant led care. I have to say weight was mentioned once at booking appointment and then never again everyone was lovely about it. I had to have the gtt and then some growth scans later on but all was fine and i had a very normal unconplicated labour. This time bmi is the same 35 and im not consultant led as they said everything was fine last time so no need this time. I do have to have the gtt again tho. I wouldn't worry they do a great job looking after you and no one will ever mention it again xx

I'm 5 stone overweight well probably more now. They wasn't bad with me when I was pregnant with my daughter. They just said eat healthier. The was a woman on here who was sent to consultant cos overweight then the consultant said its fine and just to go back with midwife. X

I have my consultant appointment next week. Does anyone know how much weight they'd like you to put on up to 16 weeks? I'm worried I have put on too much weight and they'll moan at me.

When I had my 12 week scan I had put on 2kg (bearing in mind this was over Christmas too). I have had such bad nausea and barely eaten so I'm well pissed off I've put on so much tbh!

I just really hope that they'll discharge me and just do the growth scans and GTT, but not holding out much hope for it!

Does anyone have any tips or advice etc regarding being consultant led for weight? x

In my experience they literally never weighed me again after booking even tho i was 15st at booking appointment. I was given a leaflet about healthy eating and it was never mentioned again so they might not even ask how much you've put on. Its the same this time was weughed at first appointment but have never been weighed again or asked how much I've gained. I've actually lost a stone from sickness! My consultant was never concerned about my bmi being 35,was just a case of a couple of growth scans and an appointment near due date where i asked if it would be ok for a water birth even tho i was over the weight limit slightly and she said would be fine. Don't worry it'll be fine xx

Yes, more than aware of all of that. Thank you

In my experience they literally never weighed me again after booking even tho i was 15st at booking appointment. I was given a leaflet about healthy eating and it was never mentioned again so they might not even ask how much you've put on. Its the same this time was weughed at first appointment but have never been weighed again or asked how much I've gained. I've actually lost a stone from sickness! My consultant was never concerned about my bmi being 35,was just a case of a couple of growth scans and an appointment near due date where i asked if it would be ok for a water birth even tho i was over the weight limit slightly and she said would be fine. Don't worry it'll be fine xx

Thank you, hopefully it won't be too stressful. I am eating healthy and being as healthy as I can for my baby's sake and for my own sake x

In most places now they will weigh you in the third trimester, for anaesthetic purposes. So around 36 weeks. This is so that in the event that you need any anaesthetics (local or general) they have a better idea of what doses you will need.

Yeah I just assumed I'd get weighed the whole way through as I have been 3 times already. if the consultant wants to see me about my BMI then I expect he will weigh me too lol x

My booking in BMI was 31.3, which of course is obese according to my midwife..but to be honest I never take much notice of these stupid things anyway :lol: , this pregnancy has been the worse one yet! I have gallstones, obstetric cholestatis and CMV (cyclomegalovirus) :/ I'm under a consultant due to my first being an emergency c section due to labour dystocia! :) i had a GTT at 30 weeks! Which was negative :) and being delivered at 38+3 due to all the above problems..can tell this one's a girl :lol: I still see midwives but for the birth I'll be under consultant care!

My first I was only slightly overweight..cant remember my bmi from last time, but i didn't have to have a GTT at all with him.. His was the most amazingly straight forward pregnancy ever! But Labour was hurrendous :/ 32 hours and labour dystocia :(

Good luck :)

Hi ladies hope you don’t mind me chiming in. Both my pregnancies I had a booking BMI of 34. My care was awful :( I was made to feel so ashamed and was told by the consultant to google my nearest over eaters annoymous group. My partner who is 6ft and 12 stone was a 10lb baby so I knew my youngest wasn’t going to be small. They put the fear of god of in me at my scans. I felt great but would dread my appointments which would subsequently put my BP up. I had 2 GTT tests which came back normal and they still made me attend the diabetic clinic and to check my blood sugars at home. I ended up agreeing to a c-sec which went fine. Sorry if this all sounds negative I just wish I was one of them mums who doesn’t give a shit about little comments but I really over analyse this stuff. This time around I’m under a different hospital so I really hope I can have a positive experience like you ladies have. Would love a vbac however the last consultant told me if I were to have anymore a c section would be booked early on.. thanks for listening ladies xx

Oh no TwoBoys that is absolutely awful :(

My first consultant appointment was shit, was just asked if I knew the risks - which I did so told her all of them. She went "oh you're quite educated on the subject then". Yes I am so please piss off and stop going on about it. She said there was nothing more for her to say and that I'd need a GTT at 26 weeks or whenever it is and that I'm not allowed to put on more than 5kg (11lb) throughout the whole pregnancy - which is near impossible to keep to 11lb!! Then she gave me a load of leaflets for healthy eating.

The next week I saw my midwife and she said my bloods came back really healthy so it is clear I've got a good diet ... wanted to shove my blood results in that woman's face.

Not sure when my next consultant appointment is, it might be Wednesday at my 20 week scan but will keep everyone updated.

Hope you have a better experience this time TwoBoys and get your VBAC xx

Thank you Jem. I really wish it wasnt like it and I hope being at a new hospital will help. My midwife was lovely and I related because she was on the ‘tubby’ side (her words) but my consultant was a petite hair blow dried, mark up artist at the ready! Bit intimidating when I’ve got tash sweat going on from jogging from the car park so I’m not late ��

Hope your 20 week goes well will you find out the sex? Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back