Nursery Problems

Kim

Reaction score
I'm having BIG BIG BIG nursery probs - namely I haven't got one lol!! We live with my partners 2 sons who are 10 and 18. We are getting the loft converted to allow enough space for the 5 of us (putting the 18 yr old up there), but the only way they can do it would be to put the stairs coming from what would be the babies bedroom. Obviously I don't want people contantly going through the babies room when he/she is sleeping, but we can't put baby in the other room because the airing cupboard is in there and it's boiling!! Any suggestions anyone??

MOVE HOUSE!!!! Lol

Your baby is priority, do what you feel is best for the baby

I can't move because we got this house so cheap it's the only reason we can afford the mortgage. If we moved we would only get enough for a 2 bedroomed house so we would be worse off. I'm sure we'll work something out, even if we have to lose some of our room to block off the stairs. Gonna ring the builder and ask him to come back and see what he can do.

we need to change our tickers- it should 17 weeks and 6 days

:D :D :D

Yeah I forgot - I asked my midwife and she said that's right because it changes on a Sunday and our due date (15 Jan) is a Sunday. I don't know???

why do you need a room for the baby?

the baby will stay with you untill its a year old surly??

so you have plenty of tme to worry about space.

I have a girl and a boy, 3 bedroom house, once the baby is born he or she will stay in my room till its a year, then he/she will share with either its big bro or big sis, depending on what sex it is

I'll be putting the nipper in their own room at 3 months old. I think more than 6 months is too long - plus - me and OH need our own space.

i am going to be putting baby in its own room early as well, from past experience with my nephews the longer they share a room with you the harder it is to get them i n a room of their own.

Amy was in her own room from 8 weeks, she sleeps 12 hours a night and never has problems with going to bed, plus i dont have to worry about disturbing her when i get in bed and you have the room to yourself which is better for your relationship.

Everyone has their own opinions and ways of doing things.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

What about just having loft ladder to the conversion for now?
I had a friend when I was younger who just used ladders. Or have you got an airing cupboard? couldn't you use that space somehow?

wow i admire you ladies then, i could never have my nbaby in a diffrent room to me that early, my midwifes always told me that cot death lasts up untill a year, altho rare after 4 months old.
it put the fear of god in to me so i had my two in with me till they were a year.

They both slept through teh night from a month old so they were never any trouble, i just had peace of mind knowing they were safe next to me

That is true about cot death, but to be honest you dont get any warning or anything so it could happen in any room, i still check on Amy every 15 minutes and when i go to bed its every couple of hours.

My friend had a baby sister that died of cot death, she checked on her 1 hour before and when she went back she was gone, now she's had a baby herself and because of what happened to her sister she sleeps downstairs with her daughter and wont go to sleep!!! :( :(
its a very sad sad thing to happen :(

If you worried about everything with a baby you would be a nervous wreck
What is it they say- they are sent to worry you!!

It is sooooo true!!

Ours will be going into the nursery as soon as he / she sleeps through the night. My brother died of cot death at 6 months, sleeping in mum and dads room, and mum made me so paranoid about it that with Daniel that I spent 6 months sleeping on the sofa with him in the crib, setting an alarm clock every ten minutes to check on him. Callum shared with us until about 7 months and Charlotte until about 3 months. Until they went into their own rooms, I spent most nights awake, jumping at every little sound to check on them, and it wasn't until Charlotte was 3 months old that I realised if the worst was going to happen, I wouldn't be warned by a grunt or squirm, I'd sleep through it. It was more important to me and the rest of the family that I was a proper mum, rather than a grumpy old bat who existed on 2 hours of broken sleep every night.

Tracy xx

That must have been terrible,

Like they say you cant detect it and you have no warning signs so iahve said to myself that they might as well get positive vibes from the start to make them more confident as they grow up, i have never had anything like that in my family so i have never had to worry (i'm one of the lucky ones)

I cant begin to imaging what it must be like and i feel for anyone who is put through the worry of it all. but you have to stay strong for your little ones cos as you say they need a proper mum at the end of the day.

:D :D :D :D :D

Keep smiling!

You girls are sooooo good - I think my hubby will want to swap me with one of you - I've told him baby is sleeping in with us until it's 16 :lol: :lol: :lol: He thinks I'm joking lol!

We will live 190 miles away from our nearest family so we have kept the spare room as a guest room for now, baby's cot and everything is in our room. Luckily we have a big room!

Sorry Kim, I've not been much help have I? - But I wouldn't worry too much about having a room ready for the baby as soon as it gets here....I think you may well have it in with you for a while!

Hope you manage to sort something out.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

OH wont have a loft ladder so that's out. I want the baby in their own room when I feel ready, not at a set age, and I want it to be available when I need it, I don't want to be messing about converting lofts and decorating with a baby to look after. Also, I want the paint to be completely dry so there's no paint smell or fumes. We have found a builder who can make a few alterations and make our room and babies room slightly smaller to accomodate the stairs so I think I'm sorted.

Thanks again!!

God I feel like a weirdo now, I've never planned on the baby sleeping in the same room as OH and me at all! Nursery from day 1! if sleeping for OH becomes an issue than I will sleep in the nursery to disturb him as little as possible with night feeds etc but I certainly dont plan for the baby to sleep in with us at all. OH is a very light sleeper and any little gurgle/hic/funny noises will keep him awake!

Kim, something to be aware of if your converting your loft, is that building regulations state that for a loft to be used as a bedroom it must have a window (in case of fire) and a fixed stairs (ie not an extending ladder) Just thought I would let you know as my mum had to check this out when she did her loft conversion.

Thanks Cat, we will be having a window round the back (need to have planning permission to have one facing the road) and fixed stairs (OH wont have a ladder anyway). I hate this, I just want it to be done lol!!

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions :D

layla said:
wow i admire you ladies then, i could never have my nbaby in a diffrent room to me that early, my midwifes always told me that cot death lasts up untill a year, altho rare after 4 months old.
it put the fear of god in to me so i had my two in with me till they were a year.

Girls i have seen these things in a catalog that are like two flat sheets that fit underneath the babies materss and they monitor the babies heartbeat if it starts to slow or is worring for any reason an alarm will go off i no i am getting some!!

iv seen them aswell scrared 19. if the baby doesnt move then an alarm goes off, but what if baby is a still sleeper and alarm is going off every 5 minutes? i will look into getting one though, dont think they are cheap. My baby moniter has sound sensitive lights and if no sound is detected an alarm goes off. x x

the one i have seen is well cheap and it is in with you i think so if they are a light slepper atleast it wont wake them i will still get one i think cuz i would rather be safe but you are so right!! where abouts you from by the way from your pic you look vagly familier???? might just be me with preggers head on tho lol :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back