Number of feeds???

Jo

Reaction score
Ok i know this will sound like a silly question especially as i already have one child, but please bear with me it was 7 years ago.

Jack is taking 6oz(nearly 7 when made up, you know what i mean) but is only taking 4 bottles a day now because he is sleeping through, am still sorta demand feeding because he is going like 4 or 5 hours between.

Ok i'm babbling but do you think he is getting enough?

my way of thinking is that if he wasn't he would be taking it more frequently wouldn't he???

He sleeps from about 6.30 to between 6.00/8.00

Last time i went to clinic he was 10lb 8oz and they said that was great weight gain that was 4week ago

Help put mind at rest please, cos you lot are so good at that :)

Hi!

My bubby Isaac is 2 weeks old and is having 4 fl oz every 3-4 hours including through the night. On average 6 feeds every 24 hours. Occasionally I have given him a little 40-60ml "top up" feed if he wakes mid 4 hourly cycle just to get him back off to sleep and he seems to be gaining weight as he should and he seems content.

Not a huge help to you I know but I can understand you being concerned that Jack is not getting enough if you compare his feeds to Isaac's just for example. I think you would know if he wasn't getting enough though because he would be crying alot and not settling after his feeds I would have thought.

I tried giving Isaac more than 4 fl oz as he still seemed hungry when he finished his bottles but it just gave him trapped wind so I lowered his feeds again but started the top up feeds like I said before and it seems to have done the trick.

good luck!

Lou :)

Thanks Lou
You see i cant see point in making bigger feeds as he doesnt always drain them and sometimes i have started on other bottle when he hsa drained but not interested,
I dont know :?

Well if he seems content then I wouldnt worry but just mention it when you are at the clinic next or give your midwife a ring and tell her about it, thats what they are there for as they always say.

I am also giving Isaac drinks of cooled boiled water after feeds because as I'm sure you already know, formula doesn't quench their thirst like breast milk does.

Good luck!

I think that if he was not gaining weight then to maybe question it but if he's happy with the amount you give him then I wouldnt worry too much if he's hungry does he cry? if so then you know that there isnt a problem as he would just keep on crying again until you fed him. You proberbly just have a very good baby who has gotten himself into a routine

MIchelle yeah he only cries when hungry, i suppose i have got a good baby who is in brilliant routine, i guess i thought it wuldnt be this easy, and i can't remember properly what Emily was like.

I must be lucky but am not counting my chickens yet!!! lol

Phoebe is a month old now and is having 120mls (just over 4oz) every 4 hours. She has her last feed at 1am and normally wakes bang on 5am for her next feed. But then she often sleeps quite happily until about 11am without feed so goes a good 6hrs. And the 11am bottle always takes about 45mins for her to drink!! You'd think she'd be starving but obviously not!!
I'm a bit concerned that Phoebe isn't drinking enough now too having read some of the posts. But she seems content and she does have one 60ml top up feed in the evening when she seems to be hungrier.
I'm sure we'd soon know if they were hungry though because they'd be crying wouldn't they :?:

Hello,
I lifted my baby who slept all night as well at about 11 before I went to bed and fed her without waking her. I changed her as well but after a while the nappies got drier and I stopped that. I stopped this at about 3-4 months when I started her on solids.
Hope this help. Like the other posts say if they are hungry they arent shy in letting you know.

LAura.

careys taking 3/4 oz every 3/4 hours. ii tried to feed on demand like the MW suggested every 4 hours but if i wake him for a feed he refuses it. hes in a routine having his last bottle at 11pm and then again at about 4am and then again at around 8am.

MW thinks everythings ok so im not worried but sometimes he can go 8hours only having 5/6oz

After his feeds i have to lay on his on side with a dummy before he will burp and this can sometimes take one and a half to 2 hours!!!

MW suggested infacol but not had the chance to get it yet! any suggestions?

amyknight88 said:
careys taking 3/4 oz every 3/4 hours. ii tried to feed on demand like the MW suggested every 4 hours but if i wake him for a feed he refuses it. hes in a routine having his last bottle at 11pm and then again at about 4am and then again at around 8am.

MW thinks everythings ok so im not worried but sometimes he can go 8hours only having 5/6oz

After his feeds i have to lay on his on side with a dummy before he will burp and this can sometimes take one and a half to 2 hours!!!

MW suggested infacol but not had the chance to get it yet! any suggestions?

Hi

My mum showed me a good way of bringing up Isaac's wind. When they are on your lap being winded with your hand under their chin you gently tip them backwards so they are head down slightly then lift them back up. It doesn't work every time with Isaac but most of the time it really makes him burp! I am lucky because Isaac isn't hardly ever sick but if he was then the tilting back could be a recipe for disaster lol

I have bought infacol and have been tempted to try it but you give it before feeds which seems a bit odd to me. I would rather only give it when I know he needs it. I know prevention is better than cure and all that but even still it seems a bit daft to give a medicine incase he gets wind. I also have gripe water but I havent read the instructions yet, it might be better?

work out how many ounces you give in 24 hours and then look on the packet of the formula your using, it will give you guidelines of how much your baby should be having.

alana has some days where she eats and eats and other days when she has only a few bottles.

we brought some scales that measure in lb's and weigh her every few weeks, she has but on exactly 2lb every month.

Ava is now 5 months old and has 6-7oz at most per feed. Feeding habits will vary from baby to baby...Just make sure he's gaining weight and voice any concerns with his doctor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back