Nuchal scan

LMatt89

Reaction score
Hi all ��

I need some advice/reassurance please. I had my dating scan today (according to period I was supposed to be 13+2 but baby measures 14 weeks dead on and this is what they go by), I opted for the nuchal test too. Lady didn't say much during scan just that I was measuring 14weeks and that's it. So I had my bloods done and was told if anything is wrong they'll call within 2 days, otherwise expect my results in the post. So anyway I checked my notes after and it said "nuchal translucency 2.9mm" out of sheer curiosity I googled this (stupid maybe but the sonographer said nothing at the scan so I wanted to know what it meant) and it doesn't sound good? Or does it? Apparently it's on the high end of normal but from what I found it tends to mean high risk? So confused I never had this test with my first child so I'm feeling really anxious �� I'm only 26 if that helps

Last edited:
Hey love

I think anything over 3.5mm is classed as high risk, so try and focus on the good points that the sonographer wasnt alarmed and its below high risk.

Youll get your results in the post and if there is anything worrying you could get further testing.

At this stage I really wouldnt worry unless you need to Im sure all is well.

xxxx

Oh, seen this - hope it helps:

The nuchal translucency or (NT) scan is part of the Down’s syndrome screening programme. The sonographer will make sure your baby is lying in the correct position and measure a small pocket of fluid at the back of the baby’s neck. This measurement is then usually used along with a blood test and your age to calculate a statistical chance of your baby having Down’s syndrome.

If the NT measurement is outside the normal range, which is usually 3.5mm and above, you will be told as this can sometimes be an indicator of a problem in the baby’s development. You will be offered an appointment with a consultant to discuss the possible implications. Although this can be worrying, it is important to remember that many babies whose NT measurement is higher than average are healthy.

xxxx

To reassure you - the bigger the baby the bigger the fold.

At 14 weeks you are right at the end of the time they can measure it and take it into consideration for the tests.

So if you'd had this scan at 11 or 12 weeks it would have measured much smaller. They will take the babies gestational age into consideration.

Your bloods will also be an important factor. So try not to worry -easier said than done I know - and remember this is still in the normal range. The measurements does affect your overall results but your bloods will change this anyway so hold on and you are still in the normal range..

If there had been a big problem they would have flagged it with you there and then.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back