Nuchal Fold Test

s

Reaction score
Any idea if you can have this done before the 13 week stage?
My hospital have allowed me to have a scan at 12 weeks before my husband goes away but say I may have to come back for the NF Test.
S

I had mine on both pregnancies at 12 weeks (12+1 & 12+3). I thought that was when they always did it but every health authority seems to be different!!

Tan x

Hi S,

They have to do the NT scan before 13+6 as otherwise measurement will not be valid as not accurate enough.

They should be able to do it at same time as your dating scan at 12 weeks like mine was yesterday ...

I feel stupid but what is the NT scan?

I've had my 12 weeks scan and i have an appoitment booked for a 20 week scan...

x

Hey Hayley,

NT scan is the Nuchal Translucency measurement scan.. to assess the risk of down's syndrome. They don't offer it to everyone but there is a blood test that your midwife will do for you as an alternative to assess the risk.

xx

thanks anne marie! feel silly now...

I go for my blood tests this monday. I think they put you in catogory of either low risk or high risk... if your results put you in the high cat then i think they offer more tests.

X

Yes the blood tests are an alternative to the NT scan.. not many hospitals offer the scan on NHS.. some say the blood tests are as accurate so don't worry.

If you are concerned about the result talk to your midwife about options..
All will be fine.. !! :D

I go for my blood tests tomorrow - doies anyone kow how long i have to wait for the results. I had a few blood tests taken at my first scan, which i haven't heard back from yet! I didn't realise how many urine samples and blood tests we'd have to go thru...

Anyway.. i wasn't nervous at all about spina biffader or downs testing... the MD really put me at ease! she made a silly comments "your still a baby yourself - you'll have nothing to worry about" but now the time has come to have these tests i'm feeling a bit nervous. I'm 31 not 21... a friend has recently been told she has a 1 in 3 chance of having a downs baby, she is 34.

We worry that we mightn't be able to fall pregant. When we do we worry about everything and anything that coud go wrong!!! i think being a mother is going to be lone big worry! but i'mnot complaining - honestly..

It's so true isn't it? The worrying only really starts when we get pregnant! I hope it goes well Hayley. I'm afraid I've no idea when you would get the results back but I hope it's soon.
Good luck with it. Let us know how you get on,
S

Hi Hayley,

I had my downs and spina bifida blood tests last week, my midwife said I will get the results by letter usually within 2 weeks.

You can pay for the NT scan privately as very few places offer them as routine but as Anna Marie said you have to have it before 14 weeks.

Hayley

My downs syndrome / spina bifida test results came back within 2 weeks - don't worry you will be fine.

Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania89
Back