NT - high HCG levels

NottingHillMum

Reaction score
Hello,
I hope someone can help. I'm 14+4. I had the NT test last Monday. Today I received a phone call from the hospital telling me my NT test was low. Oh great, I said, I thought you only rang if there's a problem. We do, said the other voice on the line :shock:
Apparently I have a very HCG level - the normal is below 5. Mine is 8.73 so now I've been referred to the fetal medicine unit and I am classed as high risk. I have to have a scan every four weeks as apparently high HCG means the placenta is not working properly.
Does anyone have experience with this? I've tried googling, but there isn't much info on there (too many results about hcg levels in women 1-2 weeks pregnant)
Look forward to hearing from you
xx

Hi, didn't want to read and run, but I really have no idea. Tried googling but can't find much. Really hope you're given some more info soon. Big hugs xxxx

Have they offered you any further screening? My NT was OK too but my bloodwork gave a risk of 1:77. I don't know if my papp-a was low or if my hcg was high, or both, but I'm having an amnio on 28th April to look for chromosomal abnormalities.

Thank you for replying CherryBelly and Inky. Inky - no they said my combined NT and blood test was low - in fact lower than the usual risk associated with someone my age (I'm 33). I've had the harmony test privately as well and waiting for that to come back- though if I'm honest, I did this to find out the gender. This HCG thing is something else and to do with the placenta but I can't find anything about it online - even my GP didn't know! So frustrating. Hopefully it's just some new advance in medicine and they're being super cautious. At least I get a scan every 4 weeks! Good luck with your amnio on 28th xxx

Tri hopping but had a google for you as I've got horrendous insomnia (the joys) and I found quite a few people with the same issues, too many to list I typed into Google 'high hcg placental problems' and that search seemed to bring the most info. Hope that helps.
From what I can see some people had no effect from it but it is a marker of stillbirth risk so it's a positive thing that they've picked it up now. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back