Novel beta readers :)

SockVortex

Reaction score
Sorry to clutter up the forum with non-pregnancy related stuff but I figured this could be a good distraction for anyone wanting to take their minds of TTC.

I've been writing a book for six years and am looking for beta readers for the most recent draft!

The novel is called The Liar, the Thief and the Gallows. It's a young adult historical fantasy and is 96k words long. I can format the document to be Kindle (and most e-reader formats) readable but will also happily send a PDF file if that's easier.

The novel will be ready for sending no later than the 1st of November.

So what does SockVortex need?

1. Roughly a month of your time (dependent on how fast you read)

2. Your willingness to fill out some feedback forms! I work in market research (as a graphic designer but it rubs off on you haha) and have developed some simple questionnaires with two short questions per chapter. The idea is that every four chapters you can request a questionnaire and then fill it out and email it back to me before you lose track of your thoughts about those particular chapters. This way you're not answering twenty seven chapters worth of questions at the end of the book when you might not remember the start as well as you'd like.

What will you get in return?

1. A free copy of my book.

2. The newly designed artwork of the front cover.

3. The pleasure of knowing you've really helped someone out?

4. A promise to be listed by name in the acknowledgment's section if it's ever published as a real book!

Ok, tempt me! What's the book about?

Here's the blurb!

On her seventeenth birthday, Princess Ayella receives two presents. The first is the truth: the brother she thought was dead is alive. The second is a lie: a secret betrothal to the Frankish Prince Javey, designed to end in his murder at her hand.

Ayella must become more than the downtrodden daughter who meekly obliges. The Brettish throne has no male heir and Frankish king Julien is set on claiming it for himself. To save Bretton, Javey and herself, she decides to find her missing brother before the wedding. Unfortunately for Ayella, her father would prefer he stayed missing.

Wanted thief Robin is kidnapped by Twist, a calculating theatre director. Twist offers protection from the law, providing Robin enacts his audacious solution to the theft of the ultimate prize: the coronation crown. The problem? Robin can’t remember his plan and one touch of gold is enough to kill a commoner.

To escape is to abandon the only clues to the gaps in his memory. If he stays he risks his life. Treading the line between the man he was and the man he wants to be, Robin must decide how far he’s willing to go to survive.

Sound good?

If anyone is interested you can either PM me with your email address or add me on Facebook (I'm creating a beta readers group there where you can easily download all the files).

Thanks guys! :D

Last edited:
That sounds interesting. Not sure now to pm though xx

That sounds interesting. Not sure now to pm though xx

There's a little envelope symbol in the top right hand corner of the screen. I think if you click on that you should be able to direct a message to me?

Alternatively, I can work out how to send one to you, haha.

I tried that, but said I was unable to message you xx

I tried that, but said I was unable to message you xx

Ok problem solved. I, in my infinite wisdom, had a box unchecked on my profile x__x Everyone should be able to message me now! Haha.

I remember when you first said about this a while ago! I’m definitely interested, I’ll pm you as I don’t have Facebook x

I'd love to be beta reader. I'm currently doing that for one of my sons stories.
I was looking to pm you, but I'm too blind to find the envelope ( even though I'm wearing my glasses right now Haha)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back