Not really baby related... Contraception

Colleen1988

Reaction score
Has anyone had the copper coil fitted?? Experiences please?? Xx

Am following this one - getting it put in tomorrow!!! Had enough of hormones and want to go more natural!

I've got a mirena- love it! Bit uncomfortable being put in, bleed/spotted for 6 weeks after but now when I get periods there pretty non existent (party liner rather than a pad every hour kinda thing)

Ive had enough of hormones... Ive not heard good things about the insertion so nervous about that! Im having it done on 23rd, soonest my gp could get me in. Xxx

Iv also got the mirena coil. Having it fitted was uncomfy but didn't hurt. Had it fitted September and I don't have periods at all. Which is fab haha. I couldn't reccomend it enough x

Thanks hun, all ive heard is horror stories so it's nice to hear something positive xxx

I have a copper coil as I didn't want to have hormones. I had my first fitted before my baby and it hurt like hell. I got heavy periods for 3 months which then settled back to the usual 3 days start to finish

Since having my daughter I got another and honestly I didn't feel a thing. The speculum is uncomfortable but if you've had a smear you know what that's like. I didn't actually know she'd inserted it. Again I had painful week long periods for 3 months but now they've settled again to 4 days.

I love mine and highly recommend, no hormones and no having to remember anything.

Oh and when I had my last one out I fell pregnant 3rd month- you're fertile straight away

I had my copper coil for 2.5 years after getting it fitted after a smear when my son was 6m old.

Had no bleeding or cycle issues, until September. I managed to fall pregnant (obviously not know/suspect) then wake up after a weeks bleed (assuming AF) to a big bleed. Turns out I had carried to 6w then had a MC.

I got my coil out and decided we would TTC. Not too sure about after this one is here what we will use - I did love my coil, but also do not wanna risk it falling/rejecting which is what it did and therefore me falling pregnant and MCing. It was actually quite frightening as had to go to EPU for emergency scans in case of ectopic as your more at risk of that with a coil pregnancy.

xxxx

I'm contemplating getting sterilised as I don't want any more children and I don't like most contraceptives. Like most here, the hormone ones just don't sit well with me, hate condoms, and not too sure about the coil either - aren't there side affects like weight gain and headaches - I less could do with less of both of those as it is.

I'd discuss the options over with your GP. At my 6 week post natal check up my GP tried to swerve me off sterilisation and pushed towards the copper coil. I'm still undecided but feel sterilisation is my best option - obviously not an option if you are planning to have more children in the future.

I didn't like the idea of the coil. I hated the idea of something random wedged in my womb or when I had hormonal that sent me fat spotty and Moody.

I obviously fell pregnant on the coil but now I have no idea what we will use after this one.

I want ideally 3 but never see myself getting sterilization even if I knew for sure I didn't want any. Its a big choice to make and I admire you for going this route.

I loved my coil before it failed. My cycles were regular if anything I lost weight and never fell pregnant for a while. Unfortunately my body didn't like it as much as my brain did.

I hate condoms too. Most unromantic invention ever lol.

xxxx

I was thinking about sterilisation as I don't want anymore children but my LO is only 9 month and im only 27 so I may change my mind 1 day (totally adamant im not though haha)

Im Defo having the copper coil fitted and will see how it goes, going to take some pain relief before I have it fitted just in case.

Thanks for all yor replies ️xxx

I don't know about headaches but I personally don't believe the copper coil can cause weight gain. There's no hormones so why would it? And I say that as someone who did gain weight. I was 8.5 stone from age 17 when I started the pill to 22 when I got my first coil. No matter what I ate I didn't gain any weight. Once I got my coil I shot up to 9.5 stone but I think the pill had just stabilised my weight for a long time, I didn't mind I got boobs and hips but I think it had more to do with the pill than coil, I've been between 9.5 and 10 ever since

I was thinking about sterilisation as I don't want anymore children but my LO is only 9 month and im only 27 so I may change my mind 1 day (totally adamant im not though haha)

Im Defo having the copper coil fitted and will see how it goes, going to take some pain relief before I have it fitted just in case.

Thanks for all yor replies ️xxx

Yeah take some painkiller and have a hot water bottle that evening as you probably will get period cramps, also put a pad on as you may spot

Coil might be the better option for you then? It lasts a good 10 years anyway. My first thought was to have the coil then get sterilised, or hope the menopause would kick in :lol: But now I'm just thinking of going straight to the main event.

Just because I'm undecided myself, how does the coil affect periods? Mine are super heavy and painful anyway :-(

The copper coil (with no hormones) "can" cause heavier more painful periods. I think for most people it does for a few months then settles down

The one with hormones, mirena, "can" make periods pretty much none existent. My friend had one and for the first 6 months she took a pregnancy test every month as she had no period and was paranoid

Im having mine fitted today, I can cope with heavier periods etc, can't cope with crazy hormones haha. I'll let you know how it goes. If it's not right for me I'll have it removed and try other contraceptoves but im going to give it a good 6 months before I decide if it's right or not. Eeeeek wish me luck, im taking some co-codomol before I go, my friend said its so painful =| xxx

Hi ive got the copper coil!! The first three weeks were a little uncomfortable and i was paranoid about it falling out. But its been 3 months and i can honestly say its been fantastic! Ive lost a little weight ...im calmer ... i feel just better on it. Go for it. It will hurt a little for a few weeks then its fab xx

Thanks hun, I had it put in on Monday, been bleeding since but im sure that will calm down :) xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back