not pregnancy related- anyone work for social services?

tilly16

Reaction score
Hello Ladies,

I am hoping someone can help me. I apologise as this is not even remotely related to pregnancy or children.

My Grandad was diagnosed with secondary cancer of the lungs a few months ago which he has been under going treatment for. He is the sole carer for my Grandma who has alzheimers. Up until now he has managed fine on his own and has refused any professional help.

He has deteriorated over the last few weeks and after a recent scan they have found a blood clot on his lung which is causing him to be breathless and he is really struggling with my Grandma.

He has admitted today that he needs help, the main problem is we live 4.5hrs away from him!

I am just wondering if anyone knows how we go about getting him help and asap I have tried looking on the social services website but there doesn't seem to be a lot of information and the phones are only open mon-fri. I have also looked for private care but cannot seem to find carers that go into the home to help rather than her going into a care home.

Any help would be really helpful thanks ladies xxx

I did! Which local authority is he under? They should have an out of hours team or emergency social services. If you let me know, I'll see what info I can find for you xx

Last edited:
My signal is all over the show, leave details I'll look as soon as I can. In the meantime try google emergency social services in 'xxxx' and if that fails, try contacting the local authority switchboard that should give you out of hours number. Or ring local hospital and they will have details. Explain there you're concerned there's going to be a break down in care xx

Fantastic thank you very much! He is in hospital at the moment having some treatment so will get him to raise it with them!! xx

You could get some charities involed also my mum has age concern going in to do things for her. The hospital should refer at your request.

Fantastic thank you very much! He is in hospital at the moment having some treatment so will get him to raise it with them!! xx

They have social work teams within the hospital and will do an assessment before discharging. Your grandfather may benefit from a self assessment and a carers assessment. At Doncaster where I used to work, they could get short break vouchers so the person being cares for could go in respite without arranging with the ss team. Ask to speak with the discharge facilitator on the ward. If your grandad is struggling with personal care tasks in hospital they will have already alerted ss and he can't be discharged until assessment is done xx

Definitely speak to the hospital and possibly Macmillan as they are there to support the family too so may have contacts who can help (and can help your grandad too when he's home). Hope you get things sorted x

Thank you ladies!! My Mum is going down tomorrow and my cousin is with him at the moment so that sorts out the immediate care xxx

My Dad had lung cancer and Macmillan were amazing. Told my Mum all the avenues they could use and also the financial help they could get. Without them my Mum would have been lost. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back