not getting pay rise due to going on maternity leave :(

Reaction score
I was given a pay rise in December but I was not happy with this rate as another employee within my work is on a higher rate of pay with a lot less responsibility than myself.
I discussed this with my boss and was told this wasn't solely down to roles and responsibilities, it was due to the employee's length of employment and my boss said my rate of pay would be reviewed In 6 months when my length of employment was equivalent . I sent my boss a letter to arrange this meeting as it is coming up to the 6months and today my boss was very weird with me today and told me this meeting would be taking place on Friday after work.

I know my boss isn't going to give me an increase in pay due to finding out from someone else in my work (my boss had mentioned to this person) .

I feel this is because I am due to take my maternity leave and feel it is unfair to have more responsibility in my work for less pay!! Plus why tell me this is going to be reviewed and then no give me an increase ???

What should I say on Friday when I'm told no ??

Saying its going to be reviewed doesn't guarantee a pay increase, it just mean its going to be reviewed! Maybe it has been reviewed & theyve decided they cant justify paying you more for several reasons....Current market rates, performance, business performance, other financial strains or dustribution of budget. Have you got anything in writing to say you will get an increase? x

Just so your aware if your eligble for a pay rise then you have to get it even if your on maternity as still fully employed, i got the biggest rise ive ever had while on maternity, shame i left tho so didnt really benefit!!

It sounds pretty bad of them, might be a good time to join a union! The problem is always proving that your maternity leave is the reason, unless they're stupid enough to admit it. See what they say. It's illegal to discriminate against someone for being pregnant. They'll have time come up with some other reasons. Good luck hun xxx

Saying its going to be reviewed doesn't guarantee a pay increase, it just mean its going to be reviewed! Maybe it has been reviewed & theyve decided they cant justify paying you more for several reasons....Current market rates, performance, business performance, other financial strains or dustribution of budget. Have you got anything in writing to say you will get an increase? x
No I don't have anything in writing but they cant justify paying someone i'm in charge of more money.
Plus I did state I was only accepting the rate of pay with the aspect of being reviewed in 6months as my boss was very aware I was not happy and the only reason I was not given the pay I wanted was due to length of employment and this is why it was initiated by my boss it would be reviewed in 6months as my length of employment would be the same and no other reason other than this was given. This is what makes me think this is because my maternity leave is soon.

It sounds pretty bad of them, might be a good time to join a union! The problem is always proving that your maternity leave is the reason, unless they're stupid enough to admit it. See what they say. It's illegal to discriminate against someone for being pregnant. They'll have time come up with some other reasons. Good luck hun xxx
Thank you. I think I could prove I am due this as

1. The person on the higher rate is taking my work to court as they are claiming I was given their job but my work claim this was never their job. So if this is true why would this person be on a higher rate of pay ?? I don't think my boss would want that in court as the employee would have a fair point .
2. My boss knew I wasn't happy with my rate of pay this is why it was to be reviewed in 6 months and was initiated by my boss
3. The only reason I was given for not being on a higher pay rate was due to length of employment but now our length of employment is the same
4. My boss has said on several occasion to other employees and myself how much better at the job I am than the person on the higher rate
5. I am in charge of the other person , why would I be on a lower rate as I clearly do more work

This has got to be down to me going on maternity

x

Sounds like you have a very good case. Might be worth taking an independent witness into meeting if you can. Definitely stay nice and calm and have your arguments ready. Xx

It would be very, very difficult to prove this was pregnancy related, and dependant on the size of the business you work, it could cause an awful lot more problems for you to take this further so be very wary.

This isn't me saying don't do it because you won't have a case, but consider the very worst outcome. You have to prove their discriminating against them, and to get other employees to back you up might be difficult, they would be in a much stronger position than you.

Just an ask, are you on performance related pay? This is the case with my employer, so makes for many of us on different rates of pay, regardless of length of service.
Your employer cannot discriminate against you for being pregnant. I'm getting a payrise in july but havent been in the business since mid november, but due to being green the rest of the year I get it.
if your pay is in line with your performance for the year then that's fair, if you get me?
How often are your pay rises?
Also you say your boss told you that you were better at the job, do you have a review document where all this is recorded? People can say one thing about how you are doing but when it comes down to it not actually mean it.

Go in there and be forceful and say you want clear reasons for not getting your payrise, what you are doing wrong and how they are going to support you to get there.
Sorry for the ramble!

I will see what my boss has to say on Friday and ask exactly why Im not getting the pay rise as last time it was due to length of employment and this is not a valid point now xx

I think you've got a lot of points that regardless of the pregnancy issue you should bring up with your employee. Might be worth getting it in writing and asking for a response in writing.

The only one I'm not sure about is managing people who are paid more than you. My husband manages several people who earn considerably more than him (length of service mainly) and I know several other people who have said the same - whether it be length of service or the starting rate they negotiated or something else. I'm not sure that there's any requirement for them to pay you more for being in charge, but I think you could be well placed asking them to show it's a fair rate based on everything they take into consideration when awarding pay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back