Not comfortable with the prenatal care I'm getting?

Robec

Reaction score
Hi everyone! This is my first post :)
I'm in my second trimester, 16 weeks and everything had been going so smoothly.... until yesterday!
I had chosen a prenatal clinic close to my home, a month ago I went to my first ultrasound (and first visit at this clinic) and everything went great. As I am 38 years old we decided to get bloodwork testing just to be on the safe side. They call a few days later saying everything is great and nothing to worry about.

Well, yesterday was my second appointment.... first thing they tell me is that what I paid them last time for the ultrasound (self-paid at the moment) should have been double and "please pay that now" even though I checked with them what the total cost would be three times (!) before my visit. So I got very upset (hormones and all.... ) and almost cried - which really isn't like me lol. But anyway, that wasn't the worst.
I come in to see the doctor and she is going over my blood work from a month ago and now she says "oh, your thyroid level is too high, someone really should have flagged that. You have to start on medication to fix this". She made it sound like it wasn't a big deal - definitely nothing to worry about pregnancy related. I come home and start reading about it and it DEFINITELY is a concern! Untreated it can cause miscarriage, premature birth, development issues with fetus are to name a few.

I had blood work done for 1100 dollars and they missed something as important as Hypothyroidism..... should I be worried? I don't know if it's a good idea to change clinic during the pregnancy but I kinda also wanna feel safe......

I have no advice for you as most women on this forum live in Europe where health care is free (or almost). I do think 1100 dollars is an absurd amount of money!!

I would ask for another opinion but I'm not sure if you will have to pay even more as they will want to test you again.
Have they started treatment for hypothyroidism?x

I have no advice for you as most women on this forum live in Europe where health care is free (or almost). I do think 1100 dollars is an absurd amount of money!!

I would ask for another opinion but I'm not sure if you will have to pay even more as they will want to test you again.
Have they started treatment for hypothyroidism?x
I have started treatment today yes.... I'm also from Europe, haven't been in the US very long and get shocked every time something medical comes up..... makes me wanna move back!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back