Not allowed to carry baby?

Discussion in 'Third Trimester' started by Doodles, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Doodles

Doodles Well-Known Member

I've heard that your not allowed to carry your baby while in hospital + that instead you have to wheel them around in their cots, is this true? I've been warned that I could be in for up to 5 days due to a c-section + feel that's far too long to not be allowed to carry my baby. Anyone know what the case is? x

2. babyslog

babyslog Well-Known Member

Huh!? Never heard that before!
    I carried him, so did OH an my mum.. Aswell as the midwives in the middle of the night!
    And it wasnt any different for women tht had c secs either they were up and about also carrying them xx

3. Doodles

Thanks hun, was really worrying me x

4. Rednursie

Rednursie Well-Known Member

I had this conversation with my pregnant colleagues-If you are being transferred between wards or departments then baby needs to be in a cot, not carried-Or in Mums arms if Mum is in a wheelchair. Its in case-God forbid-you would drop the baby.

5. Heather85

Heather85 Well-Known Member

Think it depends on the hospital. We weren't allowed to, had to wheel her around. Xxx

6. Les1504

Les1504 Well-Known Member

Hi we weren't allowed to carry babies in the corridors, they had to be in a cot but within the ward or around your own room was fine! X

7. giz

giz Well-Known Member

Yeah our hospital had that rule. So if you went to shower, or feeding room, or changing room you had to wheel the baby there. You can obviously pick baby up and walk around your bed etc!

----------------
    baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
    next one due 12th Aug 2013

8. redbear

redbear Well-Known Member

We where allowed to Terry was walking around the room with her talking to her, both times lol. And two mw's there never said anything. x

9. babyslog

babyslog Well-Known Member

I was also allowe him in my arms in a wheelchair when i got transferred to the ward after delivery xx

10. Heather85

Heather85 Well-Known Member

We had to leave ours. I got sent for a shower after all my visitors had left, I was like "eh what do I do with her?"

11. l_maclean

l_maclean Well-Known Member

Think it caries between hospitals Hun. Health and safety gone crazy really

12. k8_005

k8_005 Well-Known Member

Hiya am out of hosp this morn every transfer or walk to changing room I was not allowed to carry h he was wheeled in cot that said I could pick him up for cuddles whenever etc I was only really in overnight and think because blood loss trauma and drugs (pethadine) they just need to ensure you don't drop It certainly hasn't affected his bonding with me x

13. Lulubelle

Lulubelle Well-Known Member

I wasn't allowed to after my section, he needed to be wheeled in his cot. Mind you, 5 days in hospital after a section seems like a lot!! I guess thats a worse case scenario rather than a likely outcome (certainly in my area anyway!)

14. redbear

redbear Well-Known Member

I know you cant change them on your knee, I always change my babies across my knee and automatically went to do it with Tempy and was told its not allowed because someone did it dropped there baby and sued the hospital! x

15. umbongo

umbongo Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if you're in for 5 days even with a section hun. Try not to worry about it. Even if they have health and safety rules about wheeling baby about you'll still be able to hold her say next to your bed or for feeding etc. I'm sure some hospitals are just over cautious and don't want woozy new mums tripping up with babies in the corridor as they're scared of being sued (sad but true).
    Don't stress about it lovely xxx

16. Constantstar

Constantstar Well-Known Member

I had a section on a Monday evening and was out wed afternoon!! Conveyor belt comes to mind lol

mummy to ds 11/7/11
    pregnant *team pink* due 12/9/13

17. Doodles

Thank you ladies, feeling a lot better about it now x

18. tiaflame

tiaflame Well-Known Member

I had to wheel k around, I carried him out into the corridor to get some milk and got told off! Also got told off for changing his nappy on my bed!! Xx