No steamer

CARNAT22

Reaction score
Space is an issue so I could do without another kitchen gizmo, also I hope to move to BLW mainly.

I am sure I read that you can steam veg in a colinder over a saucepan of boiling water?

Anyone done this? Or do I need a steamer?

xxxxxx

Steamers are a bit quicker and easier but yes, this works. I've done it at Christmas when the steamer is full (I cook for 16!) xx

Yep I do it. It is a bit slower though as some steam escapes xx

I've got some broccoli I want to try today.

I normally boil it for us, literally for a couple of minutes so it's barely cooked but for James it is better to steam?

xxxxxxxx

Steaming is always better than boiling, it maintains more good stuff. I think the veg tastes better too.
Steamed sprouts are lovely, carrots, cauli, broccoli and cabbage is all lovely steamed x

I'm sure that would work :)
You can also buy pans with the steamer bit on top, so boil something underneath and steam whatever's on top. You could probably just buy the attachment instead of the whole thing iykwim x

I don't have a steamer, I just boil. I don't put much water in and don't over cook.

tapatalking

Proud mummy of Seren 15 Nov 2010 & Bethan 12 Oct 2012

I don't have a steamer, I have a pot with holes in the bottom, you sit it on a pan of boiling water.
Iv always been meaning to buy a steamer but never got round to it.xx

We have a stacked pan which acts as a steamer? It's great and doesn't take up much space it works very similar to using a pan collander with a glass lid x

The collander over boiling water and lid is working a treat.

I may still invest in a small steamer, I couldn't find the one that goes over a pan though??

xxxxxxxx

Ive always boiled a pan of water and turned it rifht down with the lid on when added veg.
Is that not steaming x

Ive always boiled a pan of water and turned it rifht down with the lid on when added veg.
Is that not steaming x

That sounds like boiling hun. With steaming the veggies/whatever don't touch the water, they are cooked by rising steam. Either is a perfectly valid way to cook :) xx

We just boil the veg x

tapatalking x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back